Europe Visiting Spain

Discussion in 'Europe' started by liamt07, May 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liamt07

liamt07 Poo-Bah (2,288) Jul 26, 2009 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Parents are visiting Spain in a couple weeks, and will be essentially going to every major city in the country. They've offered to bring a back a couple beers, so I'm trying to put together a shortlist of 5-6 worthwhile things from the country that aren't too hard to locate. Any help guys? Much appreciated!

2. SlightlyStoopidG

SlightlyStoopidG Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2012 Ohio

As far as beer, I can't recommend much from the Spanish Breweries. Just bring back as much Jamon as you can :wink:

3. Chinon01

Chinon01 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2007 Pennsylvania

Bring back wine dude. Cheap, fantastic and rare.

4. liamt07

liamt07 Poo-Bah (2,288) Jul 26, 2009 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Wine is already a lock, my rents are bringing back a whole load.

Not looking for anything exquisite or rare, just (even half) decent Spanish beer :stuck_out_tongue:

5. jazzyjeff13

jazzyjeff13 Poo-Bah (2,853) Nov 6, 2010 United Kingdom (England)

The area for microbrews/craft in Spain seems to be Catalunya, with Barcelona as the hub of activity. This will probably be your best bet for locating some interesting beers.

Check out the following blog for info: http://barcelonabeer.blogspot.co.uk/
    It hasn't been updated in over a year, but still has posts with useful info.

There have been other threads on BA about beer in Spain - look through the forum. One of the most useful is this one: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/spanish-craft-scene.44767/ See if you can contact a Spanish BA who might be able to give you more details and advice.

Failing all of the above, tell your parents to bring you some Voll Damm - it's better than the brewery's main beer (Estrella).

6. torriman

torriman Aspirant (207) Jun 19, 2013 Spain
    Beer Trader

Hi, I´ve been almost two years away from Spain, but I know in Madrid there is a well named small brewery called "Cibeles". It is not difficult to find. Probably in "El Corte Ingles" shops you can find it. As others had said, most of the microbreweries are in Catalunya, nevertheless you can find some of its beers. Try to find "Rosita", they are from Tarragona (Catalunya). I know brewery is growing in Spain. Hope I helped you.

7. Torontoblue

Torontoblue Disciple (371) Jun 12, 2005 Alberta (Canada)
    Subscriber

Just come back from a week in Barcelona, and the local/Catalan brewing scene is pretty large, and growing. Some really good brews from Catalan breweries can be found at a few places in the city.

If you send you parents to L'Espumossa, they'll be able to get their hands on a lot of Catalan beers in bottles.

Had some good beers from FORT brewery, their porter was very, very good. Dougall's also do some decent beers, as do Les Clandestine's. La Calavera Juliette Extra Stout is good in bottles. Guinea Pigs is also another good brewery to look out for; their FLOW IPA Porter is worth the money. HOLZ Reservoir Hops is a decent enough IPA.

Enjoy!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.