Visiting Portland - Spring/Summer 2018 update

Discussion in 'US - West' started by guajolote, May 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelby415

shelby415 Meyvn (1,103) Oct 10, 2011 Oregon
    Trader

In addition to what everyone else says, if the wedding is in July you should keep an eye on Belmont Station. They do a week-long sour event - Puckerfest - which traditionally has a day featuring De Garde bottles and on draft. They haven't announced the dates this year but last year it was near the end of July.

2. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,790) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Just curious, how readily available are the beers from Pelican, De Garde, and Heater Allen in Portland proper?

Am currently planning on renting a car for 1-day side trip to visit them. However if that doesn't work out are they typically available around town? Not looking to stock up on bottles or anything - on-site consumption is fine.

3. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,199) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Pelican and Heater Allen are very easy to find. DG is more difficult, but usually Tin bucket and Arch Bridge have bottles. I think both places have some interesting "on premise" consumption only bottles available right now.

Domingo likes this.
  4. beefandbean22

beefandbean22 Aspirant (267) Oct 15, 2008 Oregon
    Trader

Also, be aware that heater allen’s tasting room is only open Friday and Saturday, and not for many hours (3-7 on fridays and 12-6 on Saturdays).

Statk and Domingo like this.
  5. walterfredo

walterfredo Aspirant (203) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Trader

On one of the older pdx threads I had asked for some food recommendations and someone posted a link with some good info. Anyone know what I’m talking about? Would love to locate it.

6. shnsajax

shnsajax Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2013 Idaho

In the off chance that I am not able to make it to Belmont Station next week when in town, can anyone recommend a store close to the Residence Inn Downtown Waterfront location.

7. Strangestbrewer

Strangestbrewer Initiate (76) Oct 17, 2014 Oregon

Jumping across the Hawthorne or Tilikum (mass transit/walking/biking only) bridge you can pretty quickly get to BeerMongers from there.

vurt and shnsajax like this.
  8. honkduh

honkduh Aspirant (233) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

there's a shop across the street from Baileys taproom owned by Baileys called "Brewed Oregon" that has a small but decent selection of beers brewed in Oregon. It's less than 2 miles from your hotel assuming you're at Residence Inn by Marriott Portland Downtown/RiverPlace.

shnsajax likes this.
  9. shelby415

shelby415 Meyvn (1,103) Oct 10, 2011 Oregon
    Trader

De Garde's wild/cider hybrid The Law of Motion is still kicking around a few bottle shops. Just in the last week or so I've seen it at Hollywood Beverage (east side) and Pearl specialty (west side). Depending on when you're coming they might still be around. Though that might say something about the beverage itself (I haven't tried it personally).

10. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,803) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

One of the breweries up did a collab with a local ciderey, that was a beer-cider hybrid. I did not enjoy it. YMMV, obviously.

11. guajolote

guajolote Disciple (312) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

It's baffling that that beer turds it up. It's fantastic. I think it might be the cider component that scares people away, but it shouldn't.

vurt and 66jzmstr like this.
  12. vurt

vurt Poo-Bah (1,682) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Beer geeks are fussy people. They get frightened off by the lack of fruit, or the presence of the wrong fruit, or odd, frightening flavors like smoked malt. (That last one was sarcasm, just so you know.)

Beer geeks are hard to figure out sometimes.

13. JJWIGHT

JJWIGHT Aspirant (231) Feb 14, 2012 Minnesota

I will be in town next week, what are favorite IPA cans available right now? I’m planning on looking for some Block 15 Sticky Hands and Fresh Flow, but looking for other suggestions. I like dank and juicy, can be hazy, but doesn’t have to be.

Any suggestions for PDX/Astoria/Seattle would be appreciated.

14. dphi

dphi Initiate (110) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

Possibly this - https://pdx.eater.com/

15. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,193) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

OR - Ex Novo's "Not too Brite"
    WA - Aslan's "Juice Box Hero" (Chucks exclusive), Mirage "Candy Rain"
    WA & OR - Ft George 3-Way IPA, Georgetown Bodhizafa IPA, Block 15 Red White and Boom!

16. JJWIGHT

JJWIGHT Aspirant (231) Feb 14, 2012 Minnesota

Thanks, I’ll be on the lookout for these.

17. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

If you're looking for hazy IPAs it would probably be worth stopping at Modern Times. Lately they've had 3-4 on tap and at least a couple of them in cans to go.

JJWIGHT likes this.
  18. walterfredo

walterfredo Aspirant (203) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Trader

Hey thanks. Was not that, but that looks like a good resource though.

19. ElmerTLee

ElmerTLee Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2015 Connecticut

Can't wait to get back to PDX tomorrow. Bringing some Tree House for folks who have never had it.

Nachojon likes this.
  20. guajolote

guajolote Disciple (312) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

JerryMeow likes this.
  21. NWer

NWer Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

I rarely get South of Division St. Guess I'll have to expand my horizons.

22. mikegryo

mikegryo Initiate (50) Sep 19, 2017 Wyoming

Going to Portland in August for a week for work, but only have a limited amount of time to see as much as possible - so Oregonians - I need your help.

I get in from the east coast on Sunday and land around 7 PM (as long as no delays occur). The hotel I'm staying at is the Hilton in Lake Oswego (because my company is thrifty like that), so I'll have to travel through the city to get there. I'd like to make some stops on the way, but not sure what my best bet is (see below paragraph for Monday thoughts).

I also have Monday free before meetings start the next day. I definitely plan on Uber/Lyft'ing to Great Notion to try to get some leftovers from the weekend. While I'm up there I was thinking maybe hit up Breakside on Dekum, and Tin Bucket? Maybe Uber again down to Upright? I'd really like to see Cascade (which is close to Hair of the Dog too), but the Ubers are starting to add up at this point. Is public transit easy enough to get around once I'm in the city?

If my plan sounds way off please let me know. Any suggestions are greatly welcomed as I've never been to Seattle before and have no idea what I'm doing - especially on what areas to hit Sunday night vs. Monday. This is all based off of Google Maps.

23. NedStarkravingmad

NedStarkravingmad Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2015 Washington

Public transit is pretty good around the city in general, but I'm not confident that the first leg of your trip (Lake O to Portland proper) is public transit friendly.

You have some good stops planned already. Cascade/Hair of the Dog/Modern Times are all very close together, and Montage happens to be right by there as well.

Finally, here's your friendly reminder that Upright is only open Thur-Sun. Have fun!

24. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I agree with @NedStarkravingmad's comment about the trip from PDX to LO. If you have a car (I'm assuming you don't), then sure, there are all kinds of places you could stop along the way, though it sounds to me as if you have a fair number of those places on your itinerary for Monday anyway. That being said, if you have transportation arranged and just want to pop in for a drink on the way to your hotel, Tin Bucket is reasonably close to the interstate (if you're coming down I-5), as are growler guys, HOTD and Cascade (if you're coming in on I-84). If you just want to grab a couple of bottles for the hotel room, your hotel is close to the LO Trader Joe's (they have a decent selection of craft beer, that usually includes a few pfriem and Modern times goodies), and for that matter John's Market isn't far from your hotel, and would probably require just a 5 or 10 minute detour on your drive in from the airport.

25. derftron

derftron Devotee (442) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Isnt there a Market of Choice near L.O ? Or the Zupans on Macadam on the way in or out of Portland? either of those will have a kick-ass bottle selection that are almost as good (sometimes better) than the known bottle shops, just because the beer geeks dont mine through them as frequently

I would hit G.N first (just because its 10 min outside of the main brewery concentration)
    Then Breakside (5 min from G.N)
    Then you can go to the inner eastside area and pretty much walk to each spot until you are ready to go home. Cascade, Hair of the Dog, Rogue taproom/bar, Growler Guys, Loyal Legion, Modern Times

This does leave out Upright, which would be a major mistake to miss while you are in PDX. They probably make my favorite beers in the city

26. mikegryo

Thanks for the help everyone. There is a John's Marketplace near LO - seems like they have a good selection.

Bummer that I won't be able to make it to Upright. I don't think I could make it there before 8 on Sunday. Do any bottle shops carry their stuff?

27. derftron

derftron Devotee (442) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

I live right near Johns Market. they will have a lot of Upright. But I definitely recommend Zupans or Market of Choice as well.

mikegryo likes this.
  28. mikegryo

OK, so here's the plan. Get in around 7:30. Uber to Cascade for some pours and dinner (and probably a bottle or two to take home). Uber to either Market of Choice or Zupan's for further loss of money for bottles/cans. Sleep.

Wake up. Head into Portland for breakfast via Uber. Get to GN (Alberta) at noon for crowlers/cans, pours, and lunch. Walk over to Breakside (hopefully nice weather) for some pours. Uber to Tin Bucket for further pours. Do hangover mitigation for Tuesday.

Fin.

#68 mikegryo, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    BBThunderbolt likes this.
  29. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Finally. We're discussing an area of PDX I actually know something about (as I live just a couple of exits up the road from the OP's hotel).

@derftron recommendations are certainly good ones, but it really depends on how much screwing around you want to do after your visit to Cascade. I assume the MofC he's referring to is the one over on SW Terwilliger. The store is only a half mile from my home, and so I go their frequently. It's a small store as MofC stores go, but with a pretty decent bottle and can selection (well stocked with HOTD and Ale Apothecary goodies, and even bottles of Bbomb as of a week ago). It also has the advantage of being very close to the Interstate (I-5), though it's a bit of a pain in the ass to get back onto I-5 south once you're done shopping there (you have to get back onto SW Barbar and drive a mile or two to the closest entrance way). There is also a New Seasons in LO, a good size Zupan, as well as the Macadam's Zupan. All of those places have a decent beer selection, though I would argue not appreciably better than anything the OP is likely to find at the MofC (and with a lot less screwing around). If the OP wants to visit some place appreciably better than MofC, then clearly John's Market is the place to go. They have a vastly larger and superior bottle/can selection, rivaled only by Belmont Station (I would argue). It's nearly as easy to get to John's as it is to get to the MofC, and the OP will be that much closer to interstate entrance way on SW Barbar. John's also has a fairly decent tap selection in the deli area, but that will almost surely be closed by the time the OP gets over there.

30. blackcloud

blackcloud Disciple (368) Apr 28, 2012 Alaska
    Trader

I mean, if you're just planning on hitting MoC for bottles, you could literally just walk across the street from Cascade and get them, as there's one right there. would save an extra Uber. Assuming the selection is as good as what you'd find out in @John_M's hood.

I'll second the thought that Johns Marketplace is probably a better stop to just shop for bottles.

alternatively, it's a nice walk from Cascade to Beermongers...

31. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

That's an excellent point. I keep on forgetting about the new MofC there (it's just not on my radar).

While there's some variation in the bottle selection from store to store, I've never been to a MofC that didn't have a pretty solid selection. So I'm sure the selection at the new store is pretty decent as well (even though I've never been there).

32. mikegryo

Good to know. I'd definitely rather do that than pay for another Uber stop.

33. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (333) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

You might want to wait a little bit before you get to GN on Monday if you really want cans from the previous Saturday release. The cans are brought over on Monday, but there is no guarantee when they get there and go on sale that day. Best to call or check their social media.

34. Rip_City

Rip_City Initiate (40) Jul 16, 2016 Oregon

Walking from GN to Breakside is quite a trek. I would maybe reconsider that walk. Now walking from tinbucket to upright sounds more doable.

35. ppilot

ppilot Initiate (132) Jul 17, 2009 Oregon

This is what Lyft is perfect for. Ridesharing makes Beer Touring MUCH easier.

kemoarps likes this.
  36. vurt

vurt Poo-Bah (1,682) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

GN to Breakside on Dekum is about a mile and a half. Not a bad walk.

GN to Breakside Slabtown? THAT'S a trek.

37. mikegryo

Yea I was thinking GN to Breakside Dekum. Might as well see some of the city while I’m there.

If cans aren’t available on Monday that’s ok. I’ll just get some pours. I can always run over there later in the week after work if they release some crowlers. Edit: I see what you’re saying. Yea maybe I’ll grab lunch somewhere first or show up a little after noon and monitor the situation.

Strangestbrewer, vurt and kemoarps like this.
  38. blackcloud

blackcloud Disciple (368) Apr 28, 2012 Alaska
    Trader

not exactly a great part of the city to see. i mean, it's not bad, but it's relatively nondescript neighborhoods between the two.

mikegryo likes this.
  39. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

There was a particularly interesting article in the Portland Mercury this week, commenting on some of the problems pFriem seems to be having of late with wait times for a table in their taproom/restaurant.

https://www.portlandmercury.com/the...ait-for-a-restaurant-filled-with-empty-tables

I thought it worth a read, as my recent experiences at pFriem are consistent with the "problems" mentioned in the article. For anyone unfamiliar with the taproom location, it's in a particularly prime location on the waterfront, in an area teaming with windsurfers and other outdoor enthusiasts in the Summer time. On nice days in the Summer, the amount of people wandering around the waterfront is truly mindboggling. With that kind of crowd, even though the taproom/restaurant is good size, it's no surprise that waits for a spot at the bar or for a table can be pretty long (as the article points out). The last time my wife and I stopped in, around 3:00 on a Sunday in mid June, we did a quick about face the minute we walked into the taproom and saw the crowd and waitlist for a table (it didn't help that nearly half the normal taplist was blown, including the Pils!).

I love pFriem beers, and the taproom/restaurant is first class, but this article is something for everyone visiting pFriem to keep in mind during the summer months.

40. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,790) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Lyft and Uber combined with the MAX trains make getting around the main areas in Portland rather easy. I don't think any of my Lyft rides were more than $15 (even in rush hour) and it's tough to beat unlimited train rides for $5 a day. Those things combined with my willingness to walk a couple miles each day served me pretty well over a short 4-day trip. I was in the Pearl area, which isn't exactly brewery-central, but it's not that far from a bunch of famous stops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.