Want to try more barrel aged beers but KBS scared me away.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by kinggimp, Feb 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nhens0016

Nhens0016 Aspirant (256) Aug 23, 2013 Louisiana
    Trader

I bet in a little bit, this person's palate will change and he will enjoy the taste. Try different types of BA beers and then grow to appreciate what you like.

I have always loved bourbon. So I appreciated BBA beers before much of anything. Your palate will grow though. I started with pilsners, then went to wheat beers, then to saisons, now I am into IPAs and stouts. You will grow to love it I am sure!

2. GregA135

GregA135 Aspirant (281) Mar 25, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

It took me a few beers to get me to love barrel aged beers. You should age a few bottles, aging usually settles down the heat from the alcohol so its not so prominent. I had a 2014 Goose Island BCBS, and damn it tasted good!

3. zid

zid Meyvn (1,189) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Your question is a good one. Many beers like this are not trying to be subtle because the audience for them doesn't want subtle. Regarding some of the previous recommendations: I don't think Backwoods Bastard will be a good fit. While Oak Aged Yeti might be a beer that you'll end up liking because it doesn't have that bourbon component, it still is pretty "in your face" in it's own way. For a dark beer with a subtle barrel character, try Anchor's Barrel Ale before it gets too old. For a different style, try Allagash Curieux, their bourbon barrel aged tripel.

buckeye1275 and UrbanCaveman like this.
  4. CNoj012

CNoj012 Meyvn (1,466) Dec 7, 2014 New York
    Trader

W00tstout 3.0

Gemini6, buckeye1275 and keithmurray like this.
  5. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,469) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I respectfully disagree. I'm not a bourbon fan, or even whiskey in general. But I love bourbon barrel aging in Impy stouts and barleywines in particular. Mother of All Storms is a topnotch BBA English style BW. I LOVE it. So many great ones out there. As for @kinggimp OP's KBS experience, KBS is pretty "hot" so he shouldn't write off all BBA stuff. Try a few more.

6. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,413) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

I love bourbon beers but I do not like bourbon straight or in drinks.

jrnyc and 2beerdogs like this.
  7. raynmoon

raynmoon Champion (804) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

first time having those beers= OMG this tastes like a shot of whiskey.

now= not enough bourbon character.

crazy.

8. Phoodcritic

Phoodcritic Defender (620) Jul 3, 2014 Michigan

Perrin Lil Griz

9. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,153) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

I might be in the minority here, but I like BBA beer a lot better than bourbon itself. Bourbon itself is overwhelmingly harsh to me. I like that with BBA beer you can get the taste of bourbon, but it's smoothed and mellowed out.

10. unhyped

unhyped Initiate (87) Feb 13, 2015 Oregon

That's just your opinion though I rarely ever drink whiskey of any kind at all but I do enjoy a good borboun Barrel aged stout.

2beerdogs and HorseheadsHophead like this.
  11. mambossa

mambossa Aspirant (236) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

I've never have had anything BA that would be considered "subtle", otherwise, why would they even bother aging it in a particular barrel?

Albeit many saisons and wild ales I've had aged in certain barrels have been well-balanced off the bat. But BA beers are designed for big, heartily barrel notes. It can be an acquired taste, but they are easy to fall in love with.

5thOhio likes this.
  12. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,106) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Honestly, if you don't like bourbon barrel-aged stouts, consider yourself lucky. They're both more expensive and harder to get than the vast majority of beer styles, so there's no reason to force yourself to enjoy them.

With that being said, appreciation comes with time. Most people don't roll out of the womb liking this stuff!

Gemini6 likes this.
  13. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,382) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

I would suggest beers with less aggressive barrel flavor in them.

Weyerbacher Heresy
    Siren Noire

dennis3951, PJ_, Keffa and 1 other person like this.
  14. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,427) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I realize your in WI, but beers similar to Lindley Park might be something you might like. It's brewed with Raspberries and they are aged in 2nd use Event Horizion barrels so the barrel influence isn't particularly aggressive. Just an idea as to style that might agree with you.

Zaphog likes this.
  15. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (515) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Exactly. Be original the world has far too many sheep & clones. If you're not down, OWN IT.:astonished:

alucard6679 likes this.
  16. SonictheBeerhog

SonictheBeerhog Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 New York

I don'tn agree with that. I can't even sip Bourbon, but I can drink barrel-aged all day.

jrnyc likes this.
  17. kinggimp

kinggimp Aspirant (225) Feb 18, 2015 Wisconsin

It's not that I want to force the style on myself just didn't want to dismiss the style after trying just 1 bba stout. Maybe it will just not be for me. Figured at least give it a try.

18. Spaten454

Spaten454 Disciple (382) Aug 23, 2012 Texas
    Trader

So you like ketchup but not tomatoes.

19. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Crusader (784) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Trader

Big Bad Baptist

VABA and Zaphog like this.
  20. thuey

thuey Disciple (322) Nov 13, 2015 California

I don't get it... I feel like the one time i had Backwoods Bastard 2015, it was as bourbon/booze-bombish as BCBS, nevermind KBS, which is much more drinkable.

But since we're on Founders, Project PAM is freakin fantastic. Definitely the best thing I've ever had from them.

To OP, I think Firestone Walker bourbon-barrel aging program would be your best bet. They have the most harmonious/balanced taste of all the stuff I've had, although they fare much better on tap than bottle in my experience.

21. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (8,420) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Entirely possible - plenty of folks don't like the seeds and gel-like flesh of a tomato, or the watery nature. Ketchup avoids all of that and adds salt, sugar and vinegar taste. I can see where some folks might prefer BBS to straight bourbon.

22. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (321) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

Same progression with hops.

23. cck5

cck5 Initiate (0) May 11, 2014 New York

Can anyone recommend a cheese pizza that doesn't really taste like cheese.

Can anyone recommend a coconut water that doesn't taste like coconut

LOL

Sorry but wtf. A bourbon stout that doesn't taste like bourbon uhh *scratches head*

24. RogelioRodriguez

RogelioRodriguez Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2015 California

The simple answer is no...not possible. If you don't like bourbon barrel aged beers, its because you don't like to drink flavored beer...beer is beer...beer in a barrel is barrel flavored...Let's not call it barrel aged.

If it were barrel aged it would be a fresh new wood barrel. Sloppy second booze barrels are exactly what you get with each and every release...Let's not discount the fact that they can be enjoyable to drink to many.

For me I have a hard time paying a premium for beer that has been aged in a second hand barrel. I pay less per ounce for wine that has been aged in a new barrel. The industry can pretend it's sophisticated, but let's call it what is...bourbon flavored beer.

25. Himself

Himself Initiate (177) May 20, 2014 Massachusetts

one of my favorite barrel aged beers is Allagash's Curieux which spend only a couple weeks on barrel imparting the caramel and a bit of the complexity bourbon has without "offending" the delicate balance of the belgian style ale.

26. MisterB330

MisterB330 Initiate (78) Feb 8, 2015 New York
    Trader

You should try GROWING A PAIR.....

27. Keffa

Keffa Defender (605) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

I was going to suggest Siren Noire. Very light on the barrel character.

Grow up.

28. BubalooBrewMaster

BubalooBrewMaster Disciple (389) Feb 24, 2013 Nevada
    Trader

That allagash IMO is going to rip the OPs face off.The bourbon is very intense on that one.I wouldn't recommend buying or committing to a bottle of it.

Personally I've had from subtle to in your face Bourbon barrel aged stouts and IMO KBS is one of the most toned down ones.

29. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (281) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Agreed, I really had to search for the bourbon in BB Buffalo Sweat as well as the BB Vanilla Buffalo Sweat w/ Cinnamon. Not only was the bourbon virtually non-existent, but to me they both seemed much thinner in terms of mouthfeel than the original. Personally, I like the original Buffalo Sweat for an every day, easy drinking stout. Not a big fan of the BB versions...

One other point, I didn't start to really appreciate barrel-aged beers until I made an effort to significantly change my "pace" while drinking them. You really need to sip them over a much longer period of time than a typical beer. For me, drinking a BA beer in a shorter amount of time will lead to the beer tasting quite harsh and not enjoyable at all. If you slow it down (meaning don't be afraid to spend an hour+ on a single beer) and sip sparingly, BA beers can really shine. That said, if you simply detest the flavor of bourbon (or other spirits) then they are not for you.

#69 Hoos78, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  30. Keffa

I didn't know this was Wine Advocate...

The reason bourbon barrels are "second hand" is because to be legally called bourbon, the barrel has to be new, charred oak. They cannot reuse barrels.

Any premium you pay for a barrel isn't just for the barrel, it's for the time, space, and extra labor involved.

OP, another you may like is the Anderson Valley Bourbon Barrel Stout. It, like the Siren Noire, is only in the barrels for 3 months.

31. rjd722

rjd722 Crusader (715) Nov 17, 2013 Maryland

Bourbon BAs happen to be my favorite, but if it's not for you there are other options. Cognac, wine, gin, rum, etc. are all becoming more popular. I would seek one of those out and give it a whirl if I were you.

32. MisterB330

MisterB330 Initiate (78) Feb 8, 2015 New York
    Trader

Apparently you aren't familiar with the rules regarding the maturation of Scotch Whisky..

"Second hand barrels" SMH

33. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Poo-Bah (1,774) May 7, 2015 Florida
    Society

Try Sunday Morning Stout

34. 50StateBeerTour

50StateBeerTour Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2016 Arkansas

Maybe try a BA cream stout or coffee stout. Not sure what is available in your area, but the one's from Ozark beer Company here are amazing and I'm not a bourbon drinker at all.

35. Keffa

I said bourbon, not scotch. To be legally called bourbon, it HAS to be in new charred oak barrels. Go read the laws.

36. Fox82791

Fox82791 Devotee (469) Jun 20, 2014 New York
    Trader

Kbs is pretty light on the barrel flavor to begin with compared to most so BA beers probably aren't your thing

37. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,427) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I'm reading his comment that used Bourbon barrels are being used to age scotch, this is true. It's also law that new oak charred barrels be used to age Bourbon, and they cannot be reused.

Keffa likes this.
  38. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (3,034) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

You are in WI. Try any of Tyranena's barrel aged offerings, because of how the barrel complements and is not overpowering. If you do not like those, you do not like barrel aged beer. Wrath of Rocky should be around soon.

39. Keffa

Bourbon barrels are used for a lot of stuff after they age bourbon in them. But every used bourbon barrel that has come directly from a distillery are going to be second use or "second hand", because the first use was to age the bourbon in them. After that, they cannot legally be used for bourbon again. They could be used for a different whiskey, but they cannot be labeled bourbon.

That was my only point. :slight_smile:

nc41 likes this.
  40. busternuggz

busternuggz Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2008 California

They really vary, it's kind of a crap shoot. Sometimes the same beer varies in bourbon presence depending on the batch. Try some more when you find them, you'll find some you like.

I might suggest that you try barrel aged stouts with adjuncts like coffee or cacao nibs, they can kind of cut the bourbon/sweetness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.