Visiting Seattle (2019 Edition)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by distantmantra, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,809) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Bumperizing.

kemoarps and distantmantra like this.
  2. imposterzilla

imposterzilla Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2019 Washington

Then you have placed like the Stout that are little foodie and beer spots. Anthony's in Seatac is hit or miss. I do think the Africa Lounge is much better. After the renovation that's going on there should be more spots.I will honestly say Tacoma is better for beer than Seattle, but that's my opinion.

jpbebeau likes this.
  3. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Meyvn (1,274) Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Trader

Hmmm. Possibly a KBO agent [Emmet Watson reference]. Good work, sir. Keep it up.

NWer, vurt and BBThunderbolt like this.
  4. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,248) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

It’s the first time I’ve read that opinion. Would you mind explaining further?

kemoarps and BBThunderbolt like this.
  5. imposterzilla

You have better bottle shops like Pint Defiance, The Copper Door, Beer Star, Peaks and Pints. Those stores I find are alot better than the ones in Seattle proper. Edison City Ale house is alright, but on Fridays a bbq truck shows up. You have breweries with amazing product like Dystopian State, Odd Otter, Taskforce Engine House number 9 (that has a knockout restaurant), the various Harmon locations(the HUB by Doyle's is the superior one imo), Doyle's, the Parkway Tavern, and there is Dunnagan brewing. Its quality over quantity and we also have more access to the stuff from Matchless and Triceratops brewing here which are big class acts. I know there's at least seven or eight places I'm missing ooo like Half Pint Pizza Pub and the Red Hot (what can go wrong with craft beer and different hot dogs and sausages with various fixins).

sharpski likes this.
  6. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Devotee (441) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

I must have missed the Visiting Tacoma (2019) thread...

7. imposterzilla

I really do find Tacoma to be better in my opinion.

8. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (6,124) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

Sounds like we have an, eh, monstrous impostor in our midst

BuckeyeOne, 66jzmstr and dirtylou like this.
  9. imposterzilla

Eh, but I do stand by it. I personally love the stuff at E9, Dystopian State, and Odd Otter are some of my favs!

DefenCorps likes this.
  10. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

E9 does indeed kick ass. But, there's just no way T-town matches Seatthole.

NWer, 66jzmstr and distantmantra like this.
  11. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,194) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I love E9, I'm glad Tacoma is getting more of a beer scene down there and I love the city in general, going to college there years ago and growing up in the South Sound, but I’d take Fremont, Reubens, Holy Mountain, Urban Family, Cloudburst, Georgetown, Matchless, Seapine, Machine House and Stoup over everything Tacoma has to offer. And that's not counting breweries without taprooms like Floodland and Mirage.

Same with bottle shops. Bottleworks, both Chucks locations, Beer Junction, Super Deli, Full Throttle, Beer Authority, etc.

Latona Pub, Pine Box, Trail Bend Taproom, Brouwers, Uber, Toronado, Slow Boat Tavern, both Masonry locations... I can keep going.

Friendly reminder that Seattle is more than just downtown.

12. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Aspirant (252) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

I will say that the beer bars/bottle shops in Tacoma are pretty great: E9, Peaks & Pints, Parkway Tavern, The Copper Door and The Red Hot are all outstanding and basically within walking distance of one another. Pint Defiance and Edison City Alehouse are short drives away. (Heck, that's one of the big positives of Tacoma—you can get to it all quickly.)

I do think, besides E9, we're lacking outstanding breweries. Narrows is interesting and I'm keeping an eye on them. I won't set foot in Dystopian State. Odd Otter is cool, but I wouldn't put it in the upper echelon of WA breweries—plenty in Seattle (or Bellingham) are way better.

Friendly reminder: Tacoma is actually cool.
    But Seattle just has more, and that's okay.

13. distantmantra

Trader

Or let's just all hug it out and not do drive by trollish posts.

Tacoma: cool.
    Seattle: cool.
    Washington: cool.

kemoarps, NWer, derkruk and 5 others like this.
  14. derftron

derftron Devotee (443) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

with all due respect, thats not how Al Gore's internet works. one must be better than the other, and we must argue about it until a moderator shuts down the thread. thems the rules!

15. distantmantra

Trader

Dystopian State is not the kind of place I'd want to support.

kingsleyr and ewendel like this.
  16. guajolote

guajolote Disciple (312) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

That name rang a bell. Were they the racist one or the sexist one? It's hard to keep track anymore.

17. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,203) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Actually, neither if I'm recalling this correctly.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/dystopian-state-brewing-backlash.553845/

If memory serves, I think some of the heated comments made by the head brewer were perceived as homophobic? Don't quote me on that, but I think that's what I seem to recollect.

(which OK, if true, would then make them "sexist")

18. derftron

Looks like Gigantic brewing and Darkhorse comics are doing an event at Pinebox on March 15 for the HellBoy 25th anniv. Gigantic making "hellboy" beers. I suppose it could be fun if you like comics and beer :slight_smile:

side note. Kind of interesting that 2 Portland based businesses are doing the event in Seattle.

kemoarps likes this.
  19. distantmantra

Trader

Probably because of Emerald City Comic Con.

kemoarps, BBThunderbolt and Joshbiir like this.
  20. derftron

boom. answered

21. distantmantra

Trader

You're correct and Dystopian State has doubled down by acting like nothing ever happened instead of devising a corrective action plan or you know, apologizing.

kemoarps, ewendel and BBThunderbolt like this.
  22. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

You clearly know more about this than I do, but I thought I had read that the brewer did try to apologize and admit he made some inappropriate comments that he shouldn't have made (after he cooled off a bit).

Not that that excuses his behavior, but it struck me as at least a step in the right direction.

#62 John_M, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  23. distantmantra

Trader

After that whole ordeal they just try to act like nothing happened. Their Instagram account is odd about the whole thing.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  24. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (333) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

I noticed no one talks about Tacoma Brewing. When I lived up there I thought they were making the best IPAs in Tacoma.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  25. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Aspirant (252) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

To be fair, I've only had a single beer of theirs (an IPA I thought was...a beer) but I think I might give the taproom a visit soon—there's an upcoming barrel-aged stout release.

26. imposterzilla

I do think there's some nice places in Seattle, but I'm a Tacoma boy at heart. the Stout in Seattle and Brouwers were cool. I can forgive people so I can give Dystopian a chance after a while and they did apologize, so that's kinda a step in the right direction. Though I know Narrows does some really good stuff. Gloom is awesome. Olympia-Tumwater area is starting to develop pretty well.

27. BuckeyeOne

THIS THREAD IS GETTING OFF TOPIC AND THAT IS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN IN THE NW FORUM

28. imposterzilla

Brouwers is really good. Though they can get pricey. I had an amazing stout by Pelican a long while ago there. The atmosphere is really chill and cool and their tap selection is pretty awesome.

#68 imposterzilla, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    kemoarps likes this.
  29. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (333) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

I haven't been to the new location since I moved to Portland. Curious if the beer quality went down any with the larger batches now. They were a real small operation in the old coffee shop. I always thought the beer was real good though.

30. Structures

Structures Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2017 Washington

One thing everyone can agree on....Parkway Tavern is awesome.

31. ChugChugPass

ChugChugPass Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2017 Washington

Best of Hands made quite a splash last night, might be on the recommend list next year.

32. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Hope you don't mind if I use your post to jump into this discussion.

I spend a considerable amount of time in the Tacoma area, as we have a number of friends there and my wife lived there for a number or years (just up the street from Narrows Brewery in fact). I don't personally feel the beer scene in Tacoma is superior to Seattle's, but I do find it a lot more accessible. Outside of the chronic construction mess going on over at I-5 near the dome, it's usually pretty easy to get around Tacoma, and traffic is pretty manageable. As a result, while I happen to think the beer scene in Seattle is superior to Tacoma's (to be honest, I don't think it's really even close), I prefer the beer scene in Tacoma.

For the most part, I'm in agreement with a lot of the comments and observations made by @imposterzilla, even if I did find some of his observations a bit, ahem, provincial. Calling the pub scene at E9 a knockout restaurant was a bit hard to swallow (no pun intended). I've eaten there a number of times, and it's now reached the point that my wife won't go with me if I want to go over there for a beer and a bite. Most of the problem has been with the service there (which can be anywhere from good to practically non-existent), but I've never found the food there to be anything to write home about (average quality pub grub, with an emphasis on fried food, is how I would describe it).

So that brings me to the Parkway Tavern. I could not agree more with the assessment made by @Structures. In my experience, the Parkway tends to have the best draft selection in Tacoma, and food coming out of the kitchen is quite good and also quite reasonably priced. They even have a half way decent wine by the glass selection, which means my wife has no qualms about heading over to the Parkway with me for a snack and pint, pretty much any time we go up there (like today, for example).

I've been going to beer bars and breweries/brewpubs in Tacoma since pliny the elder was still available in Washington (the last glass I had of PtE in Washington was over at the Parkway), and I've spent a LOT of time at Pint Defiance, the Red Hot, E9 and the Parkway. They're all good, but IMHO, after all these years, the Parkway is still the gold standard when it comes to craft beer tap houses in Tacoma.

But I'm still not convinced the Tacoma beer scene is superior to the Seattle beer scene. That's just crazy talk. :sunglasses:

#72 John_M, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  33. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

What the hell you doing up at 9am?

kemoarps, Structures and vurt like this.
  34. BuckeyeOne

I'm definitely adding this to my repertoire.

BARTENDER: Hey, you have to keep your pants on in here.

ME: Excuse me, but I find your standards a bit, ahem, provincial.

kemoarps, Erik-P, VashonGuy and 4 others like this.
  35. Hozemeen

Hozemeen Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2018 Washington
    Deactivated

Can we also all
    agree that Northwest BAs'
    junk should stay concealed?

Naikoon, VashonGuy and vurt like this.
  36. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Until the post from @66jzmstr the other day, I had not realized that Reuben's was canning triple crush these days. We're starting to see limited distribution of their cans down here in PDX now, and I was wondering if triple crush is part of that distribution (or if it's only available at the brewery).

I'm sure I'll find some place eventually that will do a crowler of it, but it would be great if I could just run over to John's or Belmont Station to pick up a 4 pack.

BBThunderbolt and 66jzmstr like this.
  37. distantmantra

Trader

Triple Crush cans are brewery only, has been that way for a couple years now. They're pretty good about letting you know on social media what's taproom only and what will see distribution.

John_M likes this.
  38. imposterzilla

I can agree E9 has gone down in quality a bit over the last year.

39. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Bumpatizing.

VashonGuy, kemoarps and BuckeyeOne like this.
  40. joeneugs

joeneugs Initiate (112) Aug 28, 2008 California
    Trader

I’ll be in Seattle from May 13-17 for work. Thanks for all the great info. It’s been 19 years since my last visit! Really pumped about checking out the scene. I already have an itinerary based on the rec’s in this thread.

What I’d really like to know is what restaurants are highly recommended. I’m an adventurous eater who loves seafood, so needless to say I’m just as excited about the food as I am about the beer. I’m also big on cheap bahn mi sandwiches. Any specific rec’s or other under the radar beer destinations would be appreciated.

If anyone is available any of the evenings from the 13-17th, I’ll buy you a beer. Cheers!

kemoarps likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.