Washington Beer News (2021)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by BBThunderbolt, Jan 13, 2021.

1. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,093) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

A bit of personal news, as many of you know NW forum regular @NWer, suffered a stroke several months ago. I got an update this morning. He's doing good overall. Still struggling with some of the physical stuff, and doing PT. Mentally he's doing very good, fully cognizant and communicative. I'm sure we'll all raise a glass to his continued progress.

drone, bret27, DefenCorps and 15 others like this.
  2. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,153) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I'm so glad he's doing alright.

DefenCorps, rrock44, woemad and 3 others like this.
  3. vurt

vurt Poo-Bah (1,572) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Thank you for the update! It's great to hear he's making such good progress.

DefenCorps, rrock44, woemad and 2 others like this.
  4. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,066) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Got a text from his wife last night about this as well. Very, very relieved to hear he's doing OK. Hadn't heard anything back in several months and was fearing the worst. If he's up to it, we're going to try to stop by to see him over Thanksgiving.

5. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (4,000) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Glad to hear that. May he continue to get well.

6. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

woemad, rrock44, vurt and 3 others like this.
  7. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

8. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

9. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (4,410) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Looking on that list Chuckanut have a light lager. For some reason i cant load their website right now. I would be very interested in that. Might be able to ask my local to get it in . They get a bunch of Chuckanut stuff. Any info?

gregoryG and BBThunderbolt like this.
  10. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

You talking about Chuck Light: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18879/516427/ ? Their website seems down right now, might be in the process of updating it with the Bham location closing? It's a nice light brew. I'd expect that it should show up in cans at some point. If you're on FB, you could ask on their page if they plan on putting it into distro. The PDX location should be opening soon-ish I think.

PerfectPorter, 66jzmstr and Reidrover like this.
  11. Reidrover

Society

Cheers!

12. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Sources tell me that the Sunnyland neighborhood of Bellingham will be getting another new beer-centric spot. An existing Whatcom County brewery/pizza place will be opening a barrel-aging facility with a tasting room. Sadly, the pizza won't be coming into town. it will be near where the new brewery by the folks from Frelard tamales is going in. Easy walking distance from Wander, Otherlands, Stemma, and K1.

PerfectPorter, woemad, John_M and 3 others like this.
  13. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

By your count, how many breweries would you say there are in Bellingham now? Based on your posts, it seems like every other month another brewery is opening up. I can't keep track of them all at this point.

For such a relatively small city, the number of breweries is nothing short of amazing.

BBThunderbolt and DefenCorps like this.
  14. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I think 13 in the city limits (depending if you count each Kulshan separately), including the 2 new ones coming. We recently lost Chuckanut though. Plus 3 more out in the county.

We still lag behind Bend though, and we lack a larger, Deschutes sized, brewery.

_pat_, PerfectPorter, woemad and 3 others like this.
  15. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Geographically, going roughly South to North, Starting in Fairhaven:

Stones Throw
    Gruff
    Boundary Bay
    Aslan
    Structures
    Wander
    Otherlands
    Twin Sisters
    K1
    Stemma
    K2
    Menace

Coming soon-ish:

Darach
    El Suenito

Out in the county:

Fringe (Ferndale)
    Atwood (Blaine, no tasting room)
    North Fork (Deming)

Gone:

Orchard Street
    Illuminati
    Chuckanut

16. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Oh, and at some point, the Zeeks pizza franchise up here plans to start brewing on the old 122 West/Melvin system.

17. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

A sad bit of news, Bob Maphet, co-founder of Diamond Knot, passed away a few days ago. I know we don't talk much about them here, but they're still among my favorite WA breweries. Cheers Bob!

18. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,224) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Society Trader

I remember working at Madrona Eatery & Ale House in the late 90s when the boss brought in this IPA from a couple of guys who were in Boeing’s homebrew club and decided to go pro. We couldn’t stop drinking it and talking about it. Also one of the first tap handles I remember not being a standard smooth rectangle, with the rope and diamond top piece (a fascination with breweriana that’s stuck with me).

They were a big part of my transition from guy who thought buying the Redhook/ Pyramid/ Widmer seasonal 6pk at the grocery store was being adventurous to scoping out local breweries so small they couldn’t bottle yet and you could only find them on draft.

Haven’t had a Diamond Knot IPA in probably 20 years, but I still remember it as an entrée into the world of breweries so small you could have direct access to the guys mashing in (because they also answered the phones, made deliveries, and poured at the Brewers Night promotions) and who would share anything about their process and specific choices. RIP Bob.

woemad, distantmantra, ch3no2 and 5 others like this.
  19. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Diamond Knot seems like a brewery that's from a different time and place.

My experience with their beer was limited, but when I first started coming up to the NW area, the 74th St. Ale House was a place I always visited in Seattle. They always had these wonderful local beers on draught, some of them cask conditioned. For whatever reason, they almost always had a beer from Diamond Knot on tap or cask. The beers reminded me very much of some of the ales I had in England. Even the IPA's tended to be on the malty side, but were wonderfully drinkable and delicious.

It's probably been all of 20 years or more since I last had an imperial pint of diamond knot over at the Alehouse. Which is a shame.

20. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

woemad, grainbillxs, vurt and 3 others like this.
  21. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Tangentially related to beer, the folks who own Frelard Tamales/El Suenito Brewing have stepped up already here in Bham and are helping folks out during this rough weather we're having. Cut n Pasted from a friends FB page:

"Hey y’all, Frelard Tamales, which hasn’t even opened its Bellingham outpost yet, is already working to make this town a better place. They’re opening a tab at the Black Drop on Tuesday, Nov. 16 that anyone can use to get a 12 oz. drink and a pastry—no questions asked. Maybe spread the word to folks who need to get out of the rain. The tab is not infinite, but I have to imagine it’s pretty generous. They’re also donating two days worth of hot food to the NW Youth Services drop-in center and are looking for ways to similarly support people in north and east Whatcom County. The Frelard folks are the real deal. I can’t wait to support them when they open for business."

They just sold me some beer and tamales.

22. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

And, from DK's FB page:

[​IMG]

PerfectPorter, vurt, sharpski and 2 others like this.
  23. distantmantra

Trader

The people who own Frelard are wonderful human beings. At their location here in Green Lake they offer free meals to anyone no questions asked whenever they’re open. Plus their tamales are absolutely amazing.

woemad, PerfectPorter, vurt and 6 others like this.
  24. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

So, as y'all know, we up here in the Fourth Corner got hit pretty hard by the recent Atmospheric Rivers. Wander is stepping up. From their FB:

"There is a break in the rain, but the storm surge and flood waters have greatly impacted our town and surrounding communities. Today we will be donating 25% of sales (at the Brew Hall and beer to go) to the @whatcomcf Resilience Fund for emergency flood response and assistance. All donations to this fund are being matched dollar for dollar, up to $115,000. Please click the link in our bio to learn more information or to give an individual donation. Our planned November Community Tuesday today, @victimsupportservices has been rescheduled to December 21st. "

25. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

From Stemma's FB:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Bellingham, join us for a cold beer to celebrate the beautiful sunshine today! [​IMG]
    We’re opening our taproom regular hours (11a-10p) but will be without food trucks today, so bring in your own food and snacks.
    Iowa Street is still flooded (but improving by the minute!) so please drive around behind our building on Kentucky, or better yet, take a nice walk or bike ride here.
    Many of our neighbors and friends have significant property damage and will be spending the day cleaning, evaluating damage, and continue waiting for water to recede. We have a generous open gift card available for first responders and guests directly impacted by Whatcom County flooding, tell your bartender and your first beer will be on us - available while the gift card lasts!"

woemad, PerfectPorter and ch3no2 like this.
  26. AlohaStyle

AlohaStyle Initiate (85) May 28, 2010 Washington
    Trader

Wow, thanks for sharing... sounds great to have North Fork in town!

Also just a FYI since you included some county breweries in your list below, don't forget Beach Cat in Blaine, with the great waterfront view.

27. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Shit! I had a nagging thought that I had missed someone. They're cool guys, and I apologize for spacing on them. Thanks for the reminder!

woemad likes this.
  28. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Random question: how many of y'all do 'clubs', and do you think it's worth it? Stemma has one starting, but, it's $300/year. They're capping it 100 members, so that's 30K to the brewery. Here's the details:

https://www.stemmabrewing.com/beerclub

woemad and vurt like this.
  29. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I've belonged to several in the past, but belong to none now. So that probably gives you an idea what I'm going to say.

I know you can do the math every bit as well as I can. You're not getting much of a deal by joining this club unless both Stemma and you subscribe to Grape lotion beer and Schwag pricing. Of course to take advantage of all the club "perks," you need to be stopping by Stemma on a pretty regular basis. Which is the whole point from Stemma's point of view. Hopefully the beer there is something you know is going to be something you really like, and hopefully you're confident they're going to around for a while. At least long enough for you to reap all your club awards and benefits. Hopefully the brewer doesn't decide to pull up stakes and relocate a few months after they've opened.

If you trade a lot and you think club membership might give you access to something comparable to the club reserve beers put out by Dr Garde and Floodland, then I guess that might be a reason to join. Or if you're friends with the owner and want to help him out financially, then I can completely understand wanting to become a club member.

Otherwise, I guess I don't see the point. There's considerable risk and not a huge upside to joining the club, at least that's how it appears to me. Maybe go check them out after they open and stop by periodically if you like their beer?

30. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,224) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Society Trader

This seems like more of a “mug” club than a “exclusive access to rare beers” club, so it boils down to whether you spend enough time at the place to make the $1 off pints and other perks worth $25/month. In a town with 2 or 3 breweries this would make much more sense than Bellingham. I like Stemma and hope they sell this out, but it requires a kind of brand loyalty unlikely to fit Terry’s bon vivant lifestyle.

woemad, jason_nwx, 66jzmstr and 2 others like this.
  31. woemad

Society Trader

I'm only in the mug club at Iron Goat, which just gets me a bigger pour of the same beers (plus a little bit of swag and the occasional party invite at the brewery that the GenPop doesn't get). Once you drink enough to pay off the mug, it's like getting a happy hour that's at all hours and not available to the average punters.

sharpski and BBThunderbolt like this.
  32. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

But, what's the yearly buy-in? If, like in this instance, would one get $300 value from it?

33. woemad

Society Trader

This year it was $75, so it's a real bargain for a regular visitor that lives a 10-15 minute walk away.

34. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

So, I'm sure you know that Chuckanut is leaving Bellingham, and that the P-Nut should be opening soon. I just figured that the landlord would either build some yuppie-assed condos on the Cnut's site, or sell to someone who would, as the City of Bellingham is working on gentrifying that area of town. Very reliable sources tell me though, that a Certain brewery on State St. will be going into Cnuts building. I've no idea if that means they'll be closing the existing spot or not.

Reidrover, vurt and sharpski like this.
  35. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (6,184) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Society Trader

Are you talking about Structures?

Also, I totally slept on the news that Chuckanut is opening a location here in Portland, not gonna lie, that's pretty awesome news for us southern lager drinking denizens.

36. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

CnP from a recent Cnut FB post: "
    Update on P Nut:
    The walls are painted and we are finishing up the final touches!
    P Nut will officially open in December!"

37. Reidrover

Society

I know it is not beer, but i an eating a whole pack of Coro Agrumi an Finocciona salami. They are from Kent WA//great diabetes friendly beer food. their restaurant is called Salumi.
    All from Grocery Outlet cheap.

38. rrock44

rrock44 Devotee (400) Oct 27, 2009 Washington

Meant to post this yesterday, but life…

For those in the Tri-Cities, Kennewick’s Mid Columbia Wine and Spirits has bottles of 2020 Goose Island BCS for $10. I might go back and grab one. I definitely would if they returned to 4 packs. Love how Deschutes did that. Any chance Fremont will?

DefenCorps and BBThunderbolt like this.
  39. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Sooooo... Cynthia and I stopped by the house yesterday for a short visit with Monica and Larry (NWer). Larry is doing better, but is still recovering. However, he's lucid and completely cognitively aware. He broke out a bottle of Holy Mountain 2018 Hand of Glory while we were there, so he obviously hasn't lost any of his skills as a generous host. It was good to see him, and we're planning to stop by again over the Xmas holidays.

@BBThunderbolt (Terry), he talks about you a lot, and appreciates all the posts you've made on his FB page. I don't know what your schedule is like, but I know he'd definitely like to see you if there's any way you can stop over. I think he was pretty happy to see some familiar faces when we stopped by on Friday.

40. distantmantra

Trader

I'm so glad to hear that Larry is doing well all things considered.

66jzmstr likes this.