Washington State Beer News (2019)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by distantmantra, Jan 25, 2019.

1. itracy63

itracy63 Devotee (407) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

Goddamn electricians

beertunes likes this.
  2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,418) Sep 24, 2007 Kyrgyzstan
    Trader

So, these are just unsubstantiated rumors at this point, but, heard again today from a "civilian", but apparently there is a brewery going into Edison. It's already a little foodie/arts enclave, but there's could be a mixed use spot opening up, in an existing building: brewery/coffee roaster-shop/restaurant-cafe.

I would see that as a good fit, I'm just not sure if they would have Muni water, or run off a well. Plus, not sure what the waste water situation would be. Shrug, time will tell.

woemad, NWer, kemoarps and 2 others like this.
  3. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,063) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

That would be fantastic.

kemoarps and beertunes like this.
  4. beertunes

Trader

Agreed.

kemoarps likes this.
  5. beertunes

Trader

woemad, stevesbeer, 66jzmstr and 3 others like this.
  6. distantmantra

Trader

Since the article didn't mention it, Ben Howe was the owner/brewer/everything at Enlightenment Ales in MA.

woemad, beertunes, vurt and 1 other person like this.
  7. Structures

Structures Initiate (31) Nov 22, 2017 Washington

Ben is a good dude. Excited to have him coming to town.

woemad, jpbebeau, ballardbeer and 2 others like this.
  8. beertunes

Trader

Yeah, the article is a bit scattered (but, such is the Hairball), it says that they're going into a new building, but there's a pic if an existing building. Shrug. Herald gonna Herald.

#48 beertunes, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    woemad, Structures and sharpski like this.
  9. beertunes

Trader

Gruff will start doing some limited canning soon (next week, IIRC), gonna can up the closest thing they have to a "Flagship", the 007 IPA first (which is a good seller for them, I drink it with some semi-regularity). Then down the road a bit, some limited or short run stuff. They recently got a couple 15bbl fermenters that will give them this option.

NWer, kemoarps and vurt like this.
  10. beertunes

Trader

As I've mentioned in a couple NWWBAYDN threads, Menace (and The Local tap house) has been sold. I stopped in last week and Ben, the original owner/brewer was working his last bartending shift. He'll be brewing over at Kulshan for a bit, until he sees where life takes him.

Don't really know the new owners, but it doesn't seem like huge changes are on the horizon. Most, if not all, the staff at both Menace and The Local are staying on. Updates as available.

p.s. If you happen to be up here, this batch of Chili Bravo is very nice.

11. beertunes

Trader

woemad, kemoarps and vurt like this.
  12. beertunes

Trader

Just finished up the Matchless/Logsdon collab Precision Guesswork. Was kinda OKish.

kemoarps and vurt like this.
  13. beertunes

Trader

14. beertunes

Trader

kemoarps likes this.
  15. distantmantra

Trader

I’m a big fan of Mirage, so I’ve been following his Instagram posts. All the hip hop culture/etc. references are completely meaningless to me but I’m glad Michael listened to people who do get it and did the right thing.

16. beertunes

Trader

Funny thing, I had never even heard of this brewery until the BeerBlogs post. They don't seem to get discussed here, I don't recall any of my friends talking about them, and then, BOOM!, this. Hows their beers?

And now, after looking at their page here (32 beers listed, 12 NEIPAs), and their website (only thing is a sign-up for their "club"), maybe I don't really care.

#56 beertunes, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
  17. distantmantra

Trader

Mirage makes great hazy IPAs and big format bottles saisons and sours and some of my favorite locally produced lagers and pilsners.

sharpski, 66jzmstr and beertunes like this.
  18. ChugChugPass

ChugChugPass Initiate (67) Jun 16, 2017 Washington
    Trader

Mirage is quite small and I think self distributes to the few bottle shops you'd find their cans in (they sell out quick as well.) So it's not surprising many hadn't heard of them.

Great response from the brewer though; there are tons of people wanting to give the guy a high-five and whine about "outrage culture" but I like how he specifically addressed those people to some extent in his big apology.

Still hard to fathom how he was oblivious to what kind of reaction he'd get from these cans but I do think it was him being oblivious, or at most feeling like being a bit provocative and not thinking it through.

kemoarps, distantmantra and beertunes like this.
  19. distantmantra

Trader

I saw Mirage cans in Bend this past weekend, so someone is helping distribute down there.

He's named a ton of beer after hip hop and black culture references that I'm oblivious to, and I've always got the impression that he thought it was cool/counterculture/funny, which might be just a biiiiit tonedeaf/insensitive, so I'm glad he listened to people who were uncomfortable and did the right thing.

20. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,476) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I ran a search on google, but couldn't find out much about this. Very curious as to what prompted what sounds like a very sincere, profound, heartfelt apology.

Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like he feels he did something particularly egregious and insensitive, that a number of people took very strong exception to. I remember the reaction years ago to some of the Clown Shoe brewing labels and artwork (tramp stamp Belgian IPA comes immediately to mind), but if anything, this sounds like an even stronger reaction.

kemoarps likes this.
  21. distantmantra

Trader

He used label art that appeared to be bandanas in the color of the Bloods and Crips and then named one of the beers Snitch Blood.

kemoarps and John_M like this.
  22. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Devotee (462) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

FWIW, Belmont Station has some Mirage cans listed:

Mirage Body Talk 16oz CAN Washington Ale - IPA - Hazy
    Mirage Final Rose 16oz CAN Washington Ale - IPA - Hazy
    Mirage Pretty Toney 16oz CAN Washington Ale - Pale - Hazy
    Mirage Raon Lutha 25.4oz Washington Ale - Saison/Farmhouse

If you Google image "mirage brewery label" you'll find what prompted it.

23. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Thanks!

kemoarps and jason_nwx like this.
  24. ChugChugPass

Trader

The story hit FoxNews and other major news sites, pretty wild.

That's cool they are getting Oregon distro now; I'm super ignorant about how that works.. just got the impression it was self distro'd but guess I was wrong.

25. distantmantra

Trader

Michael must have a distributor for Oregon, I can't imagine he drives down there and drops the stuff off like he does in Seattle and Tacoma.

26. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I don't watch FoxNews, but I check many other news feeds (online and on TV). The post from @beertunes was the first I heard about this, and given the tone of the apology, my initial reaction was along the lines of "just what in the hell did you do to warrant this kind of response?"

kemoarps and beertunes like this.
  27. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,154) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

I believe it was a single drop via Day One or other rather than continuous distribution, but not 100% sure.

28. ChugChugPass

Trader

I can tell you are just itching to say something more here.

John_M and distantmantra like this.
  29. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Would have depended on what took place, but not really. I've been reading over some of the heated, emotional and sometimes nasty commentary over in the diversity thread (in the beer news forum), and am not the least bit interested in starting something similar here.

Frankly, I concur with Mr. Dempsey's response and decision to pull the beer, and had pretty much the same reaction he and some of his associates had (as in, "what in the world were you thinking?"). I don't know anything about Mr. Dempsey, but was pretty impressed by his self analysis and decision to shoulder responsibility for what sounds like a potentially very bad decision. I look forward to trying some of his beer.

woemad, kemoarps, sharpski and 4 others like this.
  30. distantmantra

Trader

That diversity thread is an absolute dumpster fire, some people are so stuck in their little bubble that they're incapable of realizing that not everyone has the same experiences. Empathy is an important trait that many are lacking.

It's also a damn shame that no one responded to the link Terry posted about the Mirage situation.

31. beertunes

Trader

32. Raj

Raj Aspirant (291) Jun 25, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

IMHO, I don’t think the sense that that the Mirage guy was really sorry, more just sorry that he got called out. The labels weren’t just a “dumb” idea, they were racist (or at least racially insensitive), and a particularly crass example of the cultural appropriation rampant in the beer world anyway.

beertunes likes this.
  33. rrock44

rrock44 Disciple (339) Oct 27, 2009 Washington

34. beertunes

Trader

35. NWer

NWer Crusader (783) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

with 3-way hitting general distribution soon and Rusty on the 15th, I see a budget crunch coming. Hey! Don't they know I'm retired on fixed income?

#75 NWer, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  36. beertunes

Trader

Yes, yes they do, and those evil breweries want all of it!

37. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I feel your pain Larry.

For some reason, it seems like Rusty season sneaks up on me every year. Had completely forgotten it was "that time of year" again. Hopefully it's as easy to find and obtain this year as last year.

38. beertunes

Trader

39. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (4,698) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

Thanks for the heads-up, @NWer !
    I'm going to have to track a bottle down. The Las batch was quite delicious.

NWer and vurt like this.
  40. distantmantra

Trader

kemoarps, vurt, 66jzmstr and 3 others like this.