Vlad Release

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Shmeal, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Shmeal

Shmeal Nov 9, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Taken from Cascade's Facebook:

"Vlad the Imp Aler 2011 will be released in bottles this Saturday, Feb. 2nd from Noon to 6pm at the Cascade Brewing Barrel House on the production side and in the Den at the Raccoon Lodge & Brew Pub. Price is $30 per 750ml bottle"

Time to commence chortling.

2. LoPo87

LoPo87 Mar 9, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

$30 a bottle is bananas

3. eyeenjoybeer

eyeenjoybeer Feb 18, 2011 Seychelles

4. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Aug 17, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

That price tag is fucking ridiculous.

5. jag21

jag21 Apr 21, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

I am interested to see what Bourbonic will sell for. . .

6. Shmeal

Shmeal Nov 9, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

2 case limit for the first 200 cases sold and 1 case limit after that.

Raise your hand if you're going to spend $720 on Vlad!

black13 and barleywinefiend like this.
  7. honkduh

honkduh Jun 2, 2011 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Sign me up!

8. kscaldef

kscaldef Jun 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Aside: considering the online sales, shouldn't this go in the main Beer Releases forum?

9. slinkie

slinkie Mar 4, 2011 Washington

$30. Ouch. I'll probably still buy a couple bottles online though.

10. Dogfishipas

Dogfishipas May 3, 2008 Washington

Usually a 2 bottle minimum and $20 to ship to my area. $80 for two bottles, pass ugh.

11. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

$30 a bottle. No thanks.

66jzmstr and ramnuts like this.
  12. DimensionX

DimensionX Oct 1, 2010 Oregon

well at least they won't sell out of it right away o_O

13. guajolote

guajolote Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

The last release was "only" $22 if I recall correctly, and it was around for months. Although, I'm not sure they did online sales for that release. And I guess there's the increased awarness factor this time around...

barleywinefiend likes this.
  14. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Dec 24, 2012 Washington

15. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Aug 28, 2009 Oregon

Suddenly Ale Apothecary sounds like a good deal.

16. oregone

oregone Jul 2, 2008 Oregon

Somebody had to test the water. Unfortunately.
    Not that HotD hasn't...
    I suspect it'll sell, even if it takes awhile. If that holds true, look forward to more high priced 'limited' releases.

17. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Feb 21, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

fuck vlad give me diesel.

libbey, boralyl, Gobigvt7 and 3 others like this.
  18. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Mar 2, 2008 Oregon

Cascade has on skis and the Great White is in the water.

There's no way I'm going to pay that price. Maybe a stop in to the Barrel House to get an overpriced draft, complain about how it's all lactic acid, and then onto better things. Maybe if this was half as good as 3F Oude Gueuze it'd be worth 10 dollars more, but I doubt it.

8eer, HopHead84, gueuzehead and 6 others like this.
  19. digita7693

digita7693 Jan 19, 2010 Germany
    Beer Trader

This, sadly this

20. ggfunk

ggfunk Mar 29, 2010 Oregon

30 dollars. Tee hee.

21. oregone

oregone Jul 2, 2008 Oregon

In all fairness, they did have to import it across the room.
    Belgium. Humph.

Gobigvt7 likes this.
  22. KiMiRaiK

Do I sense a revolution a'brewin? I keep me pitchfork in me trunk for just such an occasion.

23. podunkparte

podunkparte Nov 14, 2009 Washington

I was underwhelmed by the only bottle of Vlad I've tried. Add that to the fact that I can drive 2 miles down the street and buy 750's of Tilquin Gueuze for $20 = No $40 Vlad's for me (including shipping)

24. Prufrockstar

Prufrockstar Jan 15, 2013 Washington

I imagine this has been discussed before, so please forgive my naive question here but: aside from the probable ability to (eventually) sell out at this price, is there anything specific about this that makes the price point so high? I imagine that the cost of production is a factor? This is a sincere question from me, so if anybody has insight I'd be interested in hearing it.

Don't get me wrong -- I love me some Cascade sours, and on my last trip to Portland, Cascade really was the highlight. But that was also the first time I'd ever had any of their offerings, because for the first six months they were on my radar the price of anything I'd see around Seattle was (and I guess remains) a huge deterrent.

25. KiMiRaiK

Was actually planning on buying Tilquin thursday. Better then Vlad? I was also planning on picking up The Bruerys Rueuze. Has anyone tried this?

26. podunkparte

podunkparte Nov 14, 2009 Washington

Don't waste your time and money with Rueze IMO, especially if it's between Rueze and Tilquin.

As far as I know Vlad and Tilquin are different styles. I don't think Cascade's going for a gueuze with Vlad, so while I say yes, Tilquin's better than Vlad, they're different styles of sour.

digita7693 likes this.
  27. boMD

boMD Feb 8, 2009 Oregon

Cascade is over [insert Fred Armisen]

libbey, SatlyMalty, Gobigvt7 and 4 others like this.
  28. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Nov 27, 2008 Oregon

It's been a while, but the last time I bought Vlad it was $22 (and Bourbonic was $25). So they've definitely jacked up the price from a few years ago. Cost of production may have changed, but I highly doubt it changed that much. I think this is mostly just Cascade realizing that they can get away with charging more. Anyway, I'm not biting at $30 (that's high even for Bourbonic).

barleywinefiend likes this.
  29. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Aug 28, 2009 Oregon

IMO, it was over when Ron grew a beard. Chin beards are over.

BuckeyeOne and digita7693 like this.
  30. HuskyinPDX

HuskyinPDX Jan 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

I will pass on bottles at this price. I will try a glass at the Barrel house and be done with it.

31. brewbetter

brewbetter Jun 2, 2012 Nauru

I'm surprised people think $30 for this is so crazy. Their normal releases are $20 and this is is a limited release. What makes you guys think they will release this online?

32. nate321

nate321 Nov 8, 2011 Washington

From their FB page:
    Finally! The much-anticipated release is here! Vlad the Imp Aler 2011 will be released in bottles this Saturday, Feb. 2nd from Noon to 6pm at the Cascade Brewing Barrel House on the production side and in the Den at the Raccoon Lodge & Brew Pub. Price is $30 per 750ml bottle. Online sales also start at Noon on Saturday, Feb. 2nd. Note, we will not hold orders until the release of Bourbonic - if you want Vlad, you need to order now.

33. waltersrj

waltersrj Dec 16, 2010 Washington

I thought it was ALMOST ridiculous when they released Vlad for $22 last time. I'd probably buy one bottle at $22 but $30?!? Like Brian said earlier, I'd rather buy Tilquin all day long...for less than $30/bottle. Plus, all their sours have the same underlying acidic taste.

vkv822, bfg75 and PrinceCaspian72 like this.
  34. kscaldef

Beer Trader

Their normal releases are $17. Until recently, their limited releases were $20-22. There's been a huge and rapid run-up in their prices in the last 6 months.

We think they will release it online because they said so in 3 different places (email, Facebook, twitter).

35. Sarlacc83

As mentioned previously in the thread, it took over a year for the last run to sell out at 22 dollars a bottle, and that was with online sales. So they clearly found the price point between mad rush and won't ever sell out. I can see this being available until the next run.

Also, the beer isn't terribly special anymore since it tastes like just about every other sour Cascade creates. The overuse of back-fermented lactic acid is grating, and it's a pain they refuse to do anything different. This coming from a former fan-boy. (I postulate that the barrel house was a bad thing for them because it's my opinion they're letting their beers sit too long in barrels.)

vkv822 and Gobigvt7 like this.
  36. maximum12

maximum12 Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

This is just smart marketing (or smart gouging, depending on your viewpoint). By jacking up the price AND releasing it on-line, they'll guarantee that people across the country who haven't had a chance to try it will be snapping it up to have it shipped to them. Clearly they've been taking notes from FiftyFifty (which I say without prejudice, since I order Eclipse from them every year).

I'd wager it'll be gone the day of the release.

37. maximum12

Beer Trader

Ha! Funny we posted exactly the opposite thing at the same time.

But I've been continually underestimating the exponential increase in demand for good beers over the past year or two. Would be nice to be wrong for a change.

38. Sarlacc83

Guess we'll find out. But with the vast majority of Portlanders headed to Corvallis, and after the wallet burning month of January (Fantasia/Peche 'N Brett), it's only going to sell out if there are enough online sales, and I doubt that, since Vlad carries a pretty low trade value.

39. maximum12

Beer Trader

While I was typing my response I rec'd a conversation from a good trading buddy saying he was going to order some on-line & asking if I wanted one. I'm amused for the day.

Sarlacc83 likes this.
  40. kscaldef

Beer Trader

They've sold everything they've released recently online, except Figaro. Blueberry, Cerise Nouveau, and Noyeax have all been available for months. Which is to say, I'll take that bet.

Seriously, I actually wouldn't complain about slightly more hype around Portland releases, but I wish it were going to more deserving breweries.

eyeenjoybeer, boMD, Shmeal and 2 others like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe