Want to Thank the Taphouse

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by mulder1010, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mulder1010

mulder1010 Meyvn (1,019) Aug 29, 2008 Australia

For shafting Sydney again.

http://thelocaltaphouse.blogspot.com.au/

Yeah, know it is Melbourne hype week, errrrrrrrrr, good beer week but when does Sydney get nice things?????????? Can not wait for the Dr. Order's tap takeover in Sydney.

Thanks for the love

2. danieelol

danieelol Savant (955) Jun 15, 2010 Australia

I was originally amazed and very pleased that the Local Taphouse was actually getting a decent takeover that would be worth going to...and a free one to boot!

Then I realised oh wait, it's in Melbourne

But yer, another reason not to support them really

3. barls

barls Initiate (145) Nov 15, 2006 Australia

yet another reason to skip them on the homebrewers pub crawl this weekend

4. sirob

sirob Initiate (140) May 30, 2007 Australia

Steve Grossman is visiting Melbourne and not Sydney. That would be why they are doing it Melbourne. A few of these kegs will have been bought in for Good Beer week as one onlys by Sierra Nevada because he is visiting Melbourne and they chose not to send any extras for Sydney.

Seems a little rough to blame the taphouse for not being able to dictate Steve's travel plans to him.

Perhaps your frustration should be directed at Sierra Nevada.

Oh hang on a minute they're Amercian though aren't they Mulder

5. mulder1010

You miss the point. Darlo is no longer doing growlers and on the blog there are still showing growlers and prices.
    Members of my tasting group have been told before to catch a cheap flight to Melbourne before for an event. That is not classy at all. If one venue does it, the other should as well, unless you do not show it on the blog.
    I had this rant with red hill as well and they are australian

6. Darwin553

Darwin553 Initiate (67) Jan 5, 2009 Australia

But surely you can't be all that surprised as it's not the first time the Sydney Taphouse has let you down...

and another thing what happened to the taphouse guy that used to be on here promoting or defending the Taphouse (a little bit more of the latter)??

7. heygeebee

heygeebee Poo-Bah (1,540) Aug 6, 2010 Australia

hmmm, very variable at present with their online presence. A couple of months ago the tap lists were bang up to date.

These days all the brews are from the 'Undefined' brewery. Not heard of them, myself, tho maybe suppose they must be NSW-based?

8. hawthorne00

hawthorne00 Initiate (130) Nov 23, 2010 Australia

The growler and tap list thing hasn't been all that clear down here either.

When they closed the shop, growlers and squealers were supposed to be going upstairs. Then they were prefilled. Then they couldn't swap squealers because they'd sold all the bottles. They they just stopped having them at all. Not very smooth.

The tap list disappeared for a while with no explanation, then came back as a tweeted photo from a different twitter account. Still no information about it on the website.

But sirob's general point is right, I think. The Taphouses reflect the local scenes more than determine them. SN coming here, local collaborations with Nøgne Ø, Kissmeyer, Mikkeller, Weihenstephaner - that's not the Taphouse's doing. It's a virtuous cycle of brewing talent, entrepreneurial shops and venues and - crucially - also punters. That willingness to try stuff to see whether you're going to find something unheralded that's good rather than wait for the good stuff to arrive is important. Not that I'm suggesting anyone here isn't, just that there are more of such people at the moment in Melbourne.

9. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Champion (893) Dec 29, 2006 Australia
    Beer Trader

I think the collaborations with overseas brewers is more to do with the AIBA and the work of James Smith with Good Beer Week, rather than brewing talent. I don't think the most talented brewers in this country come from Victoria.

10. hawthorne00

Well, quite.

11. mulder1010

the combination of Murray's, 4 Pines, and Riverside is better than any three breweries in Melbourne currently.

12. hawthorne00

Perhaps so.

I'm certainly keen to to try Riverside.

But I don't hold with idea that the most talented brewers drive the story. Rather, it is a confluence of factors that makes for a scene where good brewers can flourish, decent venues can take risks and drinkers can learn to be adventurous. And that feeds on itself for a time (agglomeration, clustering, network externalities, learning by doing - all the "new economic geography" stuff). It's that that's in greater flow here.

13. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Champion (893) Dec 29, 2006 Australia
    Beer Trader

BM me

14. scmorgan

scmorgan Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2005 Australia

Riverside IPA is quite a beer ...

15. barls

barls Initiate (145) Nov 15, 2006 Australia

personally love their resurrection ale. hoppy and a well hidden oak note.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More