Water quality testing?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by PeprSprYoFace, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeprSprYoFace

PeprSprYoFace Savant (938) Feb 18, 2008 California
    Trader

I remember a forum that was stared in the old fourms prob about a year or 2 ago about a company that will test your water for you an tell you the hardness and minerals you have in there do you can make adjustments and it was only like $16 for them to do it. Anyone remember what it is. I would like to get my water tested so I can start adjusting according to style. Thanks

2. billandsuz

billandsuz Devotee (448) Sep 1, 2004 New York

ward labs. the "home brewers test kit" seems appropriate.
    Cheers.

3. nathanjohnson

nathanjohnson Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2007 Vermont

From your water district:

http://www.smwd.com/news/reports.html

Open the PDF called "2011 Water Quality Report".

Looks like it has most if not all the minerals needed; sulfate, sodium, hardness, alkalinity, calcium.

4. PeprSprYoFace

PeprSprYoFace Savant (938) Feb 18, 2008 California
    Trader

I saw the report but if you look there are large tested ranges asn in the sulfate is 160-240. almost 100 ppm difference. I want to just get where im at tested.

5. billandsuz

billandsuz Devotee (448) Sep 1, 2004 New York

i took a quick look at your districts water report. wow. the district is serving a huge area, and more importantly is withdrawing water from multiple sources. it is the multiple withdrawal points that cause a large range in reported data. it is not uncommon for there to be variables in water quality from day to day, even from the same source. you have some small groundwater withdrawal, surface water and recycled water, all of which can be very different at the point of treatment. (the exact same sample submitted to the same lab back to back is going to have a some variation. as long as they are within an accepted variance for the parameter being tested it is normal. so 80% to 120% of the true value is considered acceptable for some compounds.)

the thing to keep in mind is that if you submit a sample to a private lab you will only get data on the water from your spigot at that time. without reading the districts whole report it is difficult to say if the district supplies you with water from the same source all the time, some of the time, etc.

you should consider trying to get to an engineer at the district to ask questions. you have a very specific question, and a sympathetic engineer will probably have a good answer or at least some sound advice. would not be suprised if there are some beer nerds at the water works. they don't have to answer you specifically, that is what the report is for. but it would be nice to know that if you live in community X there is is a detailed analysis for your service.
    Cheers.

6. radiantdesigner

radiantdesigner Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2012 New Hampshire

Most well companies will also test your water as well, just ask what they test for and they will tell you, Im sure you can specify what you want tested and it will influence the price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.