Visiting Tillamook, Summer 2017 Update

Discussion in 'US - West' started by deGardebrewing, Feb 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJturnstile

DJturnstile Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2015 California
    Deactivated

Ah well, yes i've never had a real interest before either but I heard that De Garde has them sometimes and it sounded pretty insane to get such a high quality beer in such a ludicrous size. Just excess for the sake of it on my part really.

2. LockeNess33

LockeNess33 Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2016 Oregon

I certainly don't have everything figured out ... that's quite the stretch you've made from my post. But in this case, yes I do have it figured out. You asking for a proxy when you are actually, legitimately looking for a proxy can in no way be taken as a joke. Now if you didn't get into the club, already had a proxy lined up, or were local and had no need for a proxy ... then your post could have been taken as a joke (even if it wasn't funny). Not the case here.

If someone sent you a message offering to be your proxy would you say 'No thanks, that post was just a joke'? Doubt it.

DJturnstile likes this.
  3. jrstar96

jrstar96 Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2016 Texas

I would say no cause I already got one through Facebook, do you need to see messages for you to fell better about it? Plus I'm able to go once and the guy I'm splitting with is able to go once. Although I would also have to admit that I did not actually know asking for proxies wasn't allowed (I knew you couldn't sell or mule, and I guess I see how it is similar). But I no longer need one after the guy who first agreed backed out on me.

In all honesty, I realize that subtlety and intention is hard online, and realize even more I'm not great at it period so get I was better off just making a joke in my head since I was the only one who would laugh anyway, but it was still a joke. So it was the case here.

4. ewendel

ewendel Initiate (127) Feb 12, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Given that members are permitted to have potentially many different proxies over the course of being a Keepers member, I'm also admittedly unclear why this is a problem. Joke or not, who cares? It's baked right in to the terms of the membership, quite plainly...

That said, perhaps the gripe here is that such requests simply belong in one of the various ISO forums?! I have no idea, honestly.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

fondyball20 likes this.
  5. LockeNess33

Maybe it's that you just don't understand what a joke is. A joke, by definition, is meant to be funny. If there is nothing funny about it then it isn't a joke. Your post was simply a request.

This is such a dumb conversation to have. You're never going to convince me because ... logic and all. Just because you found someone on FB that is willing to proxy for you in exchange for half of the bottles doesn't mean that you weren't still looking for someone with more favorable terms. In fact, you said pretty much exactly that in another forum (though admittedly it is a bit hard to understand what you're trying to say here):

"I signed up with what I thought was a proxy locked up, but he told me that since he was not selected himself he would not be able to proxy for me unless I have a portion of the keeper bottles. So I'm kinda stuck figuring that out or going out and asking for a proxy after I already paid for the membership. Or hoping the will hold all bottles for me for the weekend in March I plan on visiting!"

I do apologize to all for this pointless sidetrack and I'll drop it. I honestly didn't know it was against the rules either and really don't care if people post wherever they want looking for a proxy. Really doesn't matter to me.

DJturnstile likes this.
  6. LockeNess33

I would assume it is a matter of forum rules and doesn't have anything to do with dG in particular. Probably similar to someone posting an ISO here.

7. LockeNess33

@John_M -- Please feel free to delete my last few posts if you feel appropriate. We've strayed quite a bit off course here and not in a fun way. Discussing a post that has already been removed.

8. fondyball20

fondyball20 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2015 Wisconsin

What is up with this thread? I don't think 99% of the people here care to discuss the bs craft beer politics (releases, proxies, pricing).

No 4 paragraph response needed.... I'm just here for DeGarde news/updates

9. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2015 Washington
    Deactivated

In the Code of Conduct, I believe you'll find the pertinent explanatory language. Personally, I had no gripes, and only thought it wise to post a friendly reminder of the rules, given the recent uptick in such requests. If it was acceptable to enter them or similar transactional proposals in these forums, they'd rapidly be inundated, and this site would become more like Facebook, Reddit, or, shudder to think of it, something even worse. (There may be other more serious issues as well behind the restriction, but that is just speculation on my part.)

Speaking of the Code of Conduct, can we please go back to talking about clam guns, cows, crabs, blimps, and, every so often, beer, too? I liked this thread better that way, and it seems to me how de Garde originally intended it...

kemoarps and sharpski like this.
  10. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Aspirant (241) Jul 17, 2005 Washington

De Garde's next release will be guarded by bipedal lobstrosities armed with dual-wielding infrared laser-sighted clam guns. Handtruck-driving mules will be penalized a 15-minute make-out session with a specially-chosen geoduck. Which is mammoth. And erotic.

[​IMG]

Said mule is then sent home empty-handed.

Just sayin'.

11. tokimedo

tokimedo Aspirant (249) Feb 28, 2015 California
    Trader

Serna714, Marco_Gtz and fondyball20 like this.
  12. Buck86

Buck86 Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2011 Washington

I read recently that the "Bu" series is no more which is a real bummer. Great flavor & low abv made those a mainstay in my favorites. Today I saw a couple of "de Mer" beers added to the board with large limits. Will the de Mer's replace the Bu's & does anyone know the abv on them yet?

Making a trip up in about 10 days so I suppose I'll find out soon enough. Can't wait.

13. South2NW

South2NW Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2013 Oregon

Marion is 6.2%, Violet is 6.1%

14. Buck86

Buck86 Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2011 Washington

Damn, it must be significantly more time intensive to brew those low abv berlinners. I was really bummed when the Bruery messed with Hottenroth (Hottenroth Fred) but I think they have since brought back the original (3.1%). Hopefully the Bu's make a comeback at some point after expansion.

15. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,247) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

You know de Garde isn't just pitching lacto into a stainless tank for Bu, right? My guess is they wanted to experiment with other beers and only have so many vessels, so something had to go to make way for potential new awesomeness.

16. catscadia

catscadia Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2016 Washington

Got some free time next saturday after making a stop at de garde. Any good hikes within an hour or so of Tillamook? Or non-cheese related touristy stuff to do? How about any places to get vegan food?

17. guajolote

guajolote Disciple (312) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

Cape Meares is cool, and really close to Tillamook. Or go hike Oceanside beach and go through the cave carved through the cliffside. If it's nice, head south about an hour to Cascade Head. Breathtaking views of the coast there.

I'm not sure you'll have much luck with vegan food anywhere on the coast, but I've never really looked for it either.

catscadia and BBThunderbolt like this.
  18. theLostWizard

theLostWizard Initiate (57) Feb 13, 2014 California

If you head to Canon Beach there's also Sweet Basil's cafe (https://cafesweetbasils.com/) that offers some vegan options. I'm aways a sucker for hanging out at Ecola state park.

19. catscadia

catscadia Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2016 Washington

Great suggestion! Thanks. We will definitely be going there.

theLostWizard likes this.
  20. heyhiggi

heyhiggi Initiate (82) Sep 6, 2014 Oregon
    Trader

Anyone notice any off flavors in the recent Boysenberry release?

21. kingsleyr

kingsleyr Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2005 Washington

specifically?

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  22. heyhiggi

heyhiggi Initiate (82) Sep 6, 2014 Oregon
    Trader

Soy sauce type flavor

23. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,808) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I forget which thread it was in, but this one will work. A huge "Thank You" to @LockeNess33 for the bottle of With Friends Like These that I'm currently enjoying. Very muchly. Bigly enjoying. Great beer. Thank You Again!

kemoarps, LockeNess33 and sharpski like this.
  24. johnny_chimpo

johnny_chimpo Initiate (0) May 29, 2015 Washington

No off flavors in the single bottle I opened.

25. _pat_

_pat_ Initiate (54) Apr 26, 2016 California

Does deGarde fill growlers? Can't find anything on their website or on here about it.

26. johnny_chimpo

johnny_chimpo Initiate (0) May 29, 2015 Washington

No, they do not.

But bottles to go >> growler fills anyway, right?
    And their on-site bottle list is killer.

NWer likes this.
  27. _pat_

_pat_ Initiate (54) Apr 26, 2016 California

Cheers for the info, bottles to go it is!

28. Bjlynch83

Bjlynch83 Initiate (159) Nov 2, 2015 Oregon

Just had my only The boysenberry this week. No off flavors here. In fact, one of my favorites this year.

29. RKP1967

RKP1967 Disciple (309) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

What is the size of the to go bottles for de Garde and what is the typical price range? Thanks!

30. dphi

dphi Initiate (110) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

750ml / $10-18 usually

catscadia and RKP1967 like this.
  31. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Hmmm, things been quiet in the land of the Clamgun armed Cows, maybe too quiet? what's up @deGardebrewing ? Now that the days are getting longer, any surprises lined up for us?

ballardbeer likes this.
  32. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Initiate (135) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

I showed up today. Loved the new tap room... looking forward to hanging out there tomorrow for a bit, too. The hose series on tap right now is excellent, and the on premise bottle list is as impressive as ever. Grabbed bottles of the peach, oximandias, and a ton of hose.

33. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Bastard! :wink:

ballardbeer likes this.
  34. willey2cool

willey2cool Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2018 Washington

Went a couple weeks ago on a sunny Sunday, first time to the new location. What a great spot! Hope it doesn't get too crowded when summer rolls around with their more accessible location and more people come into town.

Tried all the Hoses (had the regular Hose before) but I think the Zwei Hose was probably my favorite. The Peach is fantastic but they ran out of bottles a few days before we arrived. No Spiders was...interesting, we also had a bottle of The Lucy I think it was, aged with Tempranillo grapes which was amazing. Grabbed a bottle of Oxymandias and left, will try to go back maybe in the fall.

ballardbeer likes this.
  35. weaverr

weaverr Aspirant (203) Jun 10, 2008 California

Hey coastal Oregonians - the wife and I and our dogs are going camping this weekend at Cape Lookout. On our list are the Tillamook Cheese Factory, de Garde, and the Pacific City Pelican. Any other dog-friendly spots worth checking out?

Note: I don't expect the cheese factory to be dog friendly, but we'll probably just grab some sandwiches and curds and be on our way.

66jzmstr and BBThunderbolt like this.
  36. weaverr

weaverr Aspirant (203) Jun 10, 2008 California

Saw this on the Pelican facebook page:

Any recommendations on a vintage?

theLostWizard likes this.
  37. anteater

anteater Champion (813) Sep 10, 2012 Oregon

If it was me I'd go for '14, just because 4 years seems like the sweet spot for these types of beers.

sharpski, weaverr and theLostWizard like this.
  38. dwevans24

dwevans24 Initiate (81) Nov 27, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Hello friends. I'm two weeks out from my first visit to DG and getting excited. Is there a reliable spot to see the most recent on-site bottle lists?

Thanks much. Can't wait to explore Oregon!

39. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,202) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

They usually post the information on Facebook, or at least they did in the past. You can also just give them a call. The folks at dG are invariably friendly and helpful.

40. dwevans24

dwevans24 Initiate (81) Nov 27, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

I don't see the on-site on FB, but I appreciate the background John. Cheers!

kemoarps likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.