Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

'We refuse to tell you our draft list over the phone'

Discussion in 'New England' started by BleepBloopBlap, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magpiemarie

magpiemarie Dec 30, 2009 Massachusetts

Hello,

That is bad for business. I once called brew pub in Haverhill on Sunday and requests some growlers for family get together---they lady texted me when they were ready and had a few samples ready for me when I got there....
    good service, clean bar, and good people always get me business...if not one and done.

2. BleepBloopBlap

BleepBloopBlap Aug 19, 2011 Massachusetts

Because I like to be smart/efficient about how I spend said money? Don't really get your point.

RMoeNay likes this.
  3. seplo

seplo Sep 8, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Couldn't agree with you more man. Im not going to a bar with a possible inferior tap list just to see what they have on tap, especially if it's out of the way. Here in CT were lucky enough to have most craft beer bars post every day or tell us over the phone....CHEERS

smutty33 and BleepBloopBlap like this.
  4. neophilus

neophilus Apr 4, 2009 Massachusetts

There's too many good craft beer bars with online tap lists for me to roll the dice and drive to a restaurant where I don't know whats on tap.

5thOhio and smutty33 like this.
  5. fearfactory

fearfactory Aug 12, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Your pint of Flower Power was probably about $6. My last sixer of it was $9.99. It ain't really about money is all I'm sayin. And no way am I calling anyone a dick for this either. I'm struggling here with the phone call concept as one who's never called a bar in 29 years of imbibing, other than to find out where my damn wife is!

6. jamvt

jamvt Aug 5, 2005 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Did he at any mention Flower Power, or is this just your soapbox to announce that you know where to get FP 6'ers for $9.99 and have no intention of telling anyone? Rapid Liquors in Stoneham.

7. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Jul 16, 2005 Connecticut

I would not want employees having to read off the draft list for everyone that calls.

8. pjs234

pjs234 Jun 29, 2008 Connecticut

Right, so instead you’d keep a tap list online that is updated at least daily, correct? If more bars/restaurants would do this, then the need for a call would not be there. Just seems to me that if you are going to hang yourself out there as a place that specializes in craft beer, than you should be willing to (and wanting to) advertise what you have available. I mean, isn’t that how you attract business? (note to gpcollen1 - not directing this at you, just feeding off your statement)

9. fearfactory

Beer Trader

Last line in OP.
    DeBuccas in Raynham.

10. fearfactory

Beer Trader

This works great if your a big craft bar with an impressive list to show off. Small bars with 6-8 taps are immediately at a disadvantage doing this, more akin to advertising what you don't have. Just saying I would not hold this against them for not putting a list out there. And as the OP said, "a few serious stand-outs from time to time" would keep me coming back, regardless of a list or not. Small bars need love too!

11. emannths

emannths Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Ah yes, because nothing says "repeat business" more than "disappointed customer." ;) Though many places do take this short-sighted approach.

Gosox8787 and pjs234 like this.
  12. 5thOhio

5thOhio May 13, 2007 South Carolina

How long would it take to read 6-8 tap offerings? Or politely say, "We're kinda busy now, can you call back in a few?"

I agree with the OP; if bar A is a 10+ minute or more drive from bar B, I'm not going to drive to A to check the tap list first. They're going to lose my business from the get-go.

BleepBloopBlap likes this.
  13. willbm3

willbm3 Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

By this logic why would anyone ever go to a small bar? Why not just go to the big bar every time? If anything, small bars can more easily keep a well curated tap list of 6-8 beers than a bar with 100+ taps

14. rawlus

rawlus Sep 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

its the hospitality industry - outstanding customer service is implied, otherwise, wtf are you doing besides "not selling" beer?

15. BleepBloopBlap

YES YES YES

16. mmcgrath

mmcgrath Mar 3, 2003 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

Op, have you emailed this thread to management yet?

17. BleepBloopBlap

I'm guessing you're joking, but no. I say let them learn from their mistakes.

FYI to everyone this is more a restaurant with a bar/usually solid taps, NOT a beer bar. Each time I've been in, it's far from crowded. Not sure why they'd turn away business, but that's just me.

beerme411 likes this.
  18. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Jul 16, 2005 Connecticut

30 Draft lines and what if it is at dinner time. I mean really???

I guess I have never freaked out about what was ON TAP when going to a place I new was GOOD...

19. 5thOhio

5thOhio May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Guess you didn't read my post: "...Or politely say, 'We're kinda busy now, can you call back in a few?' "

And, if I'm not mistaken, the OP was referring to a place with 6-8 taps, not 30.

BleepBloopBlap likes this.
  20. jbertsch

jbertsch Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

Nah, there's a restaurant near me that has only 4 taps, but they're well curated and change frequently. They post a picture of their tap menu online and and update itnregularly. I check it often and love it there. Large tap lists often end up being not as impressive as you would think once you see they're often focused on quantity, not quality.

FrankLloydMike likes this.
  21. rawlus

Subscriber

How Long could it possible take to tweet a phone pic of your tap handles? I don't buy the "too busy" line or the "they change too often" line. It's 2013.

22. Giantspace

Giantspace Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

There is a bar around me that has the same policy. I used to be a semi regular but money has mostly kept me from bars for a bit. Some days the taps are great and other times I cant find one beer I am interested in. They will not post online or tell you if you call. I have almost stopped going in the last year(unless in the area) but when I think about going I do not as I want to have some idea of what is available before going.

I talked to a few of the guys there, all with some interest in the place and they say they want you to keep coming back to see whats on tap. I was told they do not care about the web and the locals will keep the place full. Every other place near them is online.

They also will not post the price of beer on the menu or glass size. I find it to be annoying for me and my server to ask how much and what size glass will I get. When I went frequently I had money and it was not a big issue. Now I want a pint for $5-6 not a 10oz pour for $8.

Pretty sure they will survive but I wonder how much they are losing. There have been nights I was there with only 5-6 people there. Maybe online menus could help them out.

Philly tap finder is a great resource for me when deciding where to go spend my money.

Enjoy

23. rawlus

Subscriber

hearing these stories, i wonder what decade we are in sometimes. i too dont get how an establishment built on the premise of providing service to customers can smugly ignore the customers it is trying to attract. businesses that behave this way should not be patronized and deserve to go out of business IMHO. i dont make a personal practice out of visiting establishments and patronizing their business out of some sense of obligation or guilt.

24. ElGallo

ElGallo Sep 26, 2009 New Hampshire

Speaking of real time, this is my favorite: http://sdtaproom.com/beer.html

Wish this place existed when I lived in San Diego, but that was many moons ago :(

25. audioserf

audioserf Sep 3, 2010 Connecticut

This exactly. An Instagram pic or two when you change tap handles, link your Instagram to your Twitter, your Twitter to your Facebook and boom - any intelligent person suddenly has the means to find out what you have on.

mschofield likes this.
  26. mschofield

mschofield Oct 16, 2002 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

the person who said that was probably too busy tweeting out every aspect of their life

I'm not expecting lists to be kept up to the minute, but there is no reason a bar couldn't update their site or twitter or facebook once a day with an up to date list. Sure there are a lot of excuses why it couldn't happen, but no reason why this can't be done it takes two minutes.

smutty33 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe