Visiting Portland (Fall/Winter 2013-14 update)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by guajolote, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. artoolemomo

artoolemomo Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2009 Oregon

Tin Bucket (Portland's Growler Station) had American football on all of their TVs last Sunday. With the sound off and jazz playing. I thought that was a nice balance- beer bar vibe but you still get to watch the game if you want.

Reino likes this.
  2. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'll throw in a recommendation for Claudia's over on 30th and SE Hawthorne's. They've got the usual massive array of flat screen TV's, and have the NFL ticket. Draft selection is good, but doesn't sound like it compares to any of the Blitz spots. However, prices are pretty reasonable, and if you're into IPA's, you can expect to find things like Boneyard RPM, Descender, Sculpin, Gigantic IPA and the like. Last week they even had Killer Green and Killer Red on tap, so the selection is pretty solid (they typically have around 12 different beers on tap). They sell draft beer by the pint, half pitcher and full pitcher. Food is your usual pub grub selections, with pizza and a few greek options thrown in for good measure (Gyro's are definitely pretty decent). Vibe is delightfully dark and divey, with a separate pool room if you're into playing some pool while watching the game(s). They also have one giant screen, showing whatever game the crowd most wants to watch. The early games tend to get a pretty good size crowd (so get there early if you want to get a table), but things lighten up considerable for the afternoon games usually.

3. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

NFL/Portland/Beer related:

Being a Wisconsinite at heart, I'll need a family-friendly place to watch the Packers game November 10th (10am) after the HotD 20th Anniversary.

Any recommendations? (I went to a bar years and years ago in Portland that was pretty Packers-focused, but I have no idea where it was, or if it'd allow my daughter.)

4. honkduh

honkduh Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

Sounds like Saraveza

www.saraveza.com/site/packers/

jpbebeau likes this.
  5. mtbeer3649

mtbeer3649 Zealot (515) Feb 10, 2008 Washington

saravezas is the place for you my friend. they allow minors.

jpbebeau likes this.
  6. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

Excellent, thank you guys!

7. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

The Hawthorne Fish House shows every Packers game, and is definitely family friendly. The beer selection isn't huge, but it's usually well chosen. When I was there a few days ago they had Hop Valley Proxima IPA, Ninkasi Vanilla Oatis, HUB Lager, and a handful of other options.

jpbebeau likes this.
  8. dayglo

dayglo Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2009 Washington

didnt want to make a new thread so I figured I'll ask here. I'll be in pdx wed-sat and saw that upright is releasing 2 new bottles at their brewery this weekend. How crazy should I expect the line on friday?

9. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2010 Oregon

Not at all.* Be sure to enjoy some $12 pitchers. :slight_smile:

*Just a guess based on past releases, including Special Herbs & BA Flora...Fantasia is another story.

dayglo and digita7693 like this.
  10. dayglo

dayglo Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2009 Washington

that's fantastic news. thanks!

11. digita7693

digita7693 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2010 Germany

Even Fantasia wasn't too crazy... I mean it sold out... BUT $12 pitchers of 2 years of Fantasia, are you kidding!!!
    But outside of Fantasia it is usually quite chill, one of my hands down favorite breweries for so many reasons... the fact that they make one of the best pilsners in the world (Engelberg) is just icing on the cake.

12. StJamesGate

StJamesGate Grand Pooh-Bah (3,462) Oct 8, 2007 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This is a great list and I appreciate all the work that's gone into, especially adding food recommendations.

But I have a deceptively simple question I don't see answered anywhere in this forum:
    What beers should I look out for?​

Assuming I'm in a bar, not in one of the brewery tasting rooms - there are 70+ breweries in Greater Portland, right? What are the can't-miss brews from a couple of those? Is there a go-to IPA or three? How do locals choose when you're so spoiled for choice?

My trip's probably not until Feb; so I have time to spin this off into its own thread if it deserves it.

13. distantmantra

distantmantra Pooh-Bah (2,954) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Boneyard. Drink lots of Boneyard (RPM is the standard IPA, Hop Venom the Imperial, Notorious the Triple IPA).

flexabull likes this.
  14. digita7693

digita7693 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2010 Germany

Engelberg pilsner

vurt likes this.
  15. Gilmango

Gilmango Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2007 California

What a great thread; I am heading to Portland from SF next week and staying with a friend in NE (1000 block of 114th Avenue) this thread and the links at the outset should really help me navigate the beer portion of my trip. The food tips are great too. Thanks every city needs one of these.

16. honkduh

honkduh Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

Barley Brown - Forklift IIPA

RedMedicine and exitmusic00 like this.
  17. zestd

zestd Savant (1,027) Jan 18, 2013 Idaho

What do growlers of Hop Venom and Notorious typically go for? I have a mule in PDX right now. And where has some on tap?

18. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Prices for HV run between $11 and $15 here in Eugene, while growlers of Notorious were in the $24 to $25 range. Not sure where the best place to get HV is in PDX, and unfortunately, I think most places are going to be out of Notorious for now (hasn't been any notorious here in Eugene for several weeks now).

zestd likes this.
  19. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2005 Oregon

Anything Barley Browns for that matter. Handtruck Pale Ale, Turmoil CDA, and Pallet Jack are all outstanding.

I'll also add pretty much anything from Gigantic and Breakside IPA/Wanderlust IPA. And Super Dog from Lucky Lab is eternally underrated. I have a personal opinion that the SE Hawthorne Super Dog is different (and better) than at other locations, but have no evidence to prove that.

20. flexabull

flexabull Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2006 California

What are some of the better growler fill places in PDX? I see mention of the Tin Bucket, any others of note?

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.