Washington Beer News 2020

Discussion in 'US - West' started by BBThunderbolt, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,026) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I've had a couple of their beers, on the way back from Yakima a few years ago. Solid and enjoyable, the kind of neighborhood brewery you would go to cuz it was close and the beers were good enough. But, not a brewery you need to go out of your way to try. I won't need to get off I-90 for them now.

Plus, it seems they don't know what actual Nazi-ism was.

NWer, kemoarps, woemad and 6 others like this.
  2. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (3,088) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

What, just because if you posted a doctored photo criticizing the state in actual Nazi Germany you would have been silently disappeared to a concentration camp or worse, and your brewery would have been absorbed by the state? Details.

kemoarps, woemad, 66jzmstr and 2 others like this.
  3. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,195) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

The anti kneeling shit is the craziest political stance of our times. People are really saying that asking cops not to kill innocent civilians is "anti-police"? What do they think the police's job is...

jakecattleco, NWer, kemoarps and 12 others like this.
  4. draheim

Society

Apparently you are forgetting that kneeling during the anthem was perverted by right-wing media into a sign of disrespect toward the flag, the troops, America, apple pie, baseball, and Jesus. It’s all bullshit, of course, but that’s what it now signifies to about 40% of people.

jakecattleco, NWer, kemoarps and 7 others like this.
  5. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,359) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

IMHO, this is much ado about nothing. While I don't personally approve of the humor displayed, I'm not particularly bothered by it. Years ago, when I lived in Santa Cruz California, my favorite pub in town (the poet and patriot) had this great poster explaining how and why one could conduct a citizens arrest of Ronald Reagan. They listed the specific statutes he had violated, and reminded erstwhile citizens that he was extremely dangerous. So one should exercise extreme caution when attempting a citizen's arrest.

I thought the poster was hilarious and wasn't the least bit bothered by it (but then I was no fan of the gipper). However, I'm pretty sure fans of the president would not have been the least bit amused. At the time, I would have suggested they needed to get over themselves. I would make the same suggestion to those who are bothered by this depiction of the governor.

#125 John_M, Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  6. draheim

Society

I don’t know. I think the whole Nazi thing goes a bit overboard. I’m not personally offended by it but I think it does a disservice to victims of actual Nazis and their descendants. All Inslee is doing is trying to stop the spread of the virus, and this kind of crap doesn’t help. But the brewery certainly has the right to express their opinion, something actual Nazis (past and present) would never tolerate.

jakecattleco, NWer, kemoarps and 7 others like this.
  7. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I personally agree, and think the poster is in bad taste. That being said, would you be similarly offended if this was a picture of Donald Trump in a Nazi uniform? If I'm honest with myself, I'd have to admit I wouldn't be. I'd probably consider it silly and a bit juvenile, but I wouldn't be particularly bothered by it. That's how I tend to see these posters of Inslee.

#127 John_M, Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  8. draheim

Society

Actually I think I’d view it in a similar light, unless maybe it was used to protest actual ICE detention centers where it was directly comparing U.S. policy to that of Nazi Germany. But in general the whole “comparing your adversary to Hitler/Nazis” thing is intellectually lazy and dishonest. Similarly, I think mocking Trump for how he drinks water from a glass, or walks down a ramp, or even how he garbles his words is just taking cheap shots and is actually counterproductive. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to criticize the current administration without stooping to their level.

9. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,277) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Stop it, both of you! You keep making levelheaded arguments for your perspectives and I don’t like changing my mind every few seconds like that.

10. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

My take as well. IMHO, there are plenty of completely legitimate reasons for finding fault with current administration policies and viewpoints. Mocking someone for the way they look, how they talk or how clumsy they are... That completely smacks of something Trump would do and I don't want any part of it.

11. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Mea Culpa. I'll stop right now. :sunglasses:

woemad, draheim and sharpski like this.
  12. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (4,415) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Getting sorta back to beer, I've only had one can of that brewery's beer. It was spoiled by age and was packaged in an undated can. It wasn't going to take much to nudge me over to the side of not having their beer again, and now the owners have accomplished that.

draheim, kemoarps and vurt like this.
  13. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Initiate (135) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

#133 ballardbeer, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  14. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (6,371) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

No advanced CEO pack? I know that there are some grizzled veterans of the pils drinking industry here...

woemad likes this.
  15. ballardbeer

we've flirted with the idea of bottleshop-curated packages. would that suit your advanced-CEO grizzled-veteran desires? $1500

16. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Apparently, SAAL in Stanwood is sorta brewing their own stuff now. They've done a few batches at Lazy Boy. No word when their own brew system will be up.

17. woemad

Society Trader

Damn, haven't heard Lazy Boy mentioned in about a decade. I had no idea they were still brewing.

sharpski likes this.
  18. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,201) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I thought the same thing, but then they did a Strata Fresh Hop IPA last year that I thought was pretty damn fantastic.

woemad likes this.
  19. rrock44

rrock44 Devotee (471) Oct 27, 2009 Washington

In SE Washington news, more specifically Tri-Cities, more specifically Kennewick. Our city’s Mayor’s business Green2go Wellness (aka weed) has opened a “speakeasy” of sorts. There is a bookshelf door inside G2G that takes one to the beer. Supposedly you buy singles from the most sought out breweries.

Now you pay a premium for this. $10 a can (people gotta be “high” to pay that, right. Sorry, couldn’t resist). I looked over the list and the only “sought after” beer/brewery I recognized was Grape Lotion, er Great Notion. Not sure how the mayor was able to get Great Notion (did he drive down to Portland and buy a bunch of cases?), but he does have a pretty good variety of GN listed. Not sure on quantity.

https://prohibition.beer/

woemad, sharpski, kemoarps and 2 others like this.
  20. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Well, GN does have WA distro, so he's probably able to get the beers through those channels. Not sure if GN self-distributes or uses a house.

woemad, rrock44 and kemoarps like this.
  21. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Either way, $10 a can seems slightly on the high side, even for GN.

woemad, vurt, rrock44 and 1 other person like this.
  22. ballardbeer

that's like $16/can in washington DC beer pricing.

BBThunderbolt, John_M and rrock44 like this.
  23. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

So, as is my recent habit, I'm streaming the M's radio cast while internetting. Part of my internetting is following the Mariners gamethreads on Lookout Landing, and tonight in the "what beverage you drinking during the game" sub-thread (y'all think WE go off topic here? BTW, the dude did not burn his house down last night, drunken deepfrying raviloi.) someone mentioned Perihelion brewing making decent Belgian styles. I don't recall hearing of them, yet they seem to have been around a while. Thoughts, comments? I do love me the Belgian-y thangz!

woemad, ballardbeer, kemoarps and 3 others like this.
  24. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,201) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

They’re in Beacon Hill. Good food, meh beer but it’s getting better. I had a Guava Saison there in January that was pretty nice.

25. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Meyvn (1,309) Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Trader

I think it's been two or three years since I was at Perihelion, but my memory squares with @distantmantra. I liked the place quite a bit. It was small, with a bistro feel, but totally unpretentious and no foody vibe at all. Yes, the beer was unremarkable, but that's in a town with good beer everywhere. The beer wasn't good enough to make you drive a long way (e.g. from Bellingham), but it was fine.

Digression: we used to visit Portland a fair amount. It struck me as we hit a lot of breweries or beer-centric restaurants, that everywhere in Portland, the food at the beer joints would be quite good. But in my own home town, Seattle, the combination was rarer. My favorite Seattle places either had no food at all (Beveridge Place, The Beer Junction, Fremont, Reubens, Cloudburst, Holy Mountain, Stumbling Monk, Über) or maybe a food truck or two (Chuck's CD). In Seattle, Perihelion stood out not because it was great, but because it seemed to care about both the beer and the food. There are a few other spots in Seattle that are like that: The Shambles, The Masonry. I thought Toronado Seattle was pretty good. But I can't even come up with five names.

Does anyone have an explanation of why Portland seems so much better?

woemad, kemoarps, NWer and 1 other person like this.
  26. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,195) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Portland has one of the best food cultures of any US city. The sheer volume of delicious food options in that city is staggering.

woemad, ballardbeer, kemoarps and 2 others like this.
  27. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Pretty much this I think. Rightly or wrongly, there's a perception here that pdx is a foodie town. Residents expect to get good food when they go out to eat, and places that have mediocre food don't generally last long. As a result, even places I would expect to get lousy food (sports bars for example), tend to have pretty decent food in pdx. That's not to say it's impossible to get bad food here, but places that do have mediocre food typically have something else going on for them that's a draw (they're open all night, they're a really popular entertainment venue, they're attached to a hotel, etc.).

It's a pretty interesting contrast after living in Baltimore for so many years (where mediocre food is sort of the expectation, and one is surprised if you get a really good meal at a pub).

woemad, ballardbeer, kemoarps and 2 others like this.
  28. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Popped over to Gruff for a moment earlier today with a wee gift, and in chatting they mentioned that they're getting a new brew system later in the week. I didn't have time to ask for details, but will when I can.

29. Drinky

Drinky Initiate (60) Oct 16, 2016 Washington
    Trader

First Structures beers for Year 2 sounds fantastic:

Feral Bones, an Imperial Stout aged in Weller Barrels for 16 months...then conditioned on Cacao, Toasted Coconut and a very subtle amount of Madagascar Vanilla. This is a better version than the cans. We are very happy about this iteration, compared to the previous canned version. 12%abv

Sunrise, an Imperial Stout. A blend of young Imperial stout cold conditioned in stainless steel and Imperial Stout from Weller Bourbon Barrels aged 16 months. Conditioned on whole Madagascar Vanilla beans, toasted Coconut and Coffee from our friend's farm in Guatemala, brought to the PNW by Onyx Coffee, and roasted by Steed Roasters. We are really excited about this beer. We will have a limited amount of beans of this coffee available from Steed Roasters.

woemad likes this.
  30. woemad

Society Trader

I love how that guy snuck his business in before the conservative county commissioners (or was it the Kennewick city council?) made weed businesses illegal. Now he's in politics with the money he's made from it, and will absolutely not be making a push for his monopoly to come to an end.

#150 woemad, Sep 11, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  31. honkduh

honkduh Aspirant (233) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

32. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

That's not quite what the article said, or what I read on their Instagram page. From the brewpublic article:

"Hopefully this will be a temporary closure, as this is still very much up in the air and even so the closure will surely last into next year."

You may very well be correct, but for now I'm hoping otherwise.

kemoarps, Reidrover, NWer and 3 others like this.
  33. NWer

NWer Champion (801) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

i hope you're right John. You know that's a must stop for me when Monica and I venture out again.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  34. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

35. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

In beer news from The City of Subdued Excitement, 122 West has announced their permanent closure. They tried, with beer and food specials, to get through our current times, but seems as if they couldn't. The brew equipment is up for sale.

IIRC, the building is owned by the guy who owns the local Inbev house, Sound Beverage.

kemoarps likes this.
  36. Robomunky

Robomunky Aspirant (200) May 14, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Bummer. I only got to stop in there once or twice before Covid hit. Enjoyed both the food and beer I had. Seemed like they had potential to be a semi-regular stop.

kemoarps and BBThunderbolt like this.
  37. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

38. woemad

Society Trader

I don't think I'd heard of this one.

39. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

It was the Melvin location. Beer was solid enough, and the one thing I ate there (sort of poutine with porkbelly, and a sauce instead of gravy) was really good. But, if I was in that neighborhood, I tended to go across the street to Menace.

40. PerfectPorter

PerfectPorter Initiate (138) Jul 30, 2010 Oregon

vurt and distantmantra like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.