Weihenstephan Festbier is underrated on BA scale

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by sberg3, Oct 12, 2020.

1. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,778) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Could not agree more with this statement. And really, isn't this true about all beers? Not everyone likes the same thing, which I think is great, as the result is that we have all kinds of different styles and takes on various styles.

To get back to the Weihenstephan festbier, I thought it a pleasant, albeit somewhat light and simple, take on the style. Good, but not typically what I'm looking for when I reach for an Oktoberfest beer.

I'll also readily agree that the beer tends not to show all that well when poured alongside a rich marzen from, say, Ayinger or Hacker-pschorr.

2. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,296) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

One might also argue, as I recently read (from about a month ago?), and agree is possible, that German beers bottled almost 3 months before local American versions could suffer a freshness penalty.

Although obviously this doesn’t apply if comparing two German-brewed “sub-styles” against each other.

nc41 likes this.
  3. BFCarr

BFCarr Meyvn (1,058) Feb 13, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

I had this beer for the first time recently at a Buffalo Wild Wings and it was something of a revolution. Great flavor and feel and low ABV. Went back to it a few weeks later and it was just as good. I know I like it better than others but at only 6% over deviation, can’t say it’s underrated.

Bitterbill likes this.
  4. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,555) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I’d say Mctoberfest from OMB as an example has a big advantage over its imported brothers. If we’re lucky they’re only 3 months old, most likely a bit older. I’d take 10 day old beer over one 3-4 months old, that imo is a big advantage. I’ve never had a fresh German beer, as I’ve never been to Germany. Some of these American breweries the head brewer is likely educated in Germany, trained in Germany, with extensive time with hands on. So I’d trust they’re as authentic as it can get.

cjgiant likes this.
  5. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,776) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Training and execution are two different animals.

6. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,296) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

I assume by this you mean German Oktoberfests. I think Ive dated them as between May and July (and I was using the latter). And yes, I agree I'd rather have the fresher beer. Although there is something in the older German Oktoberfests, based on my review from last year, that local brewers seem to just miss on - and if I had to categorize it, I'd say it's a cleaner feel.

True, but one might argue that one begets another better than "winging it"

Bitterbill likes this.
  7. nc41

Society Trader

Absolutely. But once you figure out the local dynamics the 10 years you brewed in Germany are ingrained, you know what it’s supposed to be so you make it that. By dynamics I’m talking components here, local water, hops, malts, yeast. No idea if in Germany the water is conditioned, I don’t understand the science behind the beers. There’s always a learning curve I suppose, brewing in Munich is much different than Whitsett NC, and their head brewer meets those criteria, he’s trained from Munich.

8. jonphisher

jonphisher Disciple (347) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

likely? I’m not so sure. do you know any personally? Is OMB? I’m sure there is a lot I don’t know about this topic but the only Europe ties I know of locally are troegs and victory, I’m guessing others that opened around the same time probably may too. I’m sure I’m missing some (maybe a lot) but I don’t think that many of the newer breweries have German/European training these days.

nc41 likes this.
  9. steveh

Society

I have found one or two American Oktoberfests that tasted like the beers I had in Germany. Dynamics, as you call it, are definitely a big part of it -- as are the execution I mentioned above -- and it's just not happening here in the States all that much.

And FWIW, the couple of beers I mentioned were made at 2 very small breweries; one by a German-trained brewmaster, the other by a self-trained, home-brewer turned pro with a great attention to detail.

And yeah, they were both better than Mecktoberfest (which is my highest rated Okto, before you jump on me -- I just wasn't rating when I was lucky enough to sample the other two).

*Bit of an edit -- I just recalled a third, Fest-style that was perfect in its first rendition -- brewed by an American-trained brewmaster with a love of German styles. Sadly, it's no longer brewed.

10. nc41

Society Trader

I’m over my head here I’ve never had the pleasure of drinking fresh beer from Germany. What the difference between what you had in Germany and say OMB? I’d love to compare fresh to fresh, maybe it just comes back to an individual head brewers skill... and instincts. Don’t know.

jonphisher likes this.
  11. nc41

Society Trader

The local guys here are legit, they schooled in Germany, worked there for a decade then they’re here. I can’t speak for all obviously, but Old Meck and Red Oak are completely legit. They don’t try and copy, they brew what they know.

jonphisher likes this.
  12. steveh

Society

It's a malt character that few Ami breweries seem to be able to duplicate. A lot of it has to do with malt choice and a lot of it has to do with process -- or both.

I'll have to check my Meck review, I know they came close (as my review attests), but it still wasn't as good as those German beers -- to me.

*Just looked at my review and it was what I thought I remembered; a nutty character I never tasted in the maltier German brews I had there.

That said, I have tasted it in a few recent imports, so it may be a regional character from certain barley -- but I'm not that versed in German varietals.

#52 steveh, Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    AlcahueteJ, Bitterbill and nc41 like this.
  13. jonphisher

jonphisher Disciple (347) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

That’s cool! I would love to check them out if I’m ever in NC. Just looked up old meck, man that beer garden looks awesome. Red oak looks like an awesome atmosphere too. Cool stuff.

nc41 likes this.
  14. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,832) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

They are also the Bavarian State brewing school, so the students would learn many styles.

AlcahueteJ, Bitterbill and steveh like this.
  15. hopfenunmaltz

Society

Barke Pilsner malt and decoctions. Learned that on a brewing forum from a guy who went to brewing school there.

Bitterbill and steveh like this.
  16. steveh

Society

While I don't disagree, there are probably other malts besides Barke too, don't you think? I remember HB Dunkel being just rich with that big melanoidin character.

Or were you talking about that nuttiness?

#56 steveh, Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Bitterbill likes this.
  17. hopfenunmaltz

Society

Barke is said to be favored by the Munich Brewers. Another variety off the top of my head is Steffi.

I've homebrewed with Barke Pils, and it does have a good flavor. I've not brewed with Barke Vienna or Munich, yet. I have some Barke Munich for an up comming brew.

Bitterbill and steveh like this.
  18. nc41

Society Trader

Old Meck is on 4 acres in Charlotte, 4 acres in a city? It’s ridiculous. Red Oak is great too, but I prefer Old Meck beers.

jonphisher likes this.
  19. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,778) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I'm sure you're right, though I can't express an opinion from actual experience. I've only ever had the festbier on draft. When I lived in Baltimore, I would go to the Oktoberfest event at Max's in Fells Point every year. There would typically be around 10 or 15 Oktoberfest beers on offer for the event, along with as many as 20 or so gravity feed German beers. At such an event, the Weihenstephan typically wouldn't show all that well by comparison. Still a fine beer, don't get me wrong, but it was facing some pretty stiff competition at the event.

nc41 and Bitterbill like this.
  20. nc41

Society Trader

Brauhaus Schmitz in Philly does specialty drafts this time of year, I wish they weren’t 7 hours away.

John_M and FBarber like this.
  21. nc41

Society Trader

That’s what I’m talking about I want to have a bar I can get to get those beers I only read about.

22. nc41

Society Trader

23. officerbill

officerbill Zealot (572) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Long story short is that Weihenstephaner ratings suffer because they brew a pale weisn style Festbier.
    Personally I prefer that style; however, the vast majority of BA raters prefer the amber märzen style so Weihenstephaner, and others like them, get lower ratings.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  24. steveh

Society

Wiesn.

Sorry, it's an affliction. :grin:

And "preference" be damned, once again. Don't f***ing rate one style (and it is a different style) to another. I review both when I get them and don't hold one style over the other.

Rant over.

PapaGoose03 and officerbill like this.
  25. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,938) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

I prefer to separate them as substyles for discussion, but I do review and rate them as one style.

"Märzenbier is full-bodied, rich, and toasty, with a moderately high alcohol content. Its color can be anywhere from pale gold to medium amber, but is typically some shade of copper. Like other dark lagers, the aroma is driven by malt, not hops. Best enjoyed by the half liter in a Bavarian beer garden." -- Dark Lagers: Lager - Märzen / Oktoberfest

In comparison with the darker, maltier, richer flavored beers (e.g. Ayinger and others), I rate the Weihenstephaner lower. That's just my preference as well as my "keeping style in mind."

nc41 and officerbill like this.
  26. officerbill

officerbill Zealot (572) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Thanks for the correction, I misspelled it the first time and now it always autocorrects to the wrong spelling. :confused:

+1 on your rant. The two styles shouldn't be rated against each other, but we've been down the “rate to style” road before :pensive:

steveh likes this.
  27. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,938) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Except they are the same style on this site; FWIW, not according to BJCP, where they have been separated.

officerbill and PapaGoose03 like this.
  28. mambossa

mambossa Aspirant (249) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

A couple months ago a local-ish brewery rep came to my store and was hyping up their festbier super hard, like almost shamelessly. The rep proceeded to shit talk the Bitburger and Weihenstephaner Festbiers I had on the shelf.

I actually copped an attitude with him and pretty much laughed at him as politely as I could. Once I tried his brewery’s “festbier”, it was miles behind Weihestephaner. It sucks that some people/novices in the beer culture think it’s cool to shit on old world breweries. Those with any keen taste for lager know that Weihestephaner festbier was on-fuckin-point this year.

29. steveh

Society

Yeah, I was going to post that I don't agree with them being "the same" style. To my palate they're very different -- at least Spaten Ur-Märzen from HB Fest. I've been proven wrong between Paulaner Märzen and their Wiesn in blind tasting.

@AlcahueteJ :stuck_out_tongue:

officerbill and AlcahueteJ like this.
  30. steveh

Society

I really want you to rat the brewery out, but I know that would be rotten. :wink:

31. mambossa

mambossa Aspirant (249) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

Snitches get stitches. But I feel like I’ve mentioned this situation with more explicit details on another thread at some point... oh well!

32. steveh

Society

Link? :grin:

I'm kidding -- I really don't need to know.

mambossa likes this.
  33. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,616) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Fixed that...:wink:

34. nc41

Society Trader

That’s confusing.

I just look at them as two separate styles, because they are as you would drink them, they’re nowhere close to the same family. But they’re umbrellaed under an Oktoberfest label. Two beers, different beers, one label.

Ah, see above to MM post. Messed that up.

35. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,616) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I would also note that the highest rated “Märzen/Oktoberfest” on this site is not only not an Oktoberfest, it’s also not a Munich brewery, nor is it even a German brewery, it’s also likely not even a true “Märzen” by German standards being 4.6% ABV (I realize the definition goes by OG, but I couldn’t find that information for this beer).

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1787/6583/

So I think it’s safe to say you can take the ratings for this “style” with a grain of salt. Preferably those grains of salt are on a lovely German pretzel. :wink:

36. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,274) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

An excellent festbier I try to have every year; I am disappointed that the label has changed from the classy nuns drinking the festbier at a picnic table laughing their hearts out to a generic label.

37. steveh

Society

No, no, no -- not fixed for me, I want to hear from the folks that know beer -- not spin!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  38. steveh

Society

Maybe, but check the reviews -- how many are actually reviews of Augustiner Munich input under the wrong listing? :wink:

(Hard to believe there are only 23 reviews of that beer)

AlcahueteJ and FBarber like this.
  39. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,359) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Not underrated by me. I'm on my 3rd 6pack.

40. Providence

Providence Crusader (709) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

I would be completely content if I could only drink Weihenstephaner beers for the rest of my life.