1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to add-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Wee Heavy Tasing-Western Suffolk L.I.-3/30/14

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by pjkelley82, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjkelley82

pjkelley82 Initiate (0) May 23, 2013 New York

Hello all...

I am having a Wee Heavy Tasting this Sunday March 30th 2014 in Huntington Station at a friends house probably around 2p.m.. I had 8 or 9 people coming but a few had things pop up and cant make it. I have 25 or so different brands of Wee Heavy's and Barrel Aged Wee Heavy's but im probably going to drop that down considerably if the amount of people stays where its at.

If any of you BA's are free and are willing to come let me knew thru private message and I will give you the aderess and info. I can probably fit another 3-4 people. I expect nothing, I just want to share some good brews with some good people so you dont have to bring any beers as I have plenty. There's no fee but if you want to bring any cheese or smoked meats that would be cool.

The total beers I have for the sampling are below. Either way im going to have a great time and I hope in the future we all can pop some bottles together at tastings and bottle shares...

Patrick

Alesmith Wee Heavy-25oz x1
    Alesmith Barell Aged Wee Heavy 2012 25oz x1
    Cigar City Big Sound2012 25oz x1
    Cigar City Barrel Aged Big Sound 25oz x1
    Scotch Silly 12oz x1
    Scotch Silly Port Barrel Aged 2013 25oz x1
    Scotch Silly Barrel Aged 25oz x1
    Founders Dirty Bastard 2013 12oz x2
    Founders Backwoods Bastard 2013 12oz x2
    Kuhnhenn A Few Shillings Too Many 2012 12oz x2
    Saint Arnold's Bishops Barrel 5 12oz x1
    Oskar Blues Old Chub 2012 12oz x2
    Oskar Blues Old Chub 2013 12oz x2
    SkullSplitter 2013 12oz x2
    Innis and Gunn Rum Cask 22oz x1
    Dark Horse Scotty Karate 2013 12oz x2
    DragonMead Under the Kilt Wee Heavy 2013 12oz x1
    Great Divide Claymore 2013 12oz x2
    Bellhaven Wee Heavy 16oz x1
    Smuttynose Scotch Ale 2013 22oz x1
    McEwan's Scotch Ale 12oz x2
    Hoppin Frog Barrel Aged Outta Kilter 2013 22oz x1
    Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Aged Wee Heavy 2013 12oz x1
    Thirsty Dog Barrel Aged Wulver 12oz x2

2. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Poo-Bah (3,422) Dec 13, 2009 New York

cool idea, wish i would've known about this sooner.

3. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (530) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

"Tasing" wee heavys? What did the style ever do to you? Not sure how the electrical current might effect ASTM. :wink:

4. SudsDoctor

Society

[​IMG]

5. pjkelley82

Lmao... that's what you get for proofreading it twice...

6. SudsDoctor

Society

Couldn't help myself. :grinning: Hope the tasting goes well. How could it not, with all those great beers? I love the style too.

7. pjkelley82

I found lots of people dont like that style from people I talk to and trade partners. But I noticed lots of New Yorkers like the style...

8. pjkelley82

And sorry about the short notice all.. just wanted to make sure the people who are not showing up, weren't showing up.

9. 2Xmd

2Xmd Devotee (402) Apr 19, 2013 New York

Looks like nice line-up. Missing a local though..... Southampton Scotch Ale was released recently. Not sure if it sold out at the brewery on the release day. Maybe someone can hook u up!

fugazidps and pjkelley82 like this.
  10. pjkelley82

Yea I was working that Saturday of the release so I couldn't snag some. Plus they are a bit of a ways out there and rather spend 20 more minutes driving to Peekskill..

But thanks, couldn't land a Pappy Van Muckle or Peat Dunwoodie or the Tenacious ones but I thinks its an okay lineup. Crooked Ladder has a fairly decent one as well.. I heard great things about Great South Bays Wee Heavy which is releasing next month and I think Mustache makes one as well.

11. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,046) Jan 6, 2014 New York

I need more friends like you. Haha, hope you had a good time.

pjkelley82 likes this.
  12. pjkelley82

Well if were talking future tense than yea, it was a blast.... but its not till tomorrow and your more than wel one to come...

Ill have more tastings and such and ill give enough notice to you guys..

We should set up some kind of bottle share... I have lots of shit im dying to drink but dont want to drink it by myself nor with most of my friends as they'd never appreciate it...

jrnyc likes this.
  13. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,046) Jan 6, 2014 New York

Duh, I thought today was the 30th. Have fun.

pjkelley82 likes this.
  14. pjkelley82

To recap for anyone interested.....

We tried 9 of the above beers and the rankings are below from top to bottom.

1- Kuhnhenn A Few Shillings Too Many
    2- Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Aged Wee Heavy
    3- Saint Arnold's Bishops Barrel 5
    4- Cigar City Barrel Aged Big Sound
    5- AleSmith Barrel Aged Wee Heavy
    6- Innis & Gunn Rum Cask
    7- Thirsty Dog Wulver
    8- Cigar City Big Sound
    9- AleSmith Wee Heavy

The top 3 were agreed by all with the remaining 6 varying slighlty.

Tastes are subjective but I was most exited for wulver and it was very good but didn't hold a candle to the ones above it. Bishops Barrel 5 was the smokiest and a very nice brew. Central Waters was just damn delisious and a huge surprise. I love anything and everything Kuhnhenn but did not think it would beat out the barrel aged ones and I'd prefer it over any of them... it was just a pure treat...

On a side note... I have an additional Wulver 12oz bottle if any of you long islanders are intrested in it and never had it.. let me know and its yours for just a smile... I have a bunch others but all of em are easily accessed here in long island bottle shops but your more than welcome to take email off my hands... I've had my fill and wanna share the love...

On a side-side note... I really wanna set up a bottle share in a few weeks to meet up with some of you beer advocates and pop a few good bottles... Sundays is best for me just need someone to host...

Patrick

dar482, LopeJuice and guinness77 like this.
  15. dar482

dar482 Poo-Bah (3,557) Mar 9, 2007 New York

Wow, really cool results. I loved Wulver, so must mean these others are freaking incredible.

pjkelley82 likes this.
  16. SudsDoctor

Society

Surprised you didn't do separate groupings, one for non-BA and one for BA. Not really fair to lump them, as evidenced by four of the top five on your list being BA. That said, I'll be keeping an eye out for the Kuhnhenn!

pjkelley82 likes this.
  17. pjkelley82

Tastes vary as you are well aware of...lol.. I was really amped up for the Wulver.. wee heavys are one of my fav styles. I found less bourbon flavor in the wulver but I dont wanna take away from it... its a kick ass brew I'd happily drink again. It was better balanced than any of the others I'd that helps...

I agree and had so many at the beiginng that I was gonna do two separate tastings, one for the Barre aged and one for the non barrel aged. It turned out less people showed up and the 9 I chose were the ones I most wanted to try. I wanted to do the 3 different scotch sillys but they were 25oz each so I saved em for another time.

And Kuhnhenn took the top spot and it wasn't barrel aged. That beer was just too good.. frickin caramel, butterscotch and malty.. it was sooo good.. I still have one 12 oz ill split as well its a 2012 so im not sure if age played a role but I'd look for it... I know ill be looking for more...

Innis and Gunn is probably my fav reg wee heavy and just suits my taste. So I could say the regular big sound might be just as good but im a little biased... the alesmith was very unique... more of a Barleywine and a weird taste to it..nothing bad just wierd. The barrel helped that beer tremendously

18. pjkelley82

I would keep a lookout for the central waters as well... that beer was a few levels above the third place as well... that was very surprising.. the bourbon was so fresh and upfront but everything else melded in midway and was just a joy to drink.. all 3 of us agreed that if Kuhnhenn wasn't in it it would of been ventral waters than ever one else by a long shot

19. SudsDoctor

Society

Haven't really gotten into BA beers yet (1 bomber of BCBS shared with friends 3 years ago), but will do.
    How easy are the others to find here on LI? The regular Alesmith is pretty easy, but it's the only one from your tasting I've had before (once, 3 years ago). Thought it was fantastic then, though in hindsight I agree with you that it is quite different than any other Wee Heavy I've had since (Traquair House, Smuttynose, Dirty Bastard, Old Chub, Bellhaven, Sam Adams).

#19 SudsDoctor, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  20. pjkelley82

Well out of the total beers in my original post, all can be pretty easily obtained here on the island with the exception of the below beers which I traded for or recieved as extras.

Cigar City Big Sound
    Cigar City Barrel Aged Big Sound
    Alesmith Barell Aged Wee Heavy
    Dragonmead Under the Kilt Wee Heavy
    Central Water's Bourbon Barrel Aged Wee Heavy
    Saint Arnold's Bishops Barrel 5
    Kuhnhenn A Few Shillings Too Many
    Port Barrel Aged Scotch Silly
    Barrel Aged Scotch Silly
    Thirsty Dog Wulver

So almost half of em. If you like bourbon in general you will probably like a barrel aged beer and there are sooo many out there that's easily attainable its almost criminal not to try more. If you trade I seen a recent iso on reddit where a guy wanting a 4 pack of kbs for a barrel aged wee heavy which is a good deal imo.. if you also got kbs.

Some of the others from my original list I have lots of so if you wanna try some let me know ill throw you some for free... I had Old Chub on nitro and it was pretty good but never had it regular... also if you've never tried Innis & Gunn Rum Cask I'd highly suggest it.. that beer has a special place in my heart. So true to a Wee Heavy

21. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,280) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

I agree on the Innis & Gunn Rum cask - very good beer.

Isn't Central Waters now being distributed to the greater NY metro area?

pjkelley82 likes this.
  22. SudsDoctor

Society

I don't drink bourbon, or spirits in general. Beer is an expensive enough hobby for me, even without the BA stuff. :rolling_eyes:
    Don't trade either, for the same reason.

P.S. I somehow forgot to mention the one other BA beer I've had—King Henry (smacking my forehead, V-8 style).

23. pjkelley82

I just got word that we are supposed to get em here on long island soon.. whether the reserves make it im not sure...

24. pjkelley82

Well either way you have had great brews.. barrel aged beers are a little Hoosier to me so it may not be your thing... doesn't hurt to try. Unless your allergic. Then it could kill ya!

25. pjkelley82

Boozier....

26. Harryrass

Harryrass Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 New York

Wee heavy is a great style. Bellport has Central Waters, but I don't think I saw the wee heavy. I never heard of them so I din't pay attention. That and the fact that I spent too much already.

27. CaptFrothy

CaptFrothy Devotee (497) Dec 9, 2006 Maryland
    Society

Of that list, I've only had the Innis & Gunn and think highly of it, so if it finished 6th, I can''t wait to try those top 5. Never seen them in my searching however.

Anywave, you might try Leinenkugel's Big Eddy Wee Heavy, it's readily available and surprisingly good, silky malty, not world class just rock solid.

pjkelley82 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.