Warm ferment with 1056-results?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by incutrav, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. incutrav

incutrav Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2007 Minnesota

I brewed a smoked porter on saturday with 1056. Had it fermenting nicely in our extra bathroom as of yesterday morning at 66 degrees. My daughter closed the door on the room last night, and when i checked on it this morning, the temp on the bucket was 77! Crap. I opened the door and put a wet towel on the bucket. I realize that this may result in fruity esters, etc. I am curious if anyone has any experience in fermenting warm with 1056, and how were the results?

I have fermented with 1056 up to about 74 degrees before(IPA), but never noticed anything 'off' in the flavor.

2. jculler82

jculler82 Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2006 Pennsylvania

How far along into the ferment were you? If you were through the yeast's growth phase I think you're fine as far as "off flavors" go. I've fermented with 1056 in the 70's before I had temp control and it was still a clean beer in terms of esters (brown ale), but it attenuated to 1.005 because the yeast just didn't want to quit.

3. incutrav

It began fermenting on sat. evening, so it was only about 24 hours into fermentation.

My last three 1056 beers(all IPA's) got up to 72-74, and have all gone down to 1006. Not a big deal for those, would rather not have my porter be that dry though. I did mash at 157-158, so hopefully that helps.

4. jlpred55

jlpred55 Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2006 Iowa

I've done it once that high with 1056 in a blonde ale and it was fruity but not overwhelmingly so. Long story but similar to yours, though the beer ended up being pretty good from what I remember. The one thing I did notice is the yeast didn't ever seem to flocc out and I remember the beer looking like a hefeweizen with all that yeast still in there. It did however settle out once it hit fridge temps.

5. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

I am thinking you will be ok since you had a good 24 hours of fermentation at a good temp first. But, I would probably try and get that sucker back down just to level it out and help it condition a bit.

6. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

Never fermented that high, but I detect some odd apricrot/peach esters when fermenting in the 70+ range.

7. incutrav

Hopefully it pans out and doesnt ferement down to nothing.

8. JebediahScooter

JebediahScooter Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2010 Vermont

My first AG brew, I had issues with chilling: clogged drains, inability to use my cfc, pouring the kettle into the fermenter, not enough ice available, emptying the fridge and trying to chill there, etc. Long
    story short, I got frustrated and went ahead and pitched in the mid-70s and didn't get it down to the 60s for a day. There was a noticeable bubble gum flavor in my APA, but it was by no means ruined.

9. incutrav

In 40 batches or so, I dont think i have ever pitched the yeast below 75. Almost always cool to 80, aerate and pitch. This isnt so much an issue in my eyes, as by the time fermentation actualy starts(usually six hours or so), the beer has cooled to ferm temp. In this instance, it was at 66.

10. MMAJYK

MMAJYK Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2007 Georgia

US05 is a very forgiving yeast. I've had a few beers spike on me, with no real bad side effects. I've probably used this yeast 100 times, too. RDWHAHB. Give it a little more time in secondary or in the keg cold conditioning and it'll be just fine.

mnstorm99 likes this.
  11. incutrav

It was down to 70 by the time i got home last night and krausen was almost to the top of the bucket, and when i checked it this morning it was at 64, so im guessing fermentation slowed down. Ill take a peak under the lid tonight to see if the krausen fell.

12. DaveJanssen

DaveJanssen Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2008 Germany

Fermenting warmer won't make the wort more fermentable. That is all locked in by your mash.

I imagine you'll probably be fine. There might be some off character generated by the yeast that they won't re-metabolize at cooler temps but it probably won't ruin the batch. Maybe try to take a quick taste sample if the krausen has fallen when you check it tonight.

13. gotweid

gotweid Initiate (0) May 9, 2007 Michigan

I also think this will be fine but I can't say that I've ever experienced a temp hike like you did. I'd really like to hear about this batch when it's complete.

14. incutrav

Krausen hadnt fallen as of yesterday, so i didnt mess with it. Its only been 5 days. Ill take a hydro sample next week sometime and check gravity and have a taste. Ill shoot an update on here as well.

15. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Maven (1,374) May 2, 2006 Utah

Think of it as an experiment -- nothing you can do about it now but see how it turns out.

16. incutrav

To follow up on this- I kegged and added 3oz of Maple Bacon Morning coffee. Turned out great-maple-ey, smokey good. The 77 ferment doesnt appear to have any effect on the final product.

gotweid likes this.
  17. Swim424

Swim424 Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2011 Florida

Im brewing a pale ale with Safale-56 (US-05) at around 78 degrees and it is going crazy, and the samples taste pretty damn delicious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.