Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Welcome to the new BeerAdvocate Community!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by BeerAdvocate, Feb 22, 2012.

1. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Feb 27, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I thought this is just temporary "beta" version. BA isn't going to look like this from here on out I hope?
  2. stupac2

stupac2 Feb 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Most recent unread != most recent. Being able to see the most recent unread post is a huge improvement. (I had actually written a greasemonkey script to attempt to recreate "see most recent unread". This is better.)
  3. ballz50401

ballz50401 Jul 29, 2009 Iowa

Very cool!!!;)
  4. Retsinis

Retsinis Sep 25, 2009 California

This will take some getting use too, but look forward to some of these changes.
  5. GehenHerzog

GehenHerzog Jan 24, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Once the colors get implemented, it will be much better. The new forum is a huge improvement.

I hope our profiles come back though. So I can still remember who I've traded with.

Also...you can create a profile here if you just go to http://beeradvocate.com/community/account/personal-details and fill out "About Me"
  6. charliedvrs

charliedvrs Sep 29, 2009 Massachusetts

Glad the boards back.

I'm going to echo others in saying that nested replies would be awesome, as well as some more information under member name/avatar (town, state, maybe joined date for ease of troll spotting).
    andylipp, Jeffo, libbey and 1 other person like this.
  7. Boto

Boto Apr 26, 2003 Connecticut

I really didn't like the nested replies.
    yamar68 likes this.
  8. black13

black13 Apr 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

This is what I was thinking. I was actually a contributing member of my family.
  9. Pennywise

Pennywise Dec 25, 2000 Germany

10. beertunes

beertunes Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

I vote for Nested replies, more replies per page (I really liked the one big page of the old system) and location tags. Other than that, I think I'll adapt OK (if I can figure out how to keep my font, size and color, so that I don't have to reset each time. But that's just me).
    andylipp and Jeffo like this.
  11. GehenHerzog

Beer Trader

A little icon so you can skip to your own last post of the thread, would be nice as well.
    Spoiler tags for photos, so it doesn't slow down certain threads.
  12. BumpkinBrewer

BumpkinBrewer Jan 6, 2010 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

peeks in slowly

Can't wait for the color scheme to be normalized but...
    Cheers to having BA back!!!!
  13. charliedvrs

I should clarify. When I say nested replies I mean having quote boxes inside a quote box. When I reply to yours I only see your post, and not my original. Makes following a conversation a bit more difficult. I know it can be a bit much when people are going back and forth so maybe max it out at 3 or 4. Actually, let me try something...

Looks like it does work it just doesn't do it automatically when you reply to a post with a quote in it.
  14. Imstillthegman

Imstillthegman Jan 30, 2006 Delaware
    Beer Trader

So glad it's finally back! Now to adjust...
  15. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Apr 30, 2011 Texas

Guess it is back to business as normal. Congrats on getting over the hump guys! :rolleyes::D
  16. stupac2

stupac2 Feb 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

That's a perfectly reasonable request, I think. I know PHPBB defaults to letting you continue quoting forever, but other forums I've used are like this and only go one-deep. I could see allowing it to go back a few being useful, but as long as there's a link to whatever you're quoting, so you can see what they quoted, and so on, it shouldn't be a huge deal.
  17. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

Yes, please enable this feature again if it can be done.
    BrianTheBrewer30 likes this.
  18. johnnyboy76

johnnyboy76 Nov 20, 2010 Oregon

The smileys are cool! How do you insert one?
  19. abcramer

abcramer Feb 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

Welcome back!!!
  20. GehenHerzog

Beer Trader

I hope the HADS/REVIEWS return to where I can view them. Not sure how that's going to work
    acurtis likes this.
  21. igor

igor Nov 7, 2009 Minnesota

Looks awesome! Sweet!
  22. zealouszymurgist

zealouszymurgist Dec 29, 2005 Hawaii

The reason I used to love this site was the "indentations" in the forums. BA was the only one like that and it was so easy to follow. Now its just like any other site. Doubt I will visist as often.
    callmescraps likes this.
  23. Todd

Todd Founder Aug 23, 1996 Colorado
    Staff Moderator Site Editor Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

They'll return. Things will be a bit disjointed visually for a bit, but we'll eventually sync things up.
    acurtis likes this.
  24. steamwhistle123

steamwhistle123 Apr 16, 2011 Ontario (Canada)

what time zone are the time stamps from.?
  25. CBlack85

CBlack85 Jul 12, 2009 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Not sure that I like the new look. I always enjoyed the way that responses were attached to the original comment. Or maybe I am just resistant to change...
    callmescraps and beertunes like this.
  26. charliedvrs

You can change the time stamps on your preferences page to match your timezone.
  27. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Jan 24, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

Hope it gets back soon, I have beers to add!
  28. Grohnke

Grohnke Sep 15, 2009 Illinois

You can still access your old profile from the main home page. A little copy paste action will take care of your issue.
  29. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Sep 4, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Yeah I don't like the fact that it takes up the whole width because of my 22" screen. Oh well I'll get used to it. Glad to see things are getting back up and running again!
  30. GehenHerzog

Beer Trader

Found it :cool:
  31. beertunes

Beer Trader

Is there a way to search for specific members like there used to be? I just tried looking up a couple and failed.
  32. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

If you know the exact name of the member, it will come up on the right side of the screen when you search it. If you misspell though, I think right now you're SOL.
  33. silentjay

silentjay Nov 25, 2008 Massachusetts

well at least they won't let us use comic sans..... Vinnie would be upset, but thats okay.
  34. silentjay

glad to see Shogo survived a week without the forums. I wonder what he did with all of his free time? build a model airplane? find the cure for cancer?
  35. silentjay

I kind of liked how responses to one's comments were indented underneath the original post. It created more of a conversation instead of searching through pages of simultaneous conversations to see if anyone responded directly to you.
    beertunes likes this.
  36. beertunes

Beer Trader

Ahh Ok, I was searching in the wrong places (story of my life really). Now if I can figure out how to keep the font I want....
  37. Keith238

Keith238 Jul 31, 2007 New Jersey

I can't seem to find a way into my old profile. How did you do it?
  38. Photekut

Photekut Mar 31, 2006 Tennessee

Go to the old main page and search for yourself in the search field.
  39. andrewinski1

andrewinski1 Apr 14, 2009 New Hampshire

Just go to beeradvocate.com and search your user name.
    DRGinLBC likes this.
  40. Keith238

Keith238 Jul 31, 2007 New Jersey

Ahhh, never occurred to me. Thank you.

On a side note, I also miss the 'nesting' style of the old forum. I'd like to see that return if possible. It definitely makes 'conversations' easier to follow.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!