Visiting Torst Tonight

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Shmeal, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Initiate (154) Jun 7, 2005 New York

Stopping by tonight and have already decided that I want to drink nothing but the L'anjub Lug. Never heard of it and sounds weird. Therefore, I am all over it.

2. sandman3479

sandman3479 Devotee (409) Dec 8, 2006 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I was there on Saturday Night. The Room 603 was tasty, as was the Falco. The port Even More Jesus was good as well. Justin Blabaer will probably be for sale again tonight as well.

Knifestyles likes this.
  3. Knifestyles

OK, so make that the L'anjub Lup and Justin Blabaer......

sandman3479 likes this.
  4. sandman3479

sandman3479 Devotee (409) Dec 8, 2006 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I talked to my buddy who works there and he said it'd probably be back for sale sometime this week. Hopefully you luck out.

5. WhereTheWildBeersGo

WhereTheWildBeersGo Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2012 New York

I really like it Chris, I was drinking it all Monday night after my shift.

6. crusian

crusian Crusader (738) May 14, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I hear you... But everything else on tap at that time, I had had previously. with the exception of maybe one... That was over 10%.

7. t8000shx

t8000shx Disciple (321) Mar 2, 2004 New York
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Yeah, that's always a pretty annoying situation. Similar thing happened to me at Blind Tiger on Wednesday - the only beer that really caught my eye was in the 11% range. Not what I'm looking to have with a light lunch before heading back to the office.

But more broadly, I stand by my previous comment regarding the weird Scandinavian beers - some of the beers coming out of that region are really good! And completely impossible to pronounce! Why are there so many silent j's?!

8. mjc041

mjc041 Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2010 Pennsylvania

I was actually visiting this week, really enjoyed it, and definitely got a couple good beers I had never heard of off the tap list.

On that note, I unfortunately forgot to note one of the beers I had. It was darker in color and had a bit of a sour bite to it. Think the beer was called "gouden......something". Does anyone have an idea what that may have been?

Thanks

9. Shmeal

Shmeal Devotee (409) Nov 9, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Drie Fonteinen Golden Blend Mr. Campo.

10. WhereTheWildBeersGo

Pretty sure he's talking about the Goudenband on tap Sam.

11. Shmeal

Shmeal Devotee (409) Nov 9, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Oh yeah, you're probably right. That beer was excellent once it warmed up!

12. duceswild

duceswild Meyvn (1,275) Feb 8, 2010 Maryland
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm planning to stop by this evening or tomorrow night. Hoping for some good stuff on tap. If any one is around let me know.

13. mdfb79

mdfb79 Poo-Bah (4,741) Jan 11, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Finally making my first visit to TORST tomorrow late afternoon if anyone wants to meet up and potentially share a bottle or two off the menu. :relaxed:

Hoping Aún Más Café Jesús is still on tomorrow; looking forward to finally seeing the place!

WhereTheWildBeersGo and dar482 like this.
  14. dar482

dar482 Poo-Bah (3,475) Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Beer Trader

The Aun Mas regular is a ridiculously amazing and even a bit underrated beer. Bought a bottle of the Aun Mas Cafe that I still need to try.
    I'll hopefully be going tomorrow to try it on tap first.

15. brez8791

brez8791 Devotee (471) Nov 14, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I may be making my first trip to Torst Thursday night. What is the parking like around there, are there any garages close by?

16. Knifestyles

No garages, but you shouldn't have any trouble finding street parking around the McCarren Park zone that's right nearby.

dar482 likes this.
  17. WhereTheWildBeersGo

Like Chris said, look for parking around McCarren Park, if you can't find anything there's a garage Little Man Parking on N 12th st 8 min walk from the bar. Cheers!

dar482 likes this.
  18. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Aspirant (286) Jan 13, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

You should try to make it tonight if you can. They're tapping Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock and Blueberry Pancake today. Won't last long.

19. jbarone

jbarone Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2013 New York

I always park in front of "Automotive High School." Just google map it. Spots are always open in the evening. 2 min walk.

WhereTheWildBeersGo likes this.
  20. Jeffboyardee123

Jeffboyardee123 Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

Anybody else going for KRE today? I'll be there in 5 or 10, BM me

21. Crookdrain

Beer Trader

Was going to but my friend just dropped out. I think it's $12/5oz, which is kinda out of my price range. Would love to try the Blueberry Pancake though.

22. iL0VEbeer

iL0VEbeer Defender (626) Oct 4, 2011 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Bottles at the brewery were $30 for a 12.7oz... So the price at Torst is spot on.

dar482 and WhereTheWildBeersGo like this.
  23. Crookdrain

Beer Trader

Oh I understand, I'm just saying I don't have 12 bucks to spend on a few ounces of beer right now.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  24. SPRichard

SPRichard Disciple (356) Apr 26, 2008 New Jersey

25. Jeffboyardee123

Jeffboyardee123 Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

$12 for 5 ounces. Well worth every penny, cheaper than going to Michigan too

26. dar482

Beer Trader

If you can't get the KRE, definitely try Aun Mas Cafe Jesus. So good.

mdfb79 and WhereTheWildBeersGo like this.
  27. marshmeli

marshmeli Devotee (420) Feb 14, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

Hoping to try that next Tuesday when I finally make my way over there...

dar482 likes this.
  28. WhereTheWildBeersGo

It's good on tap, but the coffee is subdued. I suggest trying a bottle.

29. Knifestyles

Seriously hoping that Blue'b jam is still pouring tomorrow afternoon...fingers crossed.

30. WhereTheWildBeersGo

Should be, it's a half barrel.

jbuddle and Knifestyles like this.
  31. Knifestyles

Daaaaaaaaamn. Love that they've been sending over larger containers these days. Been watching stuff like Fluffer and DRIPA hang around at a lot of places for growler fills for some rather "extended" periods of time. Excellent news.

32. dar482

Beer Trader

Nice to know, I have a bottle too.

33. marshmeli

marshmeli Devotee (420) Feb 14, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

Had a great time and some really awesome beers at my first time visiting tonight, will def be back soon...

34. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2005 Connecticut

I don't think Torst has anything to apologize for given what that draft list looks like all the time...

35. wyatt13

wyatt13 Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2011 Illinois

I'm going to be in NYC for job training for the next five weeks, and Torst is definitely on my list of places to visit. I'm not sure yet of my availability, but if anyone wants to meet up with this Chicago BA while I'm in town, please send me a BM!

36. kjrod20

kjrod20 Devotee (409) Jul 16, 2005 New York
    Beer Trader

Bump. They announced on FB that the restaurant will be opening on 7/16.

http://www.luksusnyc.com/

No menu or anything yet but you can make reservations. I remember reading in Brooklyn Magazine they're planning to have a 5 course tasting menu for about $50 with a beer pairing for $35.

37. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Savant (957) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

after reading about everything they have to offer and their prices. If I was ever in the area I would scroll past, soo fast.

Retail1LO likes this.
  38. Retail1LO

Retail1LO Initiate (0) May 4, 2011 Pennsylvania

I thought the place was beautiful and unique, and the people I met on both sides of the bar were fantastic. That said, the prices were...steep. I had two 8 oz. Bahnhoff berliners and called it an experience. Drove back to Philadelphia after just over an hour.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  39. Padraig

Padraig Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2013 United Kingdom (England)
    Beer Trader

Will be passing through a week on Sunday with wife in tow.

Can anyone suggest some places nearby to go for dinner please? I need to build up some credits so I can get a decent amount of time at the bar.

Also do Tørst sell wine/spirits?

40. effyeaAB

effyeaAB Initiate (0) May 28, 2012 New York

Beer only. Assuming you are asking for the wife, I'm sure someone there will have enough experience dealing with that sort of situation to identify what she likes and find a beer that'll work for her palate.

As for place to dine? It depends on what you like but there are a BUNCH of places around the area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.