Wedding beer: Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by savagewhisky, Sep 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savagewhisky

savagewhisky Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2007 Virginia

Over the weekend I put a deposit down on the keg (Dogfish Head's Indian Brown Ale) I wanted for my small wedding BBQ--we are only getting one and I'd love to hear what you guys think. Do you think this is a beer that a lot of people will like? Do you think it will pair well with burgers and other barbeque fare? I could drink it all day with any food, but that's me.

Originally I thought a pumpkin ale might be nice, but my fiance (though not a beer drinker he is a very practical man) thought pumpkin would be risky because a lot of people might dislike it.

More info: we'll have plenty of wine and booze on hand as well as cases of miller light or some other light option.

Greywulfken likes this.
  2. bobachicken

bobachicken Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2013 Texas

I love brown ale myself and something I think pairs well. But, The style does seem to fill a more niche crowd. Anyhow, It sounds like you already have adequate accommodations for your guests. So I think you should just treat yourself to it if you really like it. It's your wedding after all.

Other suggestions would be something lighter such as a kolsch, pils or blonde ale. These styles are very popular in the Texas region and would also pair well.

Greywulfken likes this.
  3. imbibehour

imbibehour Poo-Bah (6,200) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Supporter Subscriber

I really like the beer, so I might have bias, but I can easily see it working well with BBQ, even better for kind of stewing braising meats and so forth. I was recently at the DFH bar in Rehoboth and had their French onion soup with Indian Brown Ale and it was delicious.

Perhaps if the BBQ isn't overly sweet, or overly vinegar (BBQ is a big broad world) then there might be something better but honestly that's really pulling hairs, but hey I am like that with good food and drink.

I think you'll do fine, and like you said you have other offerings. Enjoy your wedding! Sam's beers were at mine too 8 years ago.

Greywulfken likes this.
  4. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (3,950) Sep 17, 2005 Maine
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

It sounds like you have enough options.
    It's your wedding, so drink what you will enjoy (my wife and I had Allagash Curieux at our wedding, also with other options).
    Mazel tov!

Greywulfken likes this.
  5. savagewhisky

Thanks for the input everyone! It sounds like I chose well, and as you've all said, it's my wedding and I love this beer!

Greywulfken likes this.
  6. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (3,142) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Awesomeness.

7. GatorLCA

GatorLCA Aspirant (290) Dec 29, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

We had CCB Jai Alai and Bells Octoberfest for our wedding last year. The Octoberfest was perfect for me cause of the lower alcohol so I was able to drink all night w/o getting too gone.

8. savagewhisky

Thanks again everyone--it was super fantastic awesome! Everyone loved the beer. We did just go with one keg and since we had all that wine and booze and DFH was higher in alcohol, I think we only managed to drink about half the keg. It's okay, I had 2-3 glasses every night until the following weekend when we had a house party. It was pretty flat by then, but nobody seemed to mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.