Voodoo Release location revealed?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by ericwo, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ericwo

ericwo Initiate (97) Aug 21, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I heard Voodoo was supposed to announce the location of their upcoming barrel aged Black Magick beers during Philly Beer Week, but haven't heard anything yet. Did they make such an announcement, or are any details available yet?

2. tubbnik

tubbnik Aspirant (257) Apr 21, 2006 Pennsylvania

3. shadowane

shadowane Initiate (103) Sep 7, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

They did, but just the location. Blue Dog "won" the contest though I'm not sure which place or if it was just both. Not too surprised as he went the extra step to cut prices a bit on all Voodoo stuff.

4. hippityhops85

hippityhops85 Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2009 Pennsylvania

Yeah, Chris and Rob sold the Voodoo at basically wholesale pricing. The event will be held at the Blue Dog in Chalfont TBD but probably late July / early August. In addition to the bottles they will have a full tap takeover including some sixtels af barrel-aged beers.

5. shadowane

Trader

I actually only knew about the discounts because of you.

I was hoping it would be in the city, but at least the Chalfont location is big. Wonder if it will be on a weekend or a weekday.

6. hippityhops85

They tend to do their larger events on the weekends (PtY releases, KBS/CBS stuff...) I'd imagine this would follow suit. At least hopefully...

7. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

Semi-related question: does anyone know where their new brewpub location is?

8. shadowane

Trader

Mostly effects crowd size. I expect this to be popular but we'll see.

9. Steeeve

Steeeve Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2010 Pennsylvania

Is this event going to be packed? I've never encountered a crowd at the Blue Dog. I went one Friday night and they KBS, Sculpin, and 120 on tap and there were maybe 5 people at the bar. The Chalfont location seems to be more crowded on trivia night than it is on weekends.

10. hippityhops85

It will probably be relatively crowded but every event I've been to at either BD (and I've been to a ton) have been perfectly reasonable. Never a problem getting beer, table, or food. That being said, only time will tell.

11. shuggy

shuggy Initiate (148) Dec 22, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Voodoo is having their beer release 350 miles away from the brewery?

12. sliverX

sliverX Champion (823) Oct 5, 2007 S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

Very disappointing if true...

libbey likes this.
  13. shadowane

Trader

They are doing a release at the brewery too. Still, I believe Philly is by far his largest market but after the bitching that occurred during the last Black Magick release, he planned to do two releases this time.

14. gkatsoris

gkatsoris Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2007

I know they come to the Hulmeville Inn pretty frequently, (I try to never miss when they do). Any word if they are planning a trip back up this a way?

And while we're on bottling; any word on if they are going to bottle Cowbell?

15. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2010 Ohio

They have something about it on their facebook page. I guess they are sending 25% of the total bottle count out to philly area. The other 75% will be released at their new brewpub in Meadville.

MarkIntihar, lpotter and sliverX like this.
  16. guzzle211

guzzle211 Aspirant (275) Jul 5, 2006 Pennsylvania

I gotta say, whenever Blue Dog has a beer event, they do it right. Their annual Wealth of Riches events are not only run well, but always a real good time. I'm not surprised to hear they won the contest at all, they've been in the game a long time and are very clever folks.

FlandersNed likes this.
  17. merc7186

merc7186 Initiate (153) Dec 5, 2010 New York

Unfortunately, the last that I have heard was sometime by mid-June and mid-July. They must have run into some issues because it keeps getting pushed farther back everytime I hear something about it. I think that once the new place is ready to open, they will hold the release the same weekend.

18. ThoreauLikeAGirl

ThoreauLikeAGirl Initiate (188) Mar 11, 2011 Pennsylvania

looks like i'm making a trip to the brewery.
    Pinocchio's went out of their way to try to win this. Guess they didn't have the money to waste on selling them below wholesale price.

19. Axic10

Axic10 Defender (640) Mar 15, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

You're a mess Lauren. You're going to drive 4-5 hours each way instead of 30 minutes. I'm going to be doing that, but only because I want to avoid giving money to a certain individual (and it's not Blue Dog I'm referring to).

20. tubbnik

tubbnik Aspirant (257) Apr 21, 2006 Pennsylvania

They werent THAT cheap.

21. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

Sad to hear that they're pushing it back, but glad to know that they'll be releasing most of the Black Magick at the brewpub! I'll definitely be there!

JM03 likes this.
  22. dtx00

dtx00 Disciple (335) Oct 21, 2006 Pennsylvania

Everything that I was told previously pertaining to this release is that it was all dependent on the new Brewpub being ready. The fact that the dates keep getting pushed back, I believe, have everything to do with that and not with the beers. I had the opportunity to sample some of these beers a couple months back and they are delicious. I would not be concerned with them.

23. ThoreauLikeAGirl

ThoreauLikeAGirl Initiate (188) Mar 11, 2011 Pennsylvania

you're the one that said you were planning on going a while back and offered us a crash place :wink:

24. voodoobrewery

voodoobrewery Initiate (48) Aug 31, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Brewery

to answer some of the questions here

yes, blue dog won the contest, it was very close between them and pinocchios. the event will be held at the chalfont location. there is still no date set as none of the beer has been bottled yet. but it should be in august sometime and will definitely be on a saturday. it was also correctly stated that blue dog will be getting 25% of our total yield and the rest will be for sale at out pub after it opens on another date to be announced. this is to thank the philadelphia market for all their support over the last 5 years, there were many times that their orders were the ones that paid the bills.

we have no plans to bottle cowbell at this time since it is a nitrogenated product. we have no plans to change it to co2. we do, however, still have about 12 kegs of it here at the brewery, so it will be available at the pub sporadically until we brew it again later this year. definitely at the grand opening and definitely at the release, along with a couple of new goodies.

the brewpub location is in the same building as the brewery, 215 arch street in downtown meadville, pa. since we are poor, we are doing all the construction work ourselves. we didn't have tens of thousdands of dollars to sink into the pub opening, so it has taken a little longer than expected. i am more busy than ever brewing away in the brewery and helping with construction and matt and matt are doing everything in their power to get us open as soon as possible. we have been working 7 days a week for over 6 months now. this being said, since all of our resources, time and money included, are being put into the pub right now, the bottle release here will not take place the same weekend as we open. it would be too chaotic anyway. dtx00 is 100% correct in saying that the beer release is dependent upon the pub being open. rest assured that the quality of our beer has been, and will always be, our number one priority. the barrel aged beers in no way have been compromised by the pub's timetable to open.

until we get an official date set for the pub opening, you can keep up to date with us on facebook. our new website is also nearing completion, it won't be as cool as the last one, but it will be much more informative. as always, thanks for your interest and support!

cheers!
    curt
    head brewer

jmgrub, cjoc83, Psykhe and 7 others like this.
  25. WVbeergeek

WVbeergeek Poo-Bah (5,148) Sep 24, 2002 West Virginia
    Society

I can't wait to visit Meadville for a Voodoo brewpub.

26. drperry11

drperry11 Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 South Carolina

same!!

27. NiceFly

NiceFly Aspirant (241) Dec 22, 2011 Tajikistan

Does anyone know what time of day I will need to be at Blue Dog to secure one of these? Any idea how much the Black Magick will be? Feel free to contact me in private. I am just trying to make sure I have my stuff together and make it to the release, it will be around a 4hr one way trip for me.

I had one of these in a trade and have been wanting ever since. I decided I am going to this hell or high water .

28. shadowane

Trader

No date or time has been announced yet so no one can really answer your question.

29. NiceFly

NiceFly Aspirant (241) Dec 22, 2011 Tajikistan

It does not have to be today, but if anyone gets some inside info drop me a message.
    I do not get out often, this will be a treat for me.

lpotter likes this.
  30. kbuzz

kbuzz Champion (897) Jan 22, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

Not sure if this is the thread to bump to ask...but has anyone heard anything more about this release? I was going back and forth with someone at the brewery via email and as of 7/9, the beer still hadn't been bottled, but it sure sounded ike it would be fairly soon. I've been checking the website often, but there aren't any updates...anyone have any info? Specifically referring to the brewpub release in Meadville and not the one in Philly.

31. shadowane

Trader

Nope, no new info as of yet. I know Voodoo wanted to get their brewpub opened first and that happened, but maybe that's taking more of their time than they expected.

32. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2010 Ohio

I emailed them a little while back and they wouldn't give me any info other than "it will be within the next few months"

33. voodoobrewery

voodoobrewery Initiate (48) Aug 31, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Brewery

we needed to open the pub before we started to do anything with the barrel aged beers. we are making progress though, all our new labels are done and have been submitted for ttb approval. now that the pub is up and running (thanks to everyone who has come and supported us, we appreciate it more than you know!) our number one priority is getting a date set for the release and to get these beers into your guy's hands. from the date we announce the date of the release, there will be at least a 30 day window to allow everyone ample time to make travel arrangements. i'm sorry that we can't give you any more definitive details right now, but trust us when we say that we are indeed making progress and hope to have a date announced as soon as possible. thanks for your patience, we can't wait to see everyone at our pub in meadville!

cheers,
    curt
    head brewer

trxxpaxxs, lpotter and NiceFly like this.
  34. lpotter

lpotter Aspirant (248) Dec 13, 2008 Pennsylvania

Thanks for the update, Curt! I had a blast at the grand opening, and can't wait to get back to the pub!

35. kbuzz

kbuzz Champion (897) Jan 22, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

yes, the info is much appreciated...can't wait for the release!!

36. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2009 Maryland

Any updates on this? Would love to come out to the new pub to check you guys out.

37. shadowane

Trader

He's been mentioning on twitter that it will be "soon." So, uh, soon. :slight_smile:

38. rolltide8425

rolltide8425 Meyvn (1,276) Feb 18, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Speaking of Voodoo, recently picked up a bottle of Big Black Voodoo Daddy. How good is it?

39. stakem

stakem Poo-Bah (5,736) Feb 20, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Something in the range of 93 out of a possible 100 if you're a numbers person.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13371/31548
    Dare I say, it is exceptional if numbers arnt your thing.

sliverX likes this.
  40. shadowane

Trader

I liked it quite a bit when I had it a while ago. Thought it was a very good stout.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.