Walmart stores to sell Black is Beautiful beer

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,268) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/news/2021/02/10/weathered-souls-to-sell-beer-in-walmart.html

pudgym29, Shanex, Electros and 9 others like this.
  2. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (7,996) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

A bit late, but at least they're doing a good thing.

sharpski, Shanex, Bshaw22 and 4 others like this.
  3. LiquidAmber

LiquidAmber Poo-Bah (7,527) Feb 20, 2009 Washington
    Society

I love this series of stouts. I'd even consider shopping at Walmart to get them, if they expanded this program to my area.

4. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (572) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Wonder which Walmarts in VA... NoVA? RVA? Hampton Roads area?

This would be a reason to actually go into a Walmart... I personally despise Walmarts because they are difficult to get into and out of quickly (like, say, you're getting one thing, like a 4pack of Black is Beautiful)

5. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (2,675) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

This is great. Hope to see it in NH.

BrewsOverHoes likes this.
  6. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,907) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I've had 5 versions of BiB and enjoyed them all. My favorite was one of my hometown breweries, so I really hope a second round of these beers catches on.

My second best was brewed by a black-owned brewery (actually Puerto Rican) that's only 70 miles away, so it's fairly convenient to get more of it if round two ever happens.

I've not seen an accounting of the success (or not) of this fund-raising cause, but I hope it was good enough to consider a redo of the effort, whether Wal-Mart is involved or not.

Shanex and BuffaloBill12 like this.
  7. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (4,340) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I'm not about to give Walmart much credit for anything they do ... but, our local Walmart carried the Black is Beautiful beer from a local brewery back when it was released last summer and had it in stock so long as the brewery was still selling it.

Shanex, John_M, ChicagoJ and 4 others like this.
  8. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (845) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

No beer in Wal mart here. Target has a decent selection but not seen any locals yet.

Enjoy

9. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (318) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

I mean I love corporatism mixed with my identity politics. Seems like a total win. Now if Walmart would give their employees a living wage we would be talking..... wait nah they did enough.

10. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,676) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I’ve had one and it was good, but nothing would get me into a Walmart. One store I refuse to support in any capacity.

Shanex, ShawnoftheD3ad and DIM like this.
  11. billandsuz

billandsuz Devotee (454) Sep 1, 2004 New York

Congratulations to Wal Mart. Even those guys deserve credit when they do something right.

But they will just as likely muscle their supplier into foreclosure if the Walton family decides they need another $100 at any expense. They are vipers. You can be seduced by a snake but the snake will always be a snake. Wal Mart is a the well established viper of society.

And everyone knows it too.

Cheers

Shanex, bluejacket74, John_M and 4 others like this.
  12. nc41

Society Trader

I used to be in retail, and to make people leave Thanksgiving Dinner to be at Walmart at 4 pm is unconscionable. To have to be at work at 12:01 am on Xmas is ridiculous because after 12 it’s the next day. I never ever buy shit from them, unfortunately other retailers feel the needs to duplicate this crap, I don’t buy from them either. People adjust, if they know your open it’s cool, when your closed your closed, and they’ll shop a day earlier. It’s not hard, but it is BS to make people do this under threat of being fired.

13. TomCat11

TomCat11 Zealot (535) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

I'm curious as well and also despise going to Walmart BUT when I saw this story last week I did check a couple near me out over the weekend hoping to find it but it had not shown up (yet). I did notice the Weathered Souls version received VABC approval last week so hope it shows up soon. Wish there was a list of stores getting them on the BIB site if it's not just going to all of them in VA. A quick search showed there are 135 WM stores in the state. Also maybe get some of the other brewery's versions too but of the list I don't think any of them distro to VA. At least Central Va.

14. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,737) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Late indeed but good on them. No Wal-mart here but we do have their counterparts and they are not treating or paying their employees any better (been there done that!).

just curious and a question aimed at our Californian and west coast members: has the BiB initiative reached the other retail known as « Safeway »?

Cheers

15. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,091) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

The West Wendover store here in Greensboro is a true cluster xxxx. The neighborhood Walmart at Guilford College is actually a damned nice store with a great staff. But Walmart's pricing on craft and import beers is a true rip off. And Caffey seems to have discontinued Hamm's. Sheesh.

Shanex and nc41 like this.
  16. nc41

Society Trader

I don’t like the way they treat employees, as a customer everyone’s always been helpful. I can’t support a retailer who mistreats staff especially single moms struggling with low pay and bad hours.

We have a Public coming this summer and a Lidles, so there’s choices.

sulldaddy likes this.