Vodka

Discussion in 'Other Beverages' started by gatornation, Apr 24, 2019.

1. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (4,971) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Love this new discussion forum. What Vodka's do you like for mixers and /or neat or on the rocks. I love Tito's for mixing , and Belvedere for sipping. Found a new one at TW called Gallant (French) it is superb for the price its a Grey Goose clone IMO at < $17 when on sale. Your Thoughts/recommendations.

Roguer and thesherrybomber like this.
  2. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,690) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Worked with a guy from Poland and he brought me some
    [​IMG]
    Zubrowka Bison Grass Vodka
    When I went over a year later I found that they had variants, some aged in oak, with maple and one with pine. I grabbed the oak and maple and brought them back with me along with some Belgian beer. These are outstanding to drink chilled straight up

3. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Aspirant (258) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Vodka was actually THE first alcoholic drink I got into. For years I would drink it straight, but sadly, since moving onto brown spirits, beer and wine, have a hard time finding the same interest and going back.

Some cocktails I like? Black Russian, Screwdriver, Moscow Mule.

My favorites might be Reyka and Chopin, on opposites sides of the vodka spectrum.

A lot of people don't know the first vodkas were flavored with spices, fruits, herbs, or that a few are even aged! Treated as a blank canvas for mixers and not held to a high esteem in the west. Zubrowka, Beluga, Luksusowa, Double Cross, and Zyr are some that have been on my list for some time. No idea why/how, but it seems overnight, there were a lot more options than before!

Greywulfken likes this.
  4. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (1,786) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

My Polish friend from college introduced me to this vodka. I absolutely love it. Great call.

Greywulfken and gatornation like this.
  5. cryptichead

cryptichead Meyvn (1,274) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Sobieski has been my trusted standby since it became widely available in the states. It's the best value for money I could find. Smooth, clean, made from rye (not corn or grapes). And as a bonus, Bruce Willis used to advertise it :sunglasses:

I know that Tito's has been really popular lately, but I just don't get it. Seems overpriced and I generally take an issue with vodka made from corn.

6. gatornation

Trader

Thanks i will try Sobieski,next time at store,reviews are off the charts as in the value.

cryptichead likes this.
  7. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,297) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

This is a big hit in Europe for those willing to pay roughly 20€ on it. I haven’t drink it in years but haven’t forgotten it. Delicious and to be drank neat, and properly chilled.

TheGent, Greywulfken and donspublic like this.
  8. donspublic

Society Trader

Yet so cheap in Poland...

Greywulfken and Shanex like this.
  9. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,116) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

I break my vodka down into tiers. My personal favorite is Ketel One, as much for sentimental reasons as for taste. Other beers I put in the top tier (meaning, the price is justified by what they deliver) include Russian Standard and Tito's.

After that, my second tier likely includes Grey Goose (a very solid vodka, but created specifically to be popular and trendy, not popular because it's good - but, fortunately, it is still good) and Stolichnaya.

Once you start to get into the cheaper stuff, I heavily favor Svedka. It far outperforms its price point, and is really a hidden gem. Three Olives is the opposite: just OK, but priced above its performance. Smirnoff will get the job done.

My main three vodka mixes are White Russians, Vodka Tonics, and Bloody Marys. For spicy BMs (whoa, you can read that two ways!), cheaper vodka is wholly appropriate: Svedka, Smirnoff. For WRs, I prefer to stick with Ketel One, Russian Standard, Tito's, Grey Goose, or Svedka, depending on availability. Vodka Tonic, I'm going with something fairly neutral and high performing, so a very similar list to my WR choices.

I haven't tried every vodka out there, and there are some well-regarded stalwarts and newcomers alike which I simply haven't had enough to form much of an opinion (Belvedere's, Chopin, Van Gogh).

10. Glider

Glider Aspirant (212) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts

If you can taste the difference between a Bloody Mary or White Russian made with any of the vodkas you mention, then hats off to you.

I usually just grab Smirnoff as I generally drink vodka in Moscow Mules or Bloody Marys. I have been known to drink Ketel and Russian Standard, but I think that was mostly just the marketing working on me. I honestly can’t taste the difference unless it’s something like Karlssons which was made to taste like potatoes.

Premo88 likes this.
  11. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,116) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

White Russian, absolutely. Bloody Mary, no - and that's why I specified I go for the cheap vodka for those. I'm not wasting my Ketel One in a Bloody Mary!

Premo88 and thesherrybomber like this.
  12. gatornation

Trader

I agree with @Roguer, In a simple Vodka/cranberry -lime wedge mixer ,i can tell if its Tito's , Ketal or my new favorite Gallant.

Premo88 and Roguer like this.
  13. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,154) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

My pick for the best quality/price ratio around here . . .

[​IMG]'

Made in Sweden, distilled five times from a wheat mash.

14. Doma

Doma Initiate (29) May 19, 2019 California

I cannot recommend these highly enough. All three are of the highest quality and come at a good price:

Sobieski - rye; crisp, clean, a bit citrus at the finish, extremely refreshing.

Luksusowa - potato; nice viscosity, thick, oily, earth and some mushrooms.

...and the best of all - Chopin - potato; this one is the hardest to describe, think Luksusowa but much more refined, mix of full flavor of potato and crispness of rye vodkas.

thesherrybomber likes this.
  15. Thankin_Hank

Thankin_Hank Defender (641) Nov 18, 2013 Texas

My brothers in law loved Stoli Gimlets. I became a Stoli guy as a result. Almost 40 years later I’m still a Stoli guy. I have tried many others in that time but always go back to Stolichnaya.

16. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,610) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I was counting on remembering the vodka from this thread at Total Wine today...

When I spotted "Bison Grass" I was so excited...

Though it was not the intended vodka apparently, lol...
    [​IMG]
    Sooo... there's more than one bison grass vodka? lol - who knew?

This was really good - wonder how it compares to the one you guys talked about - just went at it neat and was really impressed; for comparative purposes, threw an ice cube into the last half of the pour - still great - didn't need the ice... very enjoyable...

Thanks for the recommend - cheers...

Squire, thesherrybomber and Glider like this.
  17. donspublic

Society Trader

Probably not much different. The big thing to do with this wine is mix it with apple juice I believe, but it is such a good sipper i wouldn't do it. Absolut has a list of drinks to be made with it https://www.absolutdrinks.com/en/drinks/with/bison-grass-flavored-vodka/

Greywulfken likes this.
  18. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,610) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

You had me at, "The big thing to do..." lol

And there ya have it, Polish bison grass vodka and apple juice...
    [​IMG]
    Tastes great - my wife loved it - like sweet apple pie juice...

Na zdrowie... :wink:

#18 Greywulfken, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
    donspublic and Glider like this.
  19. donspublic

Society Trader

ok will now have to try this, just never have apple juice at the house

Greywulfken likes this.
  20. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,154) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Bison Grass is a fairly common flavoring in Eastern Europe, particularly Poland, but little seems to get imported here.

Greywulfken and thesherrybomber like this.
  21. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,622) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Ciroc is the vodka of choice at our house. However, I grab Level if I see it. I had a dirty martini with Level a couple weeks ago. It was possibly the best dirty martini I've had ... And I've a few....