"Want to Visit" check box for Places

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by FBarber, Jun 7, 2019.

1. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,787) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Last night I was browsing some brewery listings on the site in a particular area I often visit for work. There were two or three I'd never heard of, but want to visit. I wrote them down in an email draft so I'd remember the names of the places I wanted to visit. But while doing that I got to thinking - there is a "want" checkbox for beers (that I use all the time to remember beers I want to try) - but nothing comparable for places.

So, is there anyway that a check box - something like "want to visit" could be added to a place page to allow people to check off breweries they want to visit and have a running list to refer back to?

Thanks for the consideration and feed back!

2. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,175) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

I would also appreciate this feature, especially when planning travel to new areas and researching what Places I plan to visit (it would produce a simplified list which is especially helpful when visiting large metro areas with tons of listings).

FBarber, sulldaddy and PapaGoose03 like this.
  3. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,080) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

I would also like to have this so I can easily recall them when I travel.

egrandfield, FBarber and sulldaddy like this.
  4. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,422) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Definitely a nice feature to track places. Would be a great add on to the site.

FBarber likes this.
  5. rex_4539

rex_4539 Meyvn (1,313) Dec 20, 2014 Greece

6. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,480) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I agree

I would also like to be able to search places by a box drawn on a map or within a specified radius. I took my birthday off and am thinking of hitting a few craft beer stores in Northwest Iowa. It's tedious to look at a list of stores in Iowa and try to recognize the towns which are within 100 miles or so. If I could bring up a map, draw a search square, and get a list of stores and taprooms in that box, or get a list within 100 miles radius - this would save me a lot of time.

I know this is possible because the place I work uses this type of search for geographic data. It would require each place be saved with map location data such as lat/long, but that can be derived from the address once, and the results stored and used for searches.

sulldaddy, PapaGoose03 and dbrauneis like this.
  7. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (710) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Like this idea.

Enjoy

8. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,429) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

The good news is that you can go to Places>Nearby, move the map to where you want to visit, and then get a street map display of everything in the BA database represented by different symbols for each type of establishment. It's a lot better than nothing. :slight_smile:

The bad news is that the street map service has not been indexed with the database for about 1.5 years so that you won't get anything newish in that area. :slight_frown:

sulldaddy and bbtkd like this.
  9. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,480) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

That actually works pretty good, other than being a bit dated. Thanks!

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  10. FBarber

Society Trader

Is this something you could suggest in one of the Moderator feedback forums?

11. HopBelT

HopBelT Meyvn (1,314) Mar 18, 2014 Belgium
    Society Trader

Great idea !

12. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,175) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Suggesting here works just as well!

sulldaddy, FBarber and Junior like this.
  13. 67couple

67couple Zealot (526) Jan 31, 2006 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Nice. Friendly advocates willing to share a beer with could be another suggestion. Always like to meet like minded folk.

14. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (5,013) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

Great idea! Especially helpful since most city guides don't include nearby suburbs and towns that have places you could mark so they don't get missed on the visit

15. FBarber

Society Trader

This scenario just came up again as I found another brewery I want to eventually visit ... Any chance this suggestion could happen @Todd?

emerge077 likes this.
  16. Todd

Todd Founder (5,578) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

We'll definitely consider it.

emerge077 and FBarber like this.
  17. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer Poo-Bah (1,671) Dec 29, 2013 Washington
    Society

You may also check the local forum for a guide or suggestions. I know in the PNW forum the members keep an uptodate list of breweries, bars, and bottleshops to visit in Seattle and Portland areas. I don't know Iowa well enough for NW Iowa but there might be some thing there.

18. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer Poo-Bah (1,671) Dec 29, 2013 Washington
    Society

I would definitely appreciate the Want to Visit button for places as well as some sort of tour creator (like the drawing on a map for locations in it idea).

FBarber likes this.
  19. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,429) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

A twist on this Want-to-visit button could be a Favorite Brewery button to check if the brewery fits that category for a BA member. Everyone can have up to 5 favorite breweries, and the totals could be listed on each brewer's page. It could produce some interesting info to see which big breweries are popular with a restriction of 5 per member, as well as which small 'homer' breweries in frequently-visited towns are also well liked. Some of the allotment of 5 could be used as a reminder for breweries that you want to visit.