Waterbury/Montpelier trip: Taxi services

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by polloenfuego, Jan 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polloenfuego

polloenfuego Jan 26, 2013 Canada (NB)
    Society Trader

Okay, me and a buddy are planning a trip to Waterbury and Montpelier in the coming months, and we will be staying in Waterbury.

Being the responsible adults we are, we are curious about the area's transportation services that can get us around so that we are not drinking and driving.

Is anyone familiar with the cab companies in the area and their reputations and rates?

Is it even reasonable to take a cab between Waterbury and Montpelier?

What about just locally in Waterbury?

Thanks for any advice and help you can provide, it is appreciated.

Cheers!

2. huuvola

huuvola Oct 29, 2005 Massachusetts

3. zstef99

zstef99 Dec 25, 2008 New York

Not a direct answer to your question, but I will point out that The Reservoir, Blackback Pub, Pro Pig, and The Old Stagecoach Inn are all within stumbling distance of one another.

Jwale73, volta and youbrewidrink like this.
  4. vtcraft

vtcraft Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

If you are there on a weekday you could take the bus, CCTA Montpelier Link

Jwale73 likes this.
  5. polloenfuego

Society Trader

Yes, I have been before...all very convenient! My hotel is less than 2 miles, and in a pinch we could walk.

I guess the best bet for Montpelier is to drive down in the afternoon and stay reasonably safe with the beverages...only a couple before heading back.

6. cookiequiz

cookiequiz Apr 15, 2013 California

And it sounds obvious---but eat something too. Which you should have no trouble doing at Blackback.

7. rocksteady726

rocksteady726 Jul 17, 2007 Massachusetts

Just a heads up, about two years ago I was staying on the outskirts of waterbury and called a taxi from stowe to pick me up and bring me to downtown waterbury for a night out. They were hesitant, and were going to charge milage from their base, to your location, in addition to your location to destination. All this to say, it just works a bit differently than a city taxi up there.

8. ChrisMyhre

ChrisMyhre Sep 15, 2013 Massachusetts

Is it the Best Western? That actually isn't too bad a walk at all if so.

MachIPA, blckout20 and polloenfuego like this.
  9. polloenfuego

Society Trader

Yeah it is...stumbling distance actually. Just know there aren't sidewalks a lot of the way, and just want to be as safe as possible.

We will drive into Montpelier Saturday morning and comeback after lunch (hopefully) at the Three Penny. Probably do a visit to a store or two in Montpelier to get us some stock for back home.

Then Saturday evening in Waterbury...walk into town, walk back to the motel.

10. BigStein88

BigStein88 Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire
    Trader

Actually, there are sidewalks most of the way between Best Western and Downtown. The only real difficult part is the hill coming down from Best Western. Once you cross the street and the bridge the sidewalk starts. A good idea to bring a small flashlight or headlamp...

ChrisMyhre, JakerLou and polloenfuego like this.
  11. jbart

jbart Oct 2, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Agreed. I have done the walk from Best Western and back many times. It's no big deal. Only issue is if it happens to be icy on that hill down from the hotel.

12. jbart

Society

OP: You know the back roads route, right? Don't walk along 100.

13. polloenfuego

Society Trader

Yeah...down the hill...and straight along Stowe Street correct?

14. jbart

Society

Yes. I only clarified because I didn't know that way the first time I stayed there. :slight_smile:

15. polloenfuego

Society Trader

Thanks folks for all the help...I appreciate it. Looks like foot in Waterbury and Driving into Montpelier (with only a pint or two at the most) myself. I forgot how short the walk in Waterbury was, I just hope the snow and ice are gone by the time we hit there (April is most likely).

Cheers to you all,

Pete

16. BigStein88

BigStein88 Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire
    Trader

I am sure you will be just fine and will have a blast. For me, the walk down is always filled with great anticipation and is literally all downhill so goes super quick. The walk back, I have had my fill and am feeling just fine and the walk is again super quick! Headed up next Saturday myself and am finally going to take my own advice and bring a headlamp. Never any problems without it but it sure can't hurt.

Cheers!

polloenfuego likes this.
  17. Flashy

Flashy Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

I am really surprised (it is Vermont though) that someone hasn't started some kind of local beer taxi in Waterbury. Seems like a gold mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.