Weihenstephaner Shortage?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by keithmurray, Jul 12, 2021.

1. jonphisher

jonphisher Meyvn (1,385) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Not unless I’ve missed something. Only ones in cans are the helles and hefe as far as I know.

let’s hope that doesn’t become the news @thebeers

thebeers likes this.
  2. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Zealot (518) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Bavarian Lodge in Lisle currently has the Hefe, Original, and Vitus on tap.
    http://bavarian-lodge.com/beer

3. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,568) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Always hear great things about them, just too far from me for a beer-drinking excursion.

Bitterbill likes this.
  4. steveh

Society

Bitterbill likes this.
  5. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Zealot (518) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

They do growler fills (32 and 64 oz) if you’re ever in the area, check their BeerMenus page to see what’s available.

Jaycase, Bitterbill and steveh like this.
  6. steveh

Society

Definitely good to know. Thanks for that nugget.

Bitterbill likes this.
  7. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Aspirant (229) Jan 8, 2015 California

That's an amazing draft list. My first choice there would be the Reissdorf Kolsch as my first beer experience in Germany was in Cologne and I have never been able to match that Kolsch experience here in the US.

Bitterbill, CB_Michigan, zid and 2 others like this.
  8. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,359) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I haven’t noticed with Weihenstephaner Hefeweissen but was talking to the owner of a local German Restaurant/ Bar in the area who said he was having trouble getting a bunch of different German beers. Mostly in keg format actually, bottles seemed fine, but about half his taps were kicked and he said he physically was not able to obtain the beers he always has (nothing crazy and big name breweries, something from Ayinger, Salvator Doppelbock, etc). Fortunately Aventinus was still flowing.

Bitterbill and jonphisher like this.
  9. steveh

Society

Hurt me. :slight_smile:

Yet another I've never had vom Fass -- on either side of the Atlantic. My last trip to the Schneider Haus, all Aventinus was bottle dispensed.

Bitterbill likes this.
  10. zac16125

Society Trader

Really?!?! They didn’t even have Aventinus on draft at the source?!?! I guess I’ve been taking it for granted, I mean I very much appreciate it and almost always get at least one glass when i see it on tap, but I didn’t realize it was a rarity in that format.

steveh likes this.
  11. Soneast

Soneast Champion (876) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin

Just checked my local, they had the usual, some even dated 2021. Picked up some Helles, cause damn that's good. :slight_smile:

12. steveh

Society

From what I hear, that's changed since my last visit. Was a time when most Weizenbier on tap was rare.

As to Aventinus -- I usually spread my sampling of that one over long stretches (helps that it's been difficult to find lately) -- doing that helps remind me just how damn good it is and keeps me from taking it for granted!

Bitterbill and zac16125 like this.
  13. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Aspirant (229) Jan 8, 2015 California

I have been on a lager quest for about 12 months and just now realized that I could have some of my favorites on draft by simply visiting a local German restaurant of which a simple Google search reveals many more than I expected. :neutral_face:

Bitterbill, Soneast and steveh like this.
  14. zac16125

Society Trader

I can’t get enough of German beers lately, and both Aventinus and Aventinus Eisbock both scratch that itch. Obviously Eisbock not on draft, if it was that’s be dangerous for me!

15. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,628) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Check out this thread and also the link in post #540 to a Google spreadsheet for some places that you may not know about. If you know of places that I don't already have in the spreadsheet, let me know by adding a post to the thread and I'll get them added.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...le-beer-food-venues-in-the-u-s.632830/page-14

16. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,846) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

Saw bottles of the Helles dated April 15th, 2021 today at a local store. About as fresh as one is likely going to find in the States. All six pack varieties present & packaged in 2021. In the cooler to boot. No shortage here, thank goodness. :wink:

Bitterbill and steveh like this.
  17. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,776) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

To expand on @steveh 's post, Weizenbier as we know it is designed as a bottled beer style ideally, so you can't impose the average American taproom model on how a German Weizen brewer might present their beer.

18. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (4,691) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Send kegs please

19. steveh

Society

Maybe the wave is spreading east to west.

lastmango, Bitterbill and Jaycase like this.
  20. lastmango

lastmango Champion (844) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania

Just went to our favorite local pub In Indiana, PA. W Hefe was on tap and served fresh in a W glass. :grin:

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  21. steveh

Society

They let you see the date on the keg? :wink::grin:

Bitterbill and jesskidden like this.
  22. lastmango

Ok . . . no. I was commenting on the taste, which was fresh to me based on taste. Sorry if my comment was misleading. :slight_frown:

PapaGoose03 and steveh like this.
  23. steveh

Society

Nah -- just throwing red meat to the Freshness Fascists. :wink:

If it tasted good to you, I'm sure it was fresh!

24. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,223) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

What I've done before is give the bartender my phone to take a pic of the keg tag.

25. steveh

Society

Before you order? :grin:

This brings to mind sitting at a cozy restaurant bar with a friend in mid-November, drinking Spaten premium. Ordered a second round and the keg has kicked. Bartender says it'll just be a second to switch kegs. No prob.

Bartender comes back and starts to refill our glasses, out of the corner of my eye I see the beer being poured is not light gold, but copper-amber. "Hmm. That's not Spaten Helles."
    "Oh, sorry -- it said Spaten on the keg, would you like something else?"
    " Not at all!" :grinning:

Needless to say, we spent more time at the bar that night than planned.:grin:

keithmurray, lastmango and Bitterbill like this.
  26. Bitterbill

Society

I would have spent more time there too!
    Great story.

steveh likes this.
  27. lastmango

Was at my favorite pub and the Paulaner Hefe kicked. Waitress says . . . it will be a few minutes while we tap the new keg. I look over and see that my new glass of Paulaner is coming out but it is half head! My waitress grabs a napkin from the bar and dunks it in my glass to remove some foam. Ech! :angry: She arrives at my table and I inform her that I saw what she did and do not appreciate it. Got a new glass and beer.

28. jonphisher

Society Trader

Reporting witty non shortage news…Went over my dads last night cause we were celebrating his birthday. He had some weihenstepan original, bottle March 1, 2021. Not too shabby so wherever he purchased there seems to be no issue with supply for now i guess.

Bitterbill, steveh and lastmango like this.
  29. steveh

Society

Gahh!

Waitress, or the bartender? Most bartenders will use a separate glass to pour of that first hit of foam from the keg -- wonder what her experience is? :confused:

Bitterbill likes this.
  30. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,513) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Hey, that would be nice info up on the chalk board*, along with ABV, calories, ingredient info (and price for !@#$'s-sake**):
    "Keg Racked on Date" and "Keg Tapped on Date"
    (I'm really dreamin' now, ain't I? :slight_frown: )

re: Chalk Board or printed Beer Menu (I mean, now excuse for not having one or the other or both. With PC's and printers common, EVERY place should have a up-to-date printed menu).

I stopped into the auditorium-sized joint one day(quaintly and oxymoronically named "Tavern") and it was packed - on a workday afternoon. I couldn't believe the noise (I kept looking around for a big party screaming at the sports on TV or something. Nope - just a lousy acoustical-designed building interior I guess). When I finally found a seat at the bar (besides looking for quiet neighbors, I need one with some light to read my magazine :grin:) I found a claustrophobic one right up against a plexiglass pandemic guard next to the waitstaff station. Bartenders stopped watching TV and chatting with one another long enough to have one attempt to serve me. Hands me a food menu.

"Yeah, uh, can I see a beer menu?"
    I yelled.
    "Mumble, mumble, mumble." He didn't yell.
    " 'Cuse me?"
    Hands me a table tent with computer hieroglyphics. "You can see our beer menu by scanning this QR code with your phone."

Wait. MY phone? I need to use MY phone to find out what's on tap in YOUR !@#$ing bar! My phone's in my truck (sometimes - sometimes it's even charged up) I don't walk around with it like some idiot (aka "everybody else"). I go out to get away from phone calls. Of course, I didn't say any of that - too many words to shout. Instead I just waved him off and shouted, "TOO LOUD IN HERE ANYWAY" and split.

** Stopped into a new liquor store in a neighboring town the other day and was surprised to see that they have a little bar in the back (once common in NJ for stores that held an state "PLENARY RETAIL CONSUMPTION LICENSE WITH “BROAD PACKAGE PRIVILEGE". Seems most of these licensees dropped or never had a bar but some jumped into the growler market a few years back, though that seemed to be dying out, speeded up by the pandemic).

Their beer menu only listed prices for growlers to-go (what?) and as a result the on-premise prices were way out of whack, and unknown until the bill came.

F'r'instance - my two draught choices, menu price and what I was charged in brackets.
    Kane Head High - 32 oz. growler - $10 [shaker pint on-premise - $8]
    Bonesaw Helles - 32 oz. growler - $8 [a large pilsner glass on-premise - $9!]

Yeah, I get that on-premise prices are normally higher but growler fills aren't exactly brewery packaged bottles/cans. Plus, they don't even make sense - why is a growler of HH higher than the Bonesaw but the reverse is true on-premise?

Whoa, whoa, whoa. :astonished: Who are the true authoritarians in the this scenario? Those who want the knowledge and freedom of choice to determine on their own how fresh a beer is to purchase/consume it or the 3-Tier Oligarchy, led by the IBC (International Brewing Capitalists) with their secret codes and/or commands "DRINK BEFORE" and "BEST BY"?

As a long time Red (as in Leftist - not Cincinnati nor Red-Stater - how the Fuck did the latter even happen? I blame the MSM:wink:) I particularly resent that sobriquet!

We (well, I ...) prefer the term - "Freshness Fanatic".
    Alternately, "Date Code Devotee", "Code Zealot" or "The Antista" (Anti-stale beer).:grin:

#70 jesskidden, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  31. steveh

Society

C'mon, you know that I know that you know the difference between the fascists and the fanatics. :wink:

Amendm, Bitterbill and PapaGoose03 like this.
  32. SSGCujo

SSGCujo Disciple (340) Jul 12, 2016 Wisconsin

I went to Woodmans in Oak Creek, WI, and the store had just about every Weihenstephaner type available. I love the Dunkleweisse!

Bitterbill, Amendm and steveh like this.
  33. Amendm

Amendm Meyvn (1,099) Jun 7, 2018 Florida
    Society

Denny's in Bellingham Mass. has the new Helles and the Hefe in the big cans. They also have some 6 packs that are turning into shelf turds as I write this. Cheers.

34. steveh

Society

Have yet to see the new Helles in my area.

Bitterbill and Amendm like this.
  35. lastmango

It was the waitress. Ya think the bartender would have taken care of it.

36. nomisugitai

nomisugitai Devotee (435) Mar 11, 2006 New Jersey
    Society

I've yet to see the cans anywhere.

37. jonphisher

Society Trader

Use their beer finder, very accurate in my experience. If you’re in south jersey there are plenty of places to find.

38. steveh

Society

No new Helles near me. I need to research the Weihenstephaner distro in my area, but I have a bad feeling...

39. Bitterbill

Society

JackHorzempa likes this.
  40. zac16125

Society Trader

Went to the aforementioned German restaurant/bar last night. Weinhenstephaner Hefe was on tap. Aventinus still flowing. Only kicked tap this time was Salvator Doppelbock.

Some of the bar staples were not there (nothing from Ayinger which they always have at least one tap of, for example). Bottle selection seemed a bit thinner than usual. Not sure if either were due to shortages or just random variation.

Bitterbill likes this.