Weird food pairings...

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by PumaSaysRawrr, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PumaSaysRawrr

PumaSaysRawrr Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2013 Pennsylvania

I just had burnt cinnamon bread with a Heart of darkness from Magic hat and together it was absolutely amazing....now that the toast is gone the beer may get dumped.

If I have to drink Budweiser I have found chewing Cinnamon gum makes it quite an enjoyable experience....
    Do you have any weird food pairings?

2. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,196) Dec 25, 2003 California
    Subscriber

Chocolate and Bacon.

3. BurgeoningBrewhead

BurgeoningBrewhead Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

I dip microwave popcorn in hot sauce.
    I don't think I do anything weird with beer though.

4. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Poo-Bah (1,760) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

That's pretty normal. On the other hand, a Red Bull float with Cheez-Its on top, isn't.

The weirdest thing I did with beer was mix Rubaeus with Young's Double Chocolate Stout... and that's not exactly weird.

Scalzo likes this.
  5. Danny1217

Danny1217 Champion (846) Jul 15, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

Great Divide Orabelle with pecan pie. It was suggested on the beer's label.

6. BurgeoningBrewhead

I suppose it's not horrifically odd; never heard of anyone else doing it though. It started from my childhood friend who would sprinkle hot sauce over a bowl of microwave popcorn; because this made the popcorn soggy, I improved on the method and decided to dip individual pieces of popcorn into a small cup of hot sauce (Frank's RedHot). And it only works with microwave popcorn, air popped or pan popped tastes god-awful with hot sauce.

On the off-chance you ever read this Lucas A., thanks for the awesome food tip man. Miss you buddy.

7. SerialTicker

I thought it was pretty common. The movie theater by me has sriracha and hot sauce by the butter.

But anyway, I think this would be a weird food pairing on its own... since it's. Food in beer?
    [​IMG]

8. BurgeoningBrewhead

Honestly, some rauchbiers I've had haven't tasted far off from the way that sounds. I'd try it.

9. SerialTicker

I would too, but I'd be sort of scared. I've only had a couple of smoked beers. I could drink a jar of BBQ sauce, but the idea of it with beer sort of weirds me out.

10. chuckv

chuckv Aspirant (265) Apr 19, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I like to dip pickles into kool-aid powder.

11. wr3ck00n

wr3ck00n Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 North Carolina

I like to sprinkle salt (preferably of the coarse, sea variety) on my ice cream. Just a little bit. Brings out the flavors.

12. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,132) Mar 18, 2010 California

I do the same thing, with the same sauce. Good times.

BurgeoningBrewhead likes this.
  13. wr3ck00n

I put that sh*t on everything. :wink:

(Seriously though. Could practically drink the stuff.)

JrGtr likes this.
  14. BurgeoningBrewhead

I have drank it before. Not very fun, but doable.

15. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,132) Mar 18, 2010 California

I have been known to drink the remaining sauce when the popcorn is gone...

16. wr3ck00n

No shame in that, my friend. Hehe.. also, if you like a smoky taste, I HIGHLY recommend Buffalo brand (sososo much better than Tabasco) chipotle sauce as an alternative. Most of our local grocery stores don't carry it, usually have to track it down in a Latino Market. Very worth the extra energy exerted though.

17. e34john

e34john Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I dip popcorn in Prego pasta sauce. Heat the spaghetti sauce with some grated parmesan and dip the popcorn into the mixture.
    Have you ever had a koolickle?

For those who never heard of one. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/09/dining/09kool.html?_r=0

18. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Disciple (385) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

It's not odd b/c intuitively it should work, but I really enjoy telling foodie friends that a good Belgian faro outdoes a Sauternes or whatever you like with fois gras. Multiple sins in that particular pleasure. Otherwise, I've had fun convincing a waiter that, yes, I wanted the Anchor porter and the vanilla ice cream at the same time. Still not that odd, I know, but fun.

19. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (395) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I've drank it before... took a cup to dip French fries in and had some left over. Couldn't let it go to waste, ya know...

BurgeoningBrewhead and wr3ck00n like this.
  20. kristougher

kristougher Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

i was very hammered last year and drank a bottle of founders breakfast stout while eating cocoa puffs out of the bag. Greatest decision of the winter.

PumaSaysRawrr likes this.
  21. OldPenguinHunter

OldPenguinHunter Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2010 California

Chicken hearts... I can't remember what I had with it, probably some Monkish (meh beer in my opinion) crazy combo Belgian ale, but just chicken hearts- plain, grilled on tiny little skewers... I couldn't drink enough of the Monkish to get the idea out of my head, so I guess that's a great pairing. But I still remember, I will never forget. Chicken hearts...

22. wr3ck00n

So I randomly decided that I needed to pour some Founders Porter over a mini bowl of cocoa crispies.. made the alcohol much more prevalent, yet was decidedly tasty. May be trying that again at some point. Mmm.. and perhaps with some ice cream.

23. MikeG304

MikeG304 Initiate (146) Sep 3, 2013 New York

My wife and kids think breakfast sausage and peanut butter is the nuts. I think they're nuts but........

Scalzo likes this.
  24. MikeG304

MikeG304 Initiate (146) Sep 3, 2013 New York

I also discovered last night that Popcorn with Adobo seasoning and Kona Koko Brown go really well together!

25. RBCORCORAN

RBCORCORAN Aspirant (239) May 18, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Homemade peanut butter and bacon cookies with just about anything.

Scalzo likes this.
  26. imbibehour

imbibehour Poo-Bah (6,091) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Supporter Subscriber

Melon (cantaloupe, watermelon, honeydew etc...) and fresh cracked black pepper. No I don't do this often, but had it somewhere served to me once and it was quite interesting.

27. csurowiec

csurowiec Devotee (404) Mar 7, 2010 Maryland

Eating gingersnap cookies while drinking a dubbel. Last time I used ommegang abbey. Somehow they just go together.

28. wr3ck00n

Enjoying some chocolate/caramel/jalapeno (yeah I know.. it's good though, I promise.. all powder type flavoring) popcorn with some Smuttynose Finestkind. Pretty yummy.

[​IMG]

mrcraft and MikeG304 like this.
  29. wr3ck00n

I could probably single handedly keep this thread alive.. I guess I just like weird shit. :wink: Oracle and habanero pickles last night. Kicks from both sides, very yummy.

[​IMG]

mrcraft likes this.
  30. puffingMe

puffingMe Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2013

SAlt and beer, it boosts the taste of the beer for me. Don't mix it though, just put a paste of salt into your tongue, taste it, then drink beer - delicious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.