VT Growler Fills - Middlebury area?

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by mrz200, Jun 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrz200

mrz200 Jul 11, 2013 Massachusetts

heading up to VT this weekend for camping, hiking, and beer'ing

Plan is to get to Otter Creek tomorrow PM for dinner. They close at 6, and I'm not sure we'll get there in time.

Any other options for growler fills in the area? We are coming from north andover mass (495/93 near NH border).

Other option would be good bottle shops...although my experience in central VT is that they are all pretty darn good.

2. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

How are you getting to Middlebury? Are you coming up 7 from Rutland? Down 7 from Burlington, or cutting across?

If you cut across, you will take 125 from Rt. 100, in Hancock. Just south of that junction is a Sunoco station featuring JD's Beer Cave, inclusive of a growler filling station. https://www.facebook.com/JDs-Quick-Stop-113676732057048/
    Nice people, nice beer selection for the space they have.

mrz200 likes this.
  3. vtcraft

vtcraft Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

River roost in white river junction, and I think big fatty BBQ just opened their Crowler pit

mrz200 likes this.
  4. whatsgoody

whatsgoody Nov 16, 2012 Vermont

Drop-In on Rt. 7 in Middlebury stays open until 7, tastings and growler fills

mrz200 likes this.
  5. mrz200

cutting across so this is perfect! Thank you very much!

6. HuskyHawk

By the way, I highly recommend Worthy Burger in South Royalton as a stop for lunch/dinner.

On a side note, if you get off at Exit 3 of I-89 and planned to take 107 to 100, the Bethel Mountain Road off of Rt. 12 a mile or two north of Bethel center (it is called Camp Brook on the Bethel side) is faster and drops you in downtown Rochester (where we have our house). I avoid it in winter, but summer is great (saw a moose once). 107 follows the white river, so is a nice drive too.

mrz200 likes this.
  7. mrz200

nice I'm gonna try to direct my google map to put us that way.

We've got the Mad Taco as post-hike dinner on Saturday, and will be hopefully be hitting Pro Pig or Worthy Burger on the way home Sunday.

8. mrz200

HuskyHawk - great info here! Cut across route was a time saver, and JD's was awesome. They only fill their own unfortunately, but the beer selection was outstanding. Fresh Foley Bros & Bent Hill bombers, which are 2 I haven't had much of. Definitely a stop to make, and a growler to invest in if you frequent VT at all.

Next stop was the Bobcat Café in Bristol VT, which was nice. Had the Nitro Pale Ale and a Pro Pig-comparable Burger & Fries.

Saturday did a little section of the LT, cooled off at Warren Falls afterward. Post Hike at Mad Taco and some HF Edward & Dorothy. Saturday night was an excellent band (Gniess) playing outdoors at the Red Square in Burlington, and way too many Long Trail Green Blaze's. Was my first time trying it, and I loved the super pineyness. Enjoyed it more than the Fiddlehead IPA actually, which was also on draft and deliciously smooth.

Vermont = never disappoints.

HuskyHawk likes this.
  9. HuskyHawk

Not bad for a Sunoco station right? :wink: We do that drive several times a year, and I'll be doing it again next Saturday. Doc's Tavern in Rochester landed on a list of Vermont's ten best beer bars too, deservedly so I think. So glad we have it in town now.

mrz200 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.