Wax Wings Brewing (2022)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by KevinJohnson2, Sep 16, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevinJohnson2

KevinJohnson2 Zealot (514) Jul 8, 2013 Michigan
    Society Trader

Hey, beer friends. I think it's time that Wax Wings has their own thread in the Midwest forum. Who's with me?!?

For me, Wax Wings is turning out the most consistently fantastic beers in Michigan right now. I opened Bere:1 at a share in Sweden last week and the collective wowwww from the group was great to see.

Keep it up, WW! Cheers!

mactrail, REVZEB, audis4gasm and 7 others like this.
  2. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Meyvn (1,424) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

Wax Wings is doing amazing things, and will be better recognized once they are distributed. Until then they may remain a SW Michigan secret.

3. davidtarnow

davidtarnow Initiate (126) Mar 19, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Best beer in Michigan hands down.

4. flat_lander

flat_lander Meyvn (1,009) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

That's pretty cool. Yeah, Bere:1 is spectacular. I'm going to open a Run Out the Buffaloes with my friends on Sunday. I'm excited to try it.

5. KevinJohnson2

Society Trader

Nice. I haven’t opened that one yet so would love to hear what you think. Reviews have been stellar.

6. TurkeysDrinkBeer

TurkeysDrinkBeer Initiate (176) Sep 8, 2018 Virginia
    Trader

[​IMG]

So this was my introduction to Wax Wings and it was a very nice first impression. Delicious barleywine for sure. Also had Shaking The Rafters from the same release. I was not quite as impressed with that one. I believe the adjuncts muted the barrel too much and it drank rather sweet. Avid pastry hater so that one was probably doomed to fail from the beginning with me. Sitting on a bottle of the Single Barrel Heights that I'm really looking forward to trying in the very near future. I think this brewery has a bright future.

7. TurkeysDrinkBeer

Trader

Upcoming BA bottles for those interested:

Double Barrel Rye Heights | Barrel Aged Stout | 14.5% | 500ml | $33 | 4pp
    -Double mash stouts aged 12-16 months in rye whiskey barrels, then blended to taste and aged an additional half year in Willett Family Estate 8 Year Rye Whiskey casks

Eventyde | Blended Barrel Aged Stout | 13% | 500ml | $25 | 4pp
    -Blend of contemporary double mash stout and old world stout aged in Heaven Hill bourbon barrels, then conditioned on Mexican Vanilla Beans.

Double Barrel Prison Of Maple | Barrel Aged Old Ale |14.5% | 500ml | 3pp
    -Old Ale aged for over a year in Willett Family Estate 6 Year Bourbon Barrels, then transferred to bourbon maple barrels for an additional half year of aging.

I believe the top two are already available for order to members and the DB Prison will be an in-person release at the Octoberfest event on October 8th.

mactrail, ChicagoJ, BigIronH and 3 others like this.
  8. KevinJohnson2

Society Trader

All three are available for members to order right now. Any leftovers will be sold onsite at the event on October 8th. All three sound fantastic but really, really pumped for DB Rye Heights.

9. TurkeysDrinkBeer

Trader

Thanks for clarifying, I was not aware of that. With you on that DB Heights though, stoked to see how well it turned out.

BigIronH and KevinJohnson2 like this.
  10. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,926) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

I had a couple Condor Valley sours I got in an FB trade I did a while back. Loved them. I would really like to try more of their stuff but they’re like three hours out from where I live. From everything I’ve read, they are a shining star absolutely. Just not accessible for me at the moment. Cheers.

ChicagoJ and TurkeysDrinkBeer like this.
  11. galos11

galos11 Zealot (545) Jan 21, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Just had my first from WW. Bere 1 is perfection in a glass.
    [​IMG]

12. KevinJohnson2

Society Trader

You definitely picked a good one to begin your WW journey with! Cheers!

13. KevinJohnson2

Society Trader

[​IMG]

I’m usually a juicy IPA guy but have a soft spot in my heart for an old school west coast IPA. This is a great representation of the style.

Cheers!

14. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (6,559) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

...and just like that, Wax Wings showed up on the shelves of my favorite liquor store in Chicago (Bottles & Cans).

Two IPA's, unfortunately, as I'd like to try at least one other style but beggars can't be choosers. The Pursuit and Double NNazareth (yes, the spell it with two N's).

Based on "the 'gram", The Pursuit was released in July and Double NNazareth had releases in July AND August. Unhelpfully, there are not dates on the cans.

Can't wait to try 'em!

15. KevinJohnson2

Society Trader

[​IMG]

So Marzen is definitely not my favorite style but this is really well done. Cheers!

16. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (12,154) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

Our local bar got some waxwing in, this thread has inspired me to go try it!

17. langmick

langmick Initiate (140) Sep 29, 2007 Michigan

Vine and Brew in Okemos gets a shipment in frequently, and it quickly disappears.

KevinJohnson2 and BigIronH like this.
  18. TurkeysDrinkBeer

Trader

19. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Poo-Bah (4,590) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

looking forward to trying my first wax wings soon! cheers!

20. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

can we all agree that we need to come up with a new abbreviation for them too? WW is already taken (WeldWerks, rightfully so). maybe WxW, although that makes it seem like Wax by Wings lol. it’s just a little confusing on the trade forums, or anywhere but here, to see WW and not think WeldWerks..

KevSal, MattOC and TurkeysDrinkBeer like this.
  21. TurkeysDrinkBeer

Trader

Looking forward to this one myself! Should have two bottles hitting the porch this week! Big fan of Cognac aged brews and barleywines so I think this is gonna be another winner from these guys.

MattOC and Luscious_Malfoy like this.
  22. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

i have been really enjoying other spirits beside bourbon and rye for aging imperial stouts and barleywines lately so this is right up my alley too. i’ve also heard nothing but good things about wax wings so very excited to try!

MattOC and TurkeysDrinkBeer like this.
  23. TurkeysDrinkBeer

Trader

So far I've been able to try 3 different offerings with those being Single Barrel Heights, Bere:1 and Shakin The Rafters. Two out of three were absolutely fantastic so I have high hopes for this Cognac and a couple others I have been able to scoop up.

24. MattOC

MattOC Crusader (701) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Impressive introduction to them for me as well. I’ve had Bere : 1, Shakin the Rafters, Bere : 2, and I have some Prison of Cognac coming.

25. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

nice! i’ve definitely got my eyes peeled for more in the future.

KevSal likes this.
  26. MattOC

Trader

They have a good system. I like the unannounced releases. That way I can’t be too mad when I one. I’ve gotten lucky sometimes and missed out others. Plus, I like that they take care of locals by not allowing proxies for all the online releases.

27. Sammonsd

Sammonsd Initiate (75) Aug 13, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Those damn proxies ruin everything. Except when they don’t.

28. MattOC

Trader

Birthday Bere : 2 for my buddy’s 40th. His first Wax Wings. Left him a DB Prison of Cognac.

[​IMG]

29. Sparty93

Sparty93 Initiate (50) Aug 29, 2013 Michigan

Wax Wings makes awesome beers and they're one of my go-to breweries to share when I travel to visit friends not in SW MI. I just wish their real-life presence lived up a little bit more to the quality of their products. Their physical taproom is...lackluster and honestly doesn't offer anything to encourage customers to stay for more than a drink or two before moving on. I think they're really missing out on their merch selection too. They have some great logos, but the merch is mostly just plain block lettering with minimal art. Seems like it would be such an easy win to slap the condor or other artwork onto a shirt/hat and get a bunch of free advertising when all of us beer nerds were wearing super cool shirts. Again, I love their beer. I just wish they had a marketing person to help them out a bit.

30. audis4gasm

audis4gasm Initiate (43) Oct 19, 2017 Illinois

Wholeheartedly agree, those things seem so intuitive when you visit a brewery, but there's so much that goes into it! It's a tricky landscape to navigate for small breweries. You're not only in charge of brewing, but hiring, planning, marketing, social media, merch, accounting and all other aspects of business. They're still relatively new, I'm sure they'll figure it out sooner or later, especially as they continue to get more recognition on the national level.

31. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

BA Imperial Coffee Stout available for pre-order.

Coffee Heights / 14% ABV / limit 4 pp

SWChi, MattOC and TurkeysDrinkBeer like this.
  32. TurkeysDrinkBeer

Trader

33. MattOC

Trader

Watched the Heights Coffee come and go yesterday. I had plenty of opportunity to buy, I just passed this time. Won’t surprise me if they do the coffee addition well.

After passing I was somewhat kicking myself so I opened this:

Double Barrel Prison of Cognac. Another winner from WW for me.

[​IMG]

#33 MattOC, Dec 13, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
  34. MattOC

Trader

DB Prison of Mezcal

KevSal and Luscious_Malfoy like this.
  35. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

mezcal is similar to tequila, no?

36. MattOC

Trader

Not super versed in spirits, but yes. I guess tequila is a type of mezcal. Using Food and Wine’s base explanation, all tequila is mezcal, but not all mezcal is tequila. Comes down to how it’s produced.

https://www.foodandwine.com/cocktails-spirits/differences-between-tequila-mezcal

I always thought it was the smokiness, which is why I’ve always enjoyed mezcal vs tequila. Again, I’m a novice in the spirit world.

37. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

[​IMG]

still haven’t tried anything from wax wings but i’m also still getting shipment of wax wings. perhaps i’ll have to crack something of theirs for NYE :thinking_face:

cheers!!

38. flat_lander

Society Trader

Anyone else's DB Rye Heights pretty much near still?

Luscious_Malfoy likes this.
  39. galos11

galos11 Zealot (545) Jan 21, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

The bottle I had was not still.

40. flat_lander

Society Trader

Bummer :confused:. Mine was basically flat. Little to no sound when I popped the cap too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.