Wedding Beer Help

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by WiscoNYC, Jun 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WiscoNYC

WiscoNYC Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2012 New York

So I'm providing the beer for my wedding next weekend. My plan is an IPA, a wheat beer, and something more appealing to the macro drinkers like a pilsner or lager.

For IPAs, I loaded up today at Other Half and will have cans of Equinox and Green Diamonds.

For the wheat, I'm planning to get Allagash White.

I'm struggling with the pilsner/lager. Any recommendations? I usually go for pilsners on the hoppier side like Victory Prima Pils, but I think I should find something less hoppy to have something appealing to those that don't like hoppy beers.

So, thoughts? Thanks!

SCW likes this.
  2. SCW

SCW Poo-Bah (1,692) Jul 25, 2004 New York
    Premium Industry

support a fellow Badger in NYC ;-)

[​IMG]

do_ob, Phigg1102, SammyJaxxxx and 4 others like this.
  3. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (1,608) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I say provide the cheap stuff the majority probably clamors, regardless. Save the good beer for the honeymoon.

4. StartedwithSAM

StartedwithSAM Devotee (419) Feb 17, 2015 Virginia
    Premium

This just ooooozed with wisdom, lol.

crob3888 likes this.
  5. darkandhoppy

darkandhoppy Aspirant (255) Dec 26, 2008 Connecticut

Prima Pils is good! Crisp would be good too. If you can't get those, go with Koutska 12 :wink: I had some last weekend and it was delicious!

TonyLema1 and rabbitguy like this.
  6. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (1,697) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

Sierra Nevada Nooner.

TonyLema1 and StrappingYoungLad like this.
  7. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,348) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

Is it worth spending the extra money if it won't be appreciated. I'd put a few craft beers on tap then something cheap. Put keystone light on with a coors tap handle no one will ever know.

8. ArsMoriendiOU818

ArsMoriendiOU818 Zealot (535) Nov 5, 2013 Idaho

Can't go wrong with Pilsner Urquell.

9. T-34-85

T-34-85 Defender (611) Nov 7, 2013 New York

Not sure exactly where you are in NY State, but here are some lower hop content options:
    - Good Nature Blonde Ale would be a good light ale to compliment your selections (bombers or a keg).
    - Another option would be a california commons like Caz Commons by Henneberg Brewing (growlers or a keg).
    - I haven't had this, but have heard good things about the Ball Lightning Pilsner from Catskill Brewing (serving form unknown).
    - Brooklyn Summer Ale would be light and clean (bottles).
    - Saranac's Adirondack Lager would be a lighter lager that's reasonably low cost but still a respectable craft option (bottles).

I know you were looking at Allagash White, but other wheat options would be Butternut Farms Brewery's Heinneweisse (Hefe-type) in cans, or Southern Tier's Hop Sun Wheat (bottles).

PatrickCT likes this.
  10. tjwarren

tjwarren Disciple (323) Dec 31, 2008 Ohio

If you want to appeal to the masses then BMC is the way to go but if that offends you or you just want them to try better beer I have a suggestion - Anchor Steam. For an ale - Fat Tire

11. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Initiate (137) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois

If they're macro drinkers, then just provide a macro and make them happy. I'm sure they're not going to be thrilled about figuring out which of these beers they've never heard of is closest to what they usually drink. It's not a big thing, but I've always thought that weddings go best when there's something for everyone. You've got the craft folks covered, what's the harm in throwing a bone to the BMC crowd?

westlaunboy likes this.
  12. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

You can count on a bunch of angry well dressed people if you serve nothing but craft. Just get Bud regular and Miller Lite or maybe even some Stella

TurkeyFeathers likes this.
  13. Beerds

Beerds Initiate (0) May 13, 2015 Alabama

Get the BMC for the masses and have a special stash for yourself and your closet beer appreciating buddies

14. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (2,164) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Premium Trader

Fat Tire. The folks around here lose their minds for the stuff, even folks who swear by their BMC.

BWM-77 likes this.
  15. PJ_

PJ_ Initiate (164) Nov 13, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Scratch the White and Lager/Pils to get BMC. Use the rest of the budget from those two to get more volume of IPA or a nice APA. That way you keep both sides happy.

16. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (803) Dec 3, 2014 California
    Trader

I had Fat Tire, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Gordon Biersch Pilsner, Gordon Biersch Marzen and Coors at my wedding. The venue had to get everything through their distributor, so my hands were tied from getting much more than that. My advice is try to have good stuff that'll keep people happy, but don't overthink it because you'll have the rest of your life to fuss over beer. Just saying.

17. TheBrewViking

TheBrewViking Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2010 Alaska

MGD is the champagne of beers... And good for keg stands

18. Bonsall_Phil

Bonsall_Phil Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2014 California

I just served Lagunitas Pils to my family at a graduation party and it was a total hit.

StrappingYoungLad and rabbitguy like this.
  19. imbrue002

imbrue002 Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2014 Maryland

If it was me, and I was trying to appeal to everyone, I'd serve a nice saison like Dupont or whatever.
    But to answer your question - Jack's Abby Hoponius Union.

darkandhoppy likes this.
  20. rabbitguy

rabbitguy Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2009 Illinois

Three have been mentioned The Crisp, Prima Pils, and Pilsner Urquell. All good choices. Others have mentioned the BMC lineup for the masses. Your IPA and wheat choices are good.

21. OrangeMen

OrangeMen Disciple (310) Jan 26, 2014 New York

Honestly, i would never consider serving good beer at a wedding. 95% of the people there dont care...and wont care. You want to spend a little extra on the wedding, there are plenty better areas to sink those dollars

22. darkandhoppy

haha! awesome

23. rabbitguy

You are correct sir, but 95 % might be a little high. You want to take care of your family and friends with the good stuff.

24. MUTINY

MUTINY Meyvn (1,050) Feb 6, 2015 Virginia

Miller Lite, baby!

25. OrangeMen

OrangeMen Disciple (310) Jan 26, 2014 New York

For sure, if i could go back and do my wedding over again i would have mixed in a few great beers with the groomsmen or my uncles.

26. darkandhoppy

what do YOU want to drink? I would 100% buy beer you want to drink. I did. Noone went home thirsty. When else will you be able to splurge and do it for you!

27. Ballard7003

Ballard7003 Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2013 Georgia

I did Yuengling for the people at my wedding that didn't drink much craft. I saved all the IPAs and stouts for people that would enjoy them. The Chocolate Rain was for me haha.

skiking70 likes this.
  28. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 California

I'd go with Anchor Steam.

rabbitguy and darkandhoppy like this.
  29. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,635) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

A simple kegger of Yuengling would work for anybody, ever beer geeks. It's a wedding not a beer tasting, bring some special stuff for those who could appreciate the difference. You could even throw in a case on SNPA on the side as well. Would be simple, appeal to most everyone, and cost effective.

30. darkandhoppy

I went with Anchor Liberty for mine.

LaneMeyer and rabbitguy like this.
  31. CMiesen

CMiesen Initiate (66) Apr 25, 2015 California

Went to a wedding last night they had SNPA and Coors light the SNPA was gone before the water. It all depends on the crowd but with your other two choices already I say go cheap macro and be done with it.

32. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Initiate (0) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

No Stout or Porter? Or anything else dark. Sierra Nevada Porter and/or Stout and Founders Porter.

DarthVorador likes this.
  33. inchrisin

inchrisin Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

Reds are a crowd pleaser.
    Hefes are a crowd pleaser
    I hate to say it, you gotta have a macrobrew

34. WiscoNYC

WiscoNYC Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2012 New York

Thanks for all the responses!

@Sixpoint The Crisp is what I wanted to get, but my soon to be mother-in-law asked me politely to get bottles for the remainder of the beers, so I unfortunately have to come up with something else.

As for you others, with the variety of drinks we'll have I think everyone will be pleased even with a lack of BMC. As for Fat Tire and Yuengling, those are two beers I have never liked, so not going with those. I think I'm gonna go with SN Nooner Pils, which I think will please the masses and is more welcoming than Victory Prima or FW Pivo. That will go along with the Other Half IPAs and Allagash White. I may also grab a couple cases of a porter, something like Founders or Smuttynose Robust.

rozzom and rabbitguy like this.
  35. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

High Life is the champagne of beers

BWM-77, rabbitguy and WiscoNYC like this.
  36. charlzm

charlzm Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2007 California

K.I.S.S. - fancy macro lager (Stella, Heineken), accessible wheat beer (Blue Moon) and a craft IPA. Sadly, I still wouldn't find much to drink since I'm a stout/porter/brown ale kinda guy, but oh, well...

37. Nmelione

Nmelione Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2014 New Jersey

+1, such a fantastic beer

rozzom likes this.
  38. rabbitguy

MGD came after Miller Highlife.

39. TheBrewViking

TheBrewViking Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2010 Alaska

Shows how much I know about BMC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.