Visiting Tillamook, Summer 2017 Update

Discussion in 'US - West' started by deGardebrewing, Feb 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deGardebrewing

deGardebrewing May 3, 2013 Oregon

A lot of updates, with some major beer changes and destinations.
    I've prioritized them below, but encourage any additions. It should be noted, that these are not organized by quality, but by something else.

Places, things and stuff;

Drink beer.

swenny916, tshanahan, balto22 and 8 others like this.
  2. ArdyExfor

ArdyExfor Nov 8, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

Say!
    I like drinking!
    I do! I like drinking!
    And I would drink in a boat!
    And I would drink with a goat.
    And I will drink in the rain.
    And in the dark. And on a train.
    And in a car. And in a tree.
    Drinking beer is so good so good you see!

So I will drink in a box.
    And I will drink with a fox.
    And I will drink in a house.
    And I will drink with a mouse.
    And I will drink here and there.
    Say! I will drink anywhere!

3. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Jul 13, 2015 Washington
    Deactivated

Also, eat good cheese, be respectful towards bovines, responsibly harvest clams, cultivate an enthusiasm for aviation history. And, above all, be chill and thoughtful and understated about it all.

4. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I've been wondering, do they use airplanes to help round up the clams during clam hunting season? Ya know, like do they with herds of deer waaay up north. Clams are way sneaky and agile, it seems like you would need every advantage you could get to get 'em in your sights.

Plus, since there are oyster beers, why not clam beers? A clam saison perhaps? Using a yeast harvested from a few hundred feet up from the plane that's being used to clam spot.

5. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I'm still waiting for The Clam Gun.

6. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

We all are.

7. distantmantra

Trader

The Blimp would also be acceptable.

vurt, kemoarps, LockeNess33 and 2 others like this.
  8. SoCaliC8

SoCaliC8 Jan 28, 2010 Idaho

What about a good spot to breakfast with beer?

9. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Pretty hard to beat Pelican Brewing over in Pacific City. Location is great, and the food and beer are at least decent.

10. distantmantra

Trader

Pelican also has a space in Tillamook now, but they don't do breakfast.

I normally just eat at some random pancake place downtown. No beer though. Just coffee.

11. SoCaliC8

Pancakes/french toast in Tillamook? Even some eggs benedict?

12. distantmantra

Trader

I'd always eat at the Tillamook Pancake House, but apparently they went out of business.

13. SoCaliC8

Fucking hell

66jzmstr and BBThunderbolt like this.
  14. deGardebrewing

deGardebrewing May 3, 2013 Oregon

Schooner in Netarts does probably our favorite breakfast, but only on Sunday's. They usually have at least a solid IPA on tap along with some other craft beer options too.
    In Oceanside, Blue Agate does a good breakfast. We eat at one or the other almost weekly.
    Both are very scenic and include beach opportunities before and after, and are very near/short drive. And the drive has good scenery too.
    In Tillamook proper, there's not much for good breakfast food. And that is not ok.

Edit; It may be worth mentioning, I agree with John on the location of Pelican in Pacific City and its value despite the cost for visitors, but I haven't heard great things since they switched to buffet breakfast. That's not me speaking poorly of them or saying not to go (you absolutely should), but perhaps lunch or a sunset dinner. Or maybe the couple reviews passed to me regarding breakfast have been a fluke. Anyhow, great stop!

15. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Well, if you're not going to limit yourself to places that have a good beer selection (and to be honest, that's not something that is all that much of a concern for me at 8:00 or 9:00 in the AM - after all, it's well to remember that beer is so much more than just a great breakfast drink), I do have a couple of selections.

In the top spot for me on the Oregon Coast, and not all that far south of your ultimate destination, is the (rightly) revered Otis Café. Fabulous home made food that's as good now as it was when I first visited the coast back in the early 90's. Be sure to try the pie there, no matter what time of the day you visit.

The Tillamook pancake house may be long departed, but Lincoln City still boasts it's superior "cousin," the delightfully tacky (but with good food) Pig N Pancake never disappoints. Depending on mood, I'd probably go with the Otis Café, but I'd be lying if I told you I don't feel the urge to stop any time I drive by the Pig.

16. SoCaliC8

17. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Sep 16, 2015 Canada (BC)

Always worth a stop in at Blue Heron for some delectable brie to go with your beer! Nowadays we stop in a the Tillamook Cheese Factory for Ice Cream, De Garde for beer, Blue Heron for cheese on our way through. Maybe a stop in a Pacific City for lunch next visit!

rails and BBThunderbolt like this.
  18. TapThat

TapThat Nov 8, 2012 Oregon

Would like to see a comprehensive list and ranking of the 30 taco trucks that exist in Tillamook

19. sharpski

sharpski Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

[Insert "Take it to tacotruckadvocate.com! Har har har!"]

20. wardpower

wardpower Jul 25, 2014 Minnesota

I'm heading out that way a week from tomorrow. Landing in Portland Thursday and driving down to Newport to stay with some friends, then back up the coast once or twice. Will try to hit everywhere I can.

ballardbeer likes this.
  21. westcoastbeergeek

this needs to be a thing....respect tacos!

66jzmstr, Robomunky and BBThunderbolt like this.
  22. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I'll start a competing website: RateQuesadillas.

kemoarps, Kurmaraja and sharpski like this.
  23. westcoastbeergeek

Fine, I'll make a Burittodd App

kemoarps and BBThunderbolt like this.
  24. distantmantra

Trader

Finding Boysenberry Bu at the grocery store tonight was a nice surprise.

25. sdhopaddict

sdhopaddict Oct 9, 2016 California

Maybe we'll be at De Garde at the same time? I'm going to be there Saturday evening the 25th and then hitting breweries in Portland (Great Notion and Upright) on Sunday before flying back. Appreciate all the suggestions in here.

26. Ben7773

Ben7773 Mar 22, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Is there not going to be a DeGarde anniversary party this year? I was trying to plan to be in the area around mid-May @deGardebrewing.

27. sittinggc

sittinggc Mar 2, 2015 California
    Trader

Hey guys, so I'm gonna be flying to Portland from LA next week. Was planing on stopping by at de Garde either that Friday or Saturday. Was wondering if there were any recommendations for things to do while in the Tillamook area and what to expect at the brewery.
    From the thread so far, I think it might be a good call to plan on having breakfast at Blue Agate in Oceanside and hang around the coast for a while. If weather permits, are there any nice hikes/trails around the area? Any input would be greatly appreciated since I will be a very lost Californian in Oregon haha.
    Cheers!

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  28. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Jul 13, 2015 Washington
    Deactivated

Drink beer, eat cheese, learn
    about blimps, clams, and other
    stuff. And Cape Lookout.

vurt likes this.
  29. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Jul 17, 2005 Washington

Don't bring a clam gun
    to a walez fight. Hand truck fleet,
    like oceans, roll deep.

30. NWer

NWer Mar 10, 2009 Washington

I really like The Grateful Bread in Pacific City for lunch. Also, Pelican Brewery has Mother of All Storms for $20 in the cooler. Tough to pass that one up.

vurt likes this.
  31. guajolote

guajolote Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

I'd skip the Blue Agate if I were you. I've been there a few times. The food is fine, but nothing special. My issue has always been that you wait forever after ordering, even if it's not that busy. It's like they cook orders one table at a time. But if you do go to Oceanside, definitely take a walk on the beach & go through the tunnel through Maxwell Point.

I second the Cape Meares recommendation. There's also a nice, easy hike around Whalen Island if the weather isn't too crappy.

As for what to expect at de Garde, expect to drink a bunch of great beers. Unless they decide to drop a "The" beer or something else crazy, you shouldn't have too much in the way of crowds or lines.

LockeNess33 and sittinggc like this.
  32. sittinggc

sittinggc Mar 2, 2015 California
    Trader

I appreaciate all the insight! Does rain usually mean a no-go on hiking and walking by the beach? Lol such a tourist question.

Cheers and thank you all!

33. guajolote

guajolote Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

Hiking in the rain is definitely a thing a lot of people do. Just make sure to have a good rain jacket and some waterproof boots. And just be on the lookout for sneaker waves when you're on the beach.

vurt, LockeNess33 and distantmantra like this.
  34. LockeNess33

LockeNess33 Feb 2, 2016 Oregon

Seems relevant:

[​IMG]

(plus this thread was all the way back on page 2 and needed a bump)

35. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

What is up with Alabama, New Jersey, South Carolina, Nebraska, and Colorado? Makes all the clamgun talk seem almost normal.

distantmantra and LockeNess33 like this.
  36. NWer

How did you overlook Indiana? Or was that normal?

37. distantmantra

Trader

My wife is from Nebraska. She saw that map and said "what the hell are jorts?"

vurt and BBThunderbolt like this.
  38. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Dude, I had to draw a line somewhere. We are all "atypical" in some way.

NWer likes this.
  39. NWer

I had to Google it myself. Those images hurt my eyeballs.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  40. ewendel

ewendel Feb 12, 2008 Washington
    Trader

please, they are not jorts, they are Action Pants!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.