Welcome to the new BeerAdvocate Community!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by BeerAdvocate, Feb 22, 2012.

1. TheSevenDuffs

TheSevenDuffs Jan 20, 2010 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

2. GoldenChild

GoldenChild Nov 18, 2009 Michigan
    Beer Trader

3. angusdegraosta

angusdegraosta Sep 23, 2010 New York

I have a suggestion for the profile page: the Information tab is AOK, except I think the "About You" description should appear on the front page of the profile under username rather than be tucked away in this tab. Right now the main page shows the latest status update twice, since "Profile Posts" shows up first by default anyway...

http://beeradvocate.com/community/members/angusdegraosta.506502/

Cheers,
    Angus

4. aranheaney

aranheaney Aug 23, 2010 New York

Morning all, does anyone know how I can get my old avatar back?

5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Beer Trader

6. SierraGS

SierraGS Oct 28, 2007 Pennsylvania

Seriously? No spell check in the editor?

7. Wasatch

Wasatch Jun 8, 2005 Colorado

23,172 not bad I guess, lol

8. andylipp

andylipp Dec 8, 2006 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

Firefox has a spell checker built in. Maybe try that?

9. BrianTheBrewer30

BrianTheBrewer30 Nov 17, 2009 Massachusetts

Google Chrome does as well.

10. SteelersX

SteelersX Jan 30, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

I got tore a new one in the old forum when I asked for a spell check.
    From the usual sarcastic bunch
    they know who they are.

11. MichPaul

MichPaul Jan 28, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

New to the site. STELLAR so far!

12. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Jan 15, 2010 Ohio

Thanks for your hard work,best site for talking about craft beer in any form,continue to do what is best for Beer Advocate.

13. Vonstein15

I would like to know how I receive the new avatar,news to me.

14. Todd

Todd Founder Aug 23, 1996 Colorado
    Staff Moderator Site Editor Fest Crew Subscriber

Yes. Seriously. ;)

Why? It would be redundant. All modern browsers include/offer spellcheckers for form fields.

suspect likes this.
  15. Vonstein15

now this is different,look forward to all the great posts of the future,sarcastic or not,cheers to everyone

16. puboflyons

puboflyons Jul 26, 2008 New Hampshire

I think the new site isn't bad. The main thing I miss in the new format is being able to track all the beers I have rated. I liked to look at the list of beers reviewed and keep track of how many reviews I have done. I hope this feature is brought back. Or perhaps it is there but I have not been able to find it.

17. Todd

You can still review, Had, Want and Got beers, review places and track them. http://beeradvocate.com. Left hand nav. "Your: Beers | Places"

18. Brad007

Brad007 Mar 28, 2007 Vermont

I hate to be redundant in any form but will all of my reviews eventually be back up? Just wondering. I'm continuing to review beer as-is.

19. suspect

suspect Apr 12, 2010 New York

Exactly.

20. suspect

The problem is that both sites feel extremely separate. Reviewing places and beers and the whole forum site feels separate. I assume they'll gel at some point and it will make me giddy. Until then, it might as well be beeradvocate.com and talkaboutbeer.com.

21. Todd

Kind of stating the obvious. ;) Read here: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/site-update-feb-24-2012.750/

22. suspect

23. Spikester

Spikester Jul 14, 2007 Oregon

Glad to see the site back up. Nice job of updating the look. :)

24. Spikester

ah...147743.

25. Spikester

Thanks for the "CNTRL -" tip, much better.

26. muchloveforhops3

muchloveforhops3 Apr 5, 2009 Oregon

Jason and Todd-

Much thanks for all the time and effort put into this project.

Looking forward to the new BA Community!

27. SierraGS

There are also shortcut keys to do most of the other functions in the WYSIWYG editor. That doesn't mean you don't provide the tool in an obvious place.

28. Todd

Assuming you're using a modern browser, it too will have shortcut keys for its internal spellchecker, but most are set to check real-time so there's no need. Again, it would be redundant if we offered one too and its more efficient to handle this on the client-side so that the user can use whatever custom dictionary they've built over time with any site they visit. There are also several spellcheckers available for IE.

29. SierraGS

I use Firefox, and I'm aware of that (but thank you - good tip for others.) My point is that, from a usability standpoint for people who aren't proficient in downloading browsers / add-ons and stick with the standard IE, there ought to be a spellcheck option. I've set up software, such as Drupal editor and forum add-ons, and with the click of a button a software manager can usually add a spellcheck option to the editor toolbar. If this software doesn't offer that option, that's a fine answer. But requiring users to do extra work (download a new browser or add-on) is just bad design.

30. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Beer Trader

I'm sure

There isn't much proficiency needed to download a browser, not much work either. Go to the browser's website, click download, follow the easy steps and you're done. I'm sure IE will someday catch up to the rest of them but that is just one reason I don't use IE anymore...

31. puboflyons

puboflyons Jul 26, 2008 New Hampshire

Great! Thanks for letting me know.

32. Seanibus

Seanibus Dec 6, 2004 California

Woah. Welcome back to us. Gonna take some getting used to, but sometimes change is good. Well done, bros.

33. scientifics

scientifics Feb 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

The new forums look great! I've finally decided to join up and get a subscription to the magazine to support you guys!

34. aasher

aasher Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I use an android and every once in awhile I'll get a message saying that it can't load the forum due to "too many redirects".

35. suretolose

suretolose Apr 5, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Sweet set up. I like it.

36. Stankonia

Stankonia Dec 17, 2010 Idaho

Is there anyway that people's location can be listed right under their avatar and user name?? Obviously the availability and discussion of craft beer can be location-dependent, and its a pain to open a person's profile anytime you want to see where they are.

JohnWaynes44 likes this.
  37. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

bros have said they are not currently doing this as it's a free-form field and would be abused. You can click the avatar for the pop-up, no need to go to the profile.

38. trginter

trginter Dec 1, 2008 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Why not have a dropdown box with a list of States/Countries/Cities? I feel like the "Bros" are underestimating the web development knowledge of some of the users on this site.

39. Todd

That's an incorrect assumption on your part. The framework behind the forum simply doesn't support it yet and I don't feel like applying a temporary hack.

40. trginter

trginter Dec 1, 2008 Michigan
    Beer Trader

That's too bad.

Glad the "Tweet" buttons work at the bottom of the pages though.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe