Visiting Seattle (2021)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by distantmantra, May 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,277) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

My guess is a combination of: 1)beer pricing is generally higher in WA than OR in my observations, and 2) 10B production is mainly in-state vs. having to cross a state border. I wouldn't be surprised if Elysian is still more expensive in WA than 10B in WA, but by a smaller margin. Or maybe ABI is maintaining different retail prices on those brands for reasons other than underlying costs.

distantmantra likes this.
  2. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,201) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

10 Barrel is cheaper than Elysian up here as well, at least when I see the displays at Fred Meyer.

Space Dust is also getting a big marketing push on TV, so maybe it's their "premium brand."

sharpski and BBThunderbolt like this.
  3. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,026) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Yeah, Elysian prices tend to in the same price ranges as Fremont, Georgetown, Deschutes-sized breweries around here, and I haven't looked at 10Barrel, even out of curiosity, in years, but I seem to think that's just priced a bit down-market from Elysian. We don't have deposit (which bums my bunny-hugger side out) but our high sales tax more than makes up for that.

distantmantra and sharpski like this.
  4. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,514) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Just checking in here. I'll read a bit more, but I'll be in Seattle for the first two full weeks of July (for the most part). Would love to meet some BAs, if possible. My schedule is still up in the air, but hoping to hit up Machine House among others throughout my stint up there.

5. siemoney

siemoney Initiate (42) Dec 21, 2016 California

Any good recommendations north of Seattle? I’m flying in for a wedding next week and will be making the drive up to Anacortes and have an open day. I have small kids so Seattle will be tough to spend much time in but I’m able to make some quick stops along the way.

6. siemoney

siemoney Initiate (42) Dec 21, 2016 California

Forgot to add any can’t miss food recommendations between Seattle and Anacortes?

7. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Champion (836) Dec 1, 2004 Washington

For food check out Un Bien in Seattle. If you dig sandwiches you'll love them. Most people suggest the roast pork but the grilled pork is where it's at. The fish of the day sandwich is spectacular too.
    Also, for beer try to fit in a trip to Garden Path out in Burlington. It's maybe a half hour from Anacortes and truly a unique experience.

8. RKP1967

RKP1967 Disciple (320) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Why are so many Seattle breweries kid-unfriendly? Stupid owners, or stupid laws?

9. distantmantra

Trader

Mostly laws, it depends on the kind of license you have who can be there. At the same time, some owners want to have adult-only spaces which is ok, too. I say this as a dad of 9-year old who's grown up going to breweries all over the world.

Some of the big name recognition places like Holy Mountain are 21+, but others like Great Notion Ballard and Cloudburst Ballard are only 21+ because of Covid/limited capacity and the owners trying to maximize profits. Kids don't spend much on beer so it's a tough call to allow them to take up seats. Once we go back to normal both of those will be family friendly.

Garden Path isn't kid friendly, but the Chuckanut spot down the road is.

10. Harrison8

Society Trader

Speaking of places opening up, how open (in general) is Seattle?

I understand this is an incredibly vague question, so to add some context: are most (80% or more) open for on-site consumption? Are capacity limits nearing pre-pandemic levels, or are most places doing limited seating? Are masks required at establishments consistently?

I'll do more research on specific venues I want to check out (Holy Mountain, Cloudburst, Great Notion - Georgetown, Machine House, etc., plus food options), but curious what the atmosphere of Seattle is like right now in regards to opening up.

11. AlexM

AlexM Zealot (521) Jun 9, 2011 California
    Trader

FYI ... just spent Father's Day with my kids at Great Notion Ballard (yes, they are now kid friendly) and then walked over to Urban Family ... both places were solid

distantmantra and 66jzmstr like this.
  12. distantmantra

Trader

We still have reduced capacity with indoor dining, I think it’s 50%. I’ve only done outdoor twice now and won’t be going back to indoor dining until my daughter is vaccinated in the Fall. Washington state is planning on fully reopening on June 30th. At the moment in Seattle I still see most everyone wearing masks inside and about 75% still wearing masks outside.

Another thing to think about is that even with the state opening back to full capacity, some places may still require masks or not be ready to go back to 100%, so YMMV.

66jzmstr, Harrison8 and PerfectPorter like this.
  13. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Meyvn (1,226) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon
    Society

Here's an explainer. In Oregon it's pretty simple if I remember right - no food, no kids.

sharpski likes this.
  14. PerfectPorter

PerfectPorter Initiate (138) Jul 30, 2010 Oregon

Heading up tomorrow. Also looking for food recs. Seafood, pizza, bbq, and any other must visits. Staying in Fremont/Wallingford.

Here's what I've looked up so far.

Seafood:
    Ray's
    Chinook's at Salmon Bay
    The Walrus and the Carpenter

Pizza:
    Last fall I went to Fiasco and Tutta Bella
    Talarico's
    Lupo
    Frelard
    Veraci
    Serious Pie
    Delancey
    Cornuto
    Not Zeeks

15. Harrison8

Society Trader

That's great information. Coming from where I'm at, I wouldn't have thought to pack extra masks, but I'll make a point to bring a small box so I'm limited on where I can and cannot visit.

Good to know on capacities. Are places difficult to get into? Maybe I'll try to setup some dinner reservations just to be safe (yeah, I'm kinda type A like that, ha.)

Cheers!

16. distantmantra

Trader

Not really sure about difficulty of getting into places. My wife and I had a date night at Fair Isle and the Masonry Fremont a few weeks ago and we had to wait 10 minutes for an outside spot at Fair Isle and I had made reservations at Masonry in advance. Aside from that and a working meeting at Beveridge Place last week, I haven't had anything to eat or drink at a business since March 2020.

Staying in my part of the city!

If you never been to The Shambles in Maple Leaf, you need to go. Masonry Fremont is great for pizza and meatballs, but Delancey is my favorite pizza in the city. Windy City Pie is also really good but crazy heavy as they do Chicago deep dish.

Aside from the grilled octopus at Joule, I never think about eating seafood when out as my dad goes to Alaska every year and loads me up on fresh caught King salmon. Just seems odd to eat anything else. First world problems.

#56 distantmantra, Jun 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    John_M, vurt, Harrison8 and 1 other person like this.
  17. PerfectPorter

Thank you.

And sorry, but Chicago deep dish is casserole not pizza. I'm sure it's really good though.

vurt and DefenCorps like this.
  18. distantmantra

Trader

It's definitely a casserole, no argument. The Brussels Snout (Brussel sprouts and bacon) reminds me a lot of a unique biscuits and gravy variation.

vurt and PerfectPorter like this.
  19. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Devotee (441) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

Get pizza from Dantini in the Batch 206 space and head next door to Holy Mountain. They don't have a lot of selection on their pizzas as they're still essentially a pop-up but it's damn good.

When Big Mario's doesn't fuck up your order, it's some of the best NY pizza in the city. Obviously go to the Fremont location but avoid Bad Jimmy's (which shares a parking lot with Big Mario's in Fremont). Grab and go to any of the multitude of must-hit spots in the OP in the Fremont area.

PerfectPorter likes this.
  20. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Well, Seattle is notorious for long having more pets than kids. Some brewery/bar owners just decide that the headaches that sometimes come with allowing kids just isn't worth it. And, every kid is taking a seat that could be otherwise filled with an Amazon/Tech worker making nice jingle.

vurt likes this.
  21. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,359) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Is Shambles open for on premise dining now? It's not entirely clear if they are, based on their website and facebook page.

The wife and I will be up for a coupe of days in mid July and I'd really like to stop by if they're open for dinner now.

22. distantmantra

Trader

They’re open at 50% capacity.

PerfectPorter and John_M like this.
  23. PerfectPorter

Having the SW Steak Bowl with a Lush at Barking Dog Ale House.

Top notch.

24. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Thanks! I think we're going, but the wife would like a bit more info. Me too actually.

Our plan is to stop by on a Friday afternoon. Near as I can tell, they're not taking reservations now (per the website). Given that the place looks awesome, any idea how long a wait we can expect if we head over around 5 or 530?

Thanks!

25. distantmantra

Trader

No reservations, and it's a crapshoot on how long it will take. You can call in advance and they'll give you an estimate.

John_M likes this.
  26. AlexM

AlexM Zealot (521) Jun 9, 2011 California
    Trader

Not exactly beer related, but a very cool (and affordable) thing to do in Seattle is to take the ferry over to Bainbridge Island for the afternoon. Killer views on the way there and back ... quaint and charming walkable downtown area ... lots of wine tasting spots ... and even craft beer at Bainbridge Brewing. Did this with the family on my recent trip and it was a blast!

PerfectPorter, sharpski and vurt like this.
  27. Effinwill

Effinwill Initiate (71) Dec 2, 2016 California

We did that too. Cheap boat ride, saw a pod of orcas, met some nice people on the island and had some decent bbq and brews at the brewery.

AlexM likes this.
  28. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (334) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

The ferry ride to Bremerton is longer and even more scenic. There are a few downtown Bremerton breweries. I've never been to them, so can't vouch for their beers. Silver City is the best brewery in Bremerton, but would be a very long walk from the ferry terminal.

29. BuckeyeOne

Like many places, The Shambles is planning to go to full capacity on June 30. Based on experience, if you get there closer to 5 than 5:30, the wait shouldn't be too long...The rush typically starts a little closer to 6. Regardless, you can grab a beer/drink and have a seat around the cutting block while you wait.

distantmantra, John_M and Harrison8 like this.
  30. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Thanks. This is good and helpful news. We'll be heading up in mid July, so hopefully they'll be back to full capacity by then. Regardless, if we go we'll definitely be sure to get there closer to 5 PM than 5:30.

31. whitewhine

whitewhine Initiate (15) Jan 21, 2009 Washington

So, uh... which Breweries and brewpubs have air conditioned areas or really great setups outside to beat the heat? So we don't like... die and stuff?

(New to town; this thread/the sticky rocks hard, but unfortunately no markings on that post cover "safe for 109 degrees")

distantmantra, vurt and sharpski like this.
  32. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

We're hardy, Northwest stock. We don't even know what weather is

33. distantmantra

Trader

109 degrees isn’t a real temperature.

34. vurt

vurt Poo-Bah (1,752) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I just went outside. It's real enough.

Harrison8 and distantmantra like this.
  35. bassofthec

bassofthec Initiate (103) Aug 7, 2008 California
    Trader

Can confirm. Was visiting today and 97 was the high and pretty awful. Can’t imagine what tomorrow has in store. That being said, Cloudburst was surprisingly “cool” for not having A/C.

Harrison8 likes this.
  36. Harrison8

Society Trader

Here I was thinking I'd be escaping the Midwest heat and humidity with my work trip to Seattle. At least it's significantly less humid up there.

Those beers should hit a little extra hard after some 10+ hour days out in the heat.

P.S. After coffee recommendations for the week. Was thinking about picking up a bag or two and making coffee via my Aeropress in the AM. Plz help me avoid hotel coffee.

EDIT: IDK why, but my weather app says Seattle, but is showing the forecast for interior Washington.

#76 Harrison8, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  37. BuckeyeOne

Re: Coffee. Assuming you are staying downtown. There are a few Caffe Ladro spots scattered around downtown. I prefer medium roasts so like their Fremont blend. But all of their coffees are good.

distantmantra and Harrison8 like this.
  38. distantmantra

Trader

I like Herkimer coffee a lot. I go to the store in the U District, but they've got a location on 4th and Blanchard downtown.

Harrison8 likes this.
  39. bassofthec

bassofthec Initiate (103) Aug 7, 2008 California
    Trader

So just about every brewery of note is closed today due to the heat . Bad day to visit the emerald city.

40. drone

drone Disciple (388) Jun 17, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

My favorites:
    Definitely recommend checking out Milstead & Co in Fremont, as they generally have a great/fresh selection and some of the beans available for a pour over! It's near Fremont Brewing and The Masonry, to boot.

DefenCorps, Harrison8 and dirtylou like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.