Visiting Portland (Summer 2013 update)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by digita7693, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. digita7693

digita7693 Disciple (394) Jan 19, 2010 Germany
    Beer Trader

Updated to add some places and transit info.

Original thread
    Update v.1
    Update v.2

Surely many of us agree that this forum could use an easily seachable/bump-able "I'm visiting Portland, where should I go?" thread. Here, I'll attempt to cull the consensus "must-hits," along with other highly recommended PDX breweries, brew pubs, bottle shops & beer bars that appear in this type of BA thread. Recommendations & suggestions are encouraged.

(Almost) Universally Recommended "Must-Hit" Breweries & Brew Pubs
    Cascade Brewing Barrel House
    Deschutes Portland Pub
    Hair of the Dog
    Upright Brewing
    The Commons Brewery

Other Highly Recommended Breweries & Brew Pubs
    Breakside Brewery
    Gigantic Brewing
    Hopworks Urban Brewery / Hopworks Bike Bar
    Laurelwood Brewing
    Lompoc Brewing

Highly Recommended Beer Bars / Bottle Shops
    APEX (Taproom, Bottles-to-go)
    Bailey's Taproom (Taproom, Growler Fills, Bottle List)
    The Beermongers (Taproom, Bottle Shop, Growler Fills)
    Belmont Station (Taproom, Bottle Shop, Growler Fills, Food)
    Bridgetown Beerhouse (Taproom, Bottle Shop, Growler Fills)
    The Green Dragon (Taproom, Food)
    The Hop & Vine (Taproom, Bottle Shop, Growler Fills, Food)
    Horse Brass Pub (Taproom, Food)
    John's Marketplace (Bottle Shop)
    Oregon Hophouse (Taproom, Growler Fills, Food)
    Roscoe's (Taproom, Growler Fills, Food)
    Saraveza (Taproom, Bottle Shop, Growler Fills, Food)
    Tin Bucket (Taproom, Bottle Shop, Counter Pressure Growler Fills)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (A Few) Beer-centric Restaurants:

Just about any decent restaurant in PDX has an acceptable beer list. Many are more-than-acceptable. This might be the most debatable section of this thread.

Cheese Bar
    Grain & Gristle
    Higgins Restaurant
    Lardo
    Wildwood
    Bazi Bierbrasserie

PDX Eater (great food resource)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Some helpful maps:
    digita7693’s map (beer map, restaurants, hotels, cafes, to-do)

Beer Maps
    The Beer Mapping Project
    Oregon & Washington Brew Map
    Oregon Beer Country map

Transit
    PDX Bus (free an awesome app)
    Trimet

A couple suggested Pub Crawl maps:
    Cascade > HotD > Bailey's > Deschutes > Upright > HUB/Side Bar
    Inner SE Pub/Brewery Crawl (APEX -> Beermongers -> The Commons -> HotD -> Cascade -> Base Camp -> Burnside)
    Sunnyside Pub Crawl (Horse Brass -> Belmont Station -> Hawthorne Hop House -> Bazi Bierbrasserie)
    North Portland Pub Crawl (Amnesia -> Bridgetown Beerhouse -> Prost! -> HUB BikeBar -> Lompoc Sidebar/5Q)
    Other BA resources:

Portland BeerFly listing: http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/city/16

Some other forum threads on the topic:
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/portland-trip.36279/#post-454592
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/check-my-work-portlanders.13192/
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/so-many-breweries-in-pdx-what-shouldnt-i-miss.20664/
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/taking-a-trip-to-portland-or.15367/
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/pdx-visit-questions.18342/
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/visiting-portland-next-week-looking-for-suggestions.31640/
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/hotel-recommendations-for-portland-brewery-trip.49338/#post-638391

*disclaimer: This post is not intended to be a catch-all for Portland beer establishments. There are literally hundreds of well-regarded beer institutions throughout the greater Portland area, many of which are not listed in this post. This thread is an attempt to present the most frequently recommended and highest-regarded spots often cited in the Northwest BA forum. Exploration and experimentation are certainly encouraged!

pudgym29, Gobigvt7, mporter13 and 5 others like this.
  2. deGardebrewing

deGardebrewing Initiate (68) May 3, 2013 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I'd add awesome wine selection to Hop & Vine. Killer beer for both retail and on premise, but damn, they've got that old world vino that calls to me. Same thing for 1856. Strong recommendation for beer and the above. Recognize this is a beer site, but there's a little something extra at those joints for those interested in looking while having a pint.

Gobigvt7 likes this.
  3. John_M

John_M Moderator (5,590) Oct 25, 2003 France
    Beer Trader

My GF is not big on beer, but she likes good wine very much (as do I, actually). So I'm always on the look out for any place that serves a good selection of both.

We actually have a very good wine market/wine bar here in Eugene (Broadway Wine Merchants), and in a move that I think has become increasingly common, they now have 3 craft options on tap as well, which usually includes Boneyard RPM. It's one of those things that I always like to see, as I think there's a place for both (good beer AND good wine).

4. digita7693

Beer Trader

btw I failed in giving the majority of credit for the start of this to guajolote, huge thanks to him!!!

cheers

5. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Aspirant (290) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Upcoming festivals:
    • North American Organic Beer Fest - 6/28 - 6/30 at overlook park - naobf.com
    • Puckerfest - 7/12-7/18 at Belmont Station - puckerfest.com
    • Portland International Beer Fest - 7/19-7/21 at north park blocks -portland-beerfest.com
    • Oregon Brewers Festival - 7/24-7/28 at waterfront park - oregonbrewfest.com

Sarlacc83, LoPo87, The22Lou and 3 others like this.
  6. msubulldog25

msubulldog25 Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2005 Oregon

Actually NAOBF expanded to 4 days this year :slight_smile: 6/27 - 6/30

pudgym29 likes this.
  7. digita7693

Beer Trader

8. burgundysmoke

burgundysmoke Initiate (143) Sep 11, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

awesome thread...been wanting to plan a beercation to portland and was thinking 3 days beginning of aug. After seeing all this, thinking I need to do more like 7 days (get some hiking/fishing in too) and possibly catch the end of the brewers fest (less likely, so much beer to taste up there already). thanks for the info!

9. dgrone78

dgrone78 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2013 Missouri

I too am planning a beer-cation for mid-late July & Portland is definitely on my bucket list. For folks who have travelled there before, is there a particular area and/or hotels you would recommend that is close to the bulk of the microbrewery action?

10. NWer

NWer Crusader (708) Mar 10, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

If by late July you mean the last week consider http://oregonbrewfest.com/index.php
    I'll be pouring but I don't know what yet.
    I stay at the downtown Marriott because of my status with them but lots of good places to choose from. Easy walk from there (downtown) to Beermongers/APEX, Upright, HotD

11. kscaldef

kscaldef Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Hotels are mostly concentrated in Downtown and Lloyd Center, either of which are fairly convenient for the beer scene. Depending on how long you're here, you might also be able to find a vacation rental in close SE that would put you close to everything.

12. dgrone78

dgrone78 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2013 Missouri

Thanks a million for the tips! So, it sounds like geographically, "Southeast Portland" is the best area for staying close to everything? And, yes, I am hoping to make the week of the Oregon Brewer's Festival work. Looks like hotels are in shorter& shorter supply for that week, so I better get on it STAT! :slight_smile:

13. Hermit_King

Hermit_King Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2013 Illinois

Cheers for making this and updating it! I'll be heading out Portland way in 2 weeks and wanted to see if there was this type of thread up. I didn't want to be the n00b that started a "Where to go" thread when this list is already compiled. Super excited for this!

14. CurtisMcArthur

CurtisMcArthur Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2009 Tennessee

Just got to PDX yesterday. Had a truly EPIC day at Cascade for Tap it Tuesday. Ron took us in the back and we did some blending from the barrels, popped some bottles, and even drank some of the beer off his new foudre. Visited Beermongers, John's, and Belmont Station as well. Amazing first day.

Heading over to HotD today to meet with Alan and check out their bottling line. Also meeting some folks at Breakside later this evening.

This week is going to go by sooooooo fast. Great list of breweries and bottle shops, I just hope I have time to make it to all of them!

If anyone wants to meet up for a beer at some point don't hesitate to BM me!

Cheers!

msubulldog25 and Gobigvt7 like this.
  15. BKnarr

BKnarr Disciple (305) Sep 5, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

Spent the last two days in Portland and visited Cascade, HotD, Lucky Lab, Base Camp, Belmont Station, Apex, Gigantic, and lots of other places I can't remember...and I still have a full day to go here. I just want to give a proverbial " shout out" to the servers/bartenders/beer sales folk/beer patrons I have encountered. Everyone has been super nice, helpful, and most of all...welcoming. A serious change from Florida. Thank you Portlanders for being true BA's!

kscaldef and msubulldog25 like this.
  16. digita7693

Beer Trader

Great to hear! Obviously you didn't meet Nikki:slight_smile:

If you haven't I'd highly recommend hitting upright and the commons, and if you get further out go to roscoes.

Cheers!

17. pudgym29

pudgym29 Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2009 Illinois

Get as cheap a room as you can. I'm at a Travelodge on NE 82nd near Sandy Blvd. There is a street-sweeper route #12 bus @1:30 am from downtown to the northeast side which can bail out your butt [it did mine] if you stay too long at a craftbeer bar in central city.:grinning:

18. digita7693

Beer Trader

Guess this thing needs a bump:slight_smile:

Brews GA tix on sale now:
    brews.newavenues.org

19. mike_v_sardina

mike_v_sardina Initiate (147) Apr 12, 2012 Vermont

This is great information - thanks! I will be visiting PDX for my first time ever this weekend, and I am really looking forward to visiting many of these locations...

Cheers...

20. leedorham

leedorham Crusader (701) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

Just a heads up - This is the warm time of year and many of these places don't have air conditioning, so plan accordingly.

Not sure what Portland has against AC.

21. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Crusader (752) Mar 2, 2008 Oregon
    Beer Trader

The fact that 86 degrees here isn't that hot and it gets cool enough at night that you can pop open a window and use a blanket?

22. leedorham

I've been in both HOTD and Cascade when it is mid 80's outside and it definitely detracts from the experience.

RedMedicine and mcc1654 like this.
  23. John_M

Beer Trader

My understanding is that HOTD now has fans and AC (the AC is a recent addition, apparently). I can't recall ever having a problem at Cascade (they don't have AC?), but yeah, on days when it's 86 out, the temp inside the HOTD tasting room would get close to a 100. It was brutal.

leedorham and Sarlacc83 like this.
  24. leedorham

Well the time at Cascade they had the doors wide open so not sure how much the AC helped if they did have it going. Good to hear HOTD has improved things.

25. NWer

Beer Trader

I think I know PDX pretty well. We visit often. We have relatives who live nearby. We love the place. So, my wife, ever thoughtful, searching the web for something different to fill a few hours when we arrive on Tuesday in advance of the OBF and she suggests Lardo! A food coach? They serve beer. Obviously not some coach parked along the street if we can drink beer.
    What's up with these?
    Are they worthy?

26. beeraroundtown

beeraroundtown Initiate (32) Oct 11, 2008 Oregon

Lardo is definitely worthy, and the beer selection is great. It's not a food cart anymore, just a small restaurant. Don't fear the food carts though, some amazing stuff that those.

27. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Initiate (165) Nov 27, 2008 Oregon

Yes, food carts are totally legit in PDX. I don't know how you can say you know PDX well and not know about them. Many have gone on to open full brick and mortar shops since they were so successful. You should definitely be checking them out.

One of my favorite things to do is get fish and chips from the Frying Scotsman and walk it over to Bailey's.

28. NWer

Beer Trader

Well, I did say "pretty well". Obviously not as well as I thought. Gotta fix that. :slight_smile:

PS I used to refer to them as "roach coach" but didn't want to be nasty. Food coach was best I could come up with. Food cart it is.

29. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,408) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Is this the same thing as a food truck? If so, Seattle's scene seems to be growing as well—though of course not to the level as our trendy hipster neighbor to the south. I've liked the food trucks I've tried outside Chuck's, great idea.

I also thought NWer was talking about some kind of personal trainer in the culinary arts—which, come to think of it, isn't a half-bad idea. I'm sure it exists somewhere, probably California. It'll get here eventually.

bifrost17 and sergeantstogie like this.
  30. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2009 Washington

Pretty much, but the Portland versions are more permanent trailers. They bunch them together at different blocks downtown rather than have trucks driving around all the time.

31. Simkevin

Simkevin Initiate (11) Sep 6, 2009 California

Thanks for all the great info of places to visit. My gf and I will be going up there next week for the beer festival and wine country pinot festival. I plan on coming up with some beer from a local place by me. Do any of the places let you bottle share? If so, seeing if any BA's would like to meet up? I plan on hitting up HotD and Cascade for tap it Tuesday.

32. deathcharms

deathcharms Initiate (68) Jul 11, 2009 California

HotD still does not have fans... or didn't a week or two ago. that place is pretty miserable in the summer...

33. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Aspirant (290) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I haven't been there recently, but I could have sworn johnmichaelsen mentioned in another thread that they had recently installed AC.

34. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Initiate (165) Nov 27, 2008 Oregon

When I was there over the 4th of July weekend they definitely had box fans. I don't remember if they had AC though (I'd already been to Cascade and Commons so I wasn't exactly sober at that point).

35. honkduh

honkduh Aspirant (262) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon
    Beer Trader

From June 28th

@hairofthedog: It might be hot outside, but its cool in here. Come enjoy our new A/C

I was there on July 6th and it was uncomfortably hot inside.

36. John_M

Beer Trader

Yes. Wendy pointed out the new AC system, though they weren't on at the time. I haven't been there when they were actually on, so I don't know how well they work.

37. kscaldef

kscaldef Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I've been there on a few afternoons this summer and experienced the A/C, and it was fine. Dunno what happened on July 6th, but so far it's been a great improvement over last summer all the times I've been there recently.

38. goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2004 Oregon

Sounds like your Matt pours are paying for that new A/C!

39. guajolote

guajolote Aspirant (250) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

Some more Food Cart lingo -- "bunch of carts" equals a "pod."

Also, those all over the city, not just downtown. Two of my favorites are Good Food Here (the pod's name) at SE Bemont & 43rd, and the 12th & Hawthorn pod. The latter of which houses Pyro Pizza, a cart with maybe the gnarliest looking pizza oven you'll ever lay eyes on. The pizza, however, is far from gnarly. There are lots of good/great stand-alone carts too.

40. leedorham

I gotta know lingo for food carts now? Can't I just buy some f'in falafel without worrying about disapproving hipsters?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.