Waxing my cellar. Worth the time? personal reviews?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by MCImes, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MCImes

MCImes Disciple (353) Dec 31, 2010 Connecticut

Hello,
    I have a decent cellar going (about 6 cases) going back to 2006. Recently, I drank a bigfoot 2006 and a Woodcut #3 from my cellar, both had noticeable oxidation. This is bad. Obviously. not enough to ruin the beer, but enough to take away from its goodness. I saw the self dipping thread near the bottom of the page and see other people are waxing their commercial bottles.

My question is to someone who has done this: have you ever experimented by dipping some bottles and leaving some from the same batch undipped, then done a side by side to compare for oxidation? I assume this would work fine, but does anyone have a personal review of its efficacy? Is it worth the time to dip my stash that I know I will have for a few years?

Thanks

2. therobot

therobot Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2010 Minnesota

Great question, I have the same one.

3. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2008 California

I did it with one pair of bottles, but it's not a broad experiment.

Stuff that has been sitting unwaxed for a few years probably already has let a fair amount of oxygen in. Waxing it will prevent more oxygen ingress, but if the bottles you drank are representative, they'll all be oxidized.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.