Well done Sierra Nevada! (Drinking Buddies mixed 12 pack)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Troutbeerbum, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (72) Dec 5, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

The Drinking Buddies mix twelve pack of Torpedo,Pale, Sidecar,and Tropical arrived at my local grocery store last week. Whoever came up with this combo deserves a promotion. I'm really hoping Sierra Nevada, distributors and retailers continue to have this on the shelves as a year round item. Absolutely genius. Another winner from Sierra Nevada!

2. MikeP64

MikeP64 Aspirant (220) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

3. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (544) Dec 12, 2014 California

4. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Defender (614) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Not an excusable replacement for the fall pack!

Need Flipside, Tumbler, Vienna and maybe their Porter in a twelve pack. Then I'll be happy. There's always next year !

5. dcall384

dcall384 Aspirant (249) Aug 9, 2011 Indiana

As I said in the other thread, 4 beers I can buy all the time. Lame.

6. MikeP64

MikeP64 Aspirant (220) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

THIS!!!! exactly this!

DISKORD, HermitDan, Badfish and 7 others like this.
  7. BillManley

BillManley Aspirant (247) Jul 2, 2008 Minnesota

I mentioned in another thread, that I'm so used to internet-based criticism, that I genuinely can't tell if this is a sarcastic post or not. I'm going to choose to believe it isn't and say thank you.

As to why... again, I mentioned elsewhere,, but we constantly hear from beer drinkers that still do not know that Sierra Nevada makes anything other than Pale Ale.

I know that seems far-fetched to the BA crowd, but it's true. We need to do better to introduce some of those core beers to a wider audience. A pack like "Drinking Buddies" does just that, and allows the opportunity for people who don't yet know about these beers the opportunity to try them alongside some of their favorite beers.

8. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,343) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Not far fetched, but still hard to believe. I can understand and appreciate it too. Just not at the expense of the fall pack. It's going to be a long winter waiting on Vienna and Tumbler to come back around.

ovaltine, HermitDan, SABERG and 7 others like this.
  9. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Initiate (187) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

I can respect this. Looking back at it, if I was a newer craft beer drinker I'd pick this up.

BWood and Gemini6 like this.
  10. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,835) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

I suppose it does seem we wear rose tinted glasses and practice tunnel vision around here. I'm all in favor of your company expanding the customer base but must admit to a selfish motive as well. If you folks thrive then you can afford to spin off stuff I really want like Kolsch and Kellerbier.

11. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (248) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

So I start a thread about this and it gets deleted because it was too similar to the other thread but yet this one gets to go strong? Oookaaayy...

I totally get why SN is doing this but I just wish it wasn't at the expense of the Fall pack and if you're going to go this route why not promote some of the other beers? Sidecar and Tropical Torpedo are quite new so they have a buzz already while beers like poor Kellerweis just sit and collect dust...

12. BillManley

BillManley Aspirant (247) Jul 2, 2008 Minnesota

True story. The better that beers like Pale Ale do, the more room we have to make the other styles.

Badfish, bret717, Brolo75 and 3 others like this.
  13. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Zealot (528) Dec 19, 2006 California

I can't believe that Sierra Nevada is trying to reach a wider audience and stay in business. The balls on you people.

14. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (72) Dec 5, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

Sierra Nevada Bill, that was a genuine comment. I'm a faithful SN drinker, it fits my budget and it's good beer.The format is a combination I like. I drink small brewery stuff, but to be honest, it's overpriced and everyone is doing the same thing. If folks want to call it lame,so be it. I'll keep buying it and you can keep dropping $4.50 on 16 oz cans of liquid trend.

15. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (197) Mar 28, 2011 New York

Why not throw in an obscure core beer like porter, Stout or kellerweiss in this pack of you want to introduce people to other beers besides PA?

16. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (3,579) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia

The fall variety packs are my go-to tailgate boxes, it will be missed this year.

Badfish and Benjolovesbeer like this.
  17. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,337) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Honestly im still scared of Sidecar because my local store had a recall for broken glass in the beer a long while back. Still hesitant.

HermitDan and Gemini6 like this.
  18. ecpho

I'm more upset by the tangerine intentionally added than anything else.

19. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,256) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

"Your local store" had a recall for just Sidecar? You're not referring to Sierra Nevada's January, 2017 recall? That recall, for bottles manufactured by Owens-Illinois (largest beer bottle supplier in the US- ), included Pale Ale, Torpedo Extra IPA, Tropical Torpedo. Beer Camp Golden IPA, Otra Vez, Nooner and Hop Hunter IPA, as well as Sidecar.

O-I manufactured bottles used by Boston Beer Co
    . have also been recalled in the past. Check any beer bottle in your store and chances are good you'll find the Owen-Illinois "O-I" logo embossed around the base of the bottle.

Harrison8, HermitDan, FBarber and 4 others like this.
  20. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Crusader (701) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Maybe I'm naive, but there's 5300 (probably more now) breweries in the country, and craft beer seems to be fairly ubiquitous at this point.

In 2017, are people who have no idea you make anything other than Pale Ale your target audience?

I imagine they're your average Bud Light drinker who occasionally picks up something "better"...I wonder how many sales are generated from this type of beer drinker...

...then again, your average beer geek may not be buying this mix pack either, because they're always picking up their favorite local IPA/IPA of the moment...

21. Benjolovesbeer

Benjolovesbeer Zealot (506) Nov 9, 2016 Michigan

@ Sierra Bill does this mean no fall pack this year? Because I really was looking forward to Tumbler.

BasterdInABasket likes this.
  22. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (223) Sep 7, 2006 Kentucky

I'm an OG in the craft world and I love the idea (though I will certainly miss the fall-pack). I like mixing up what I drink and being able to buy a mix pack of these beers, all four of which I like and three of which I love, is fantastic for someone like me.

Again, I will certainly miss the fall pack and Tumbler, but I really dig this idea as it allows me to get all the hoppy variety I want w/out buying sixers of each. This combined with the SN Oktoberfest, which is once again fantastic, will keep me happy until Celebration comes around. Cheers!

zid and Troutbeerbum like this.
  23. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,370) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Based on some proprietary marketing data collected for Sam Adams and discussed on here not too many years ago, they found, at that time, the most frequent craft beer purchaser was an AAL drinker who would buy those occasional six pack of something sales as a special treat.

Yeah, most of us on here are far from being the typical purchaser of beer. We are not notorious for brand loyalty....

24. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (548) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Glass molds wear out. They lose shape and go out of spec. You can be pretty sure that there were several profanities exchanged because Owens glass failed QA/QC massively and sent out of spec glass to be used for a nationally distributed brewery, and those profanities are launched because no one (as you make clear) faults the original manufacturer of said glass as the culprit except for the brewery that has to eat the costs of recalling all of that product.

25. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Crusader (701) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

The landscape has changed dramatically in the last two or three years. For example, the number of breweries in the US was 3780 in 2014, 4548 in 2015, and at the end of last year 5301.

It was fairly common knowledge here, and correct me if I'm wrong, that beers like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Boston Lager were neck in neck for best selling individual brands (seasonal sales aside). But with the IPA style clearly being dominant in the craft beer category, and local sales jumping, I imagine what held true even two years ago is no longer true today.

In addition to that, IRI data is nice, but I do recall a number saying on-premise sales had jumped 60% last year. There's so many local breweries now I'm not sure how accurate the IRI data really is. I also wonder what percentage of Pale Ale sales are on draft, sold at chain restaurants/airports...etc.

26. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,446) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

So what do you think Matt, another reason to can beers vs. bottle?:wink:

Cheers!

Badfish likes this.
  27. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,337) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Well im not in the know of popular glsss manufacturers lol. Im referring to around when sidecar first came out and i was working at a liqour store and we had a lot of cases just coming in and needed to send them back because of possible glass in the bottles. Was never told how are why.

28. MostlyNorwegian

Spoiler alert.
    I'm going to be snarky.

Curiosity is a thing.

29. MostlyNorwegian

For everyday beers. Full support.
    For beers that are getting shipped any length of time. Full support. Glass weighs many times over what the contents are. Cuts down on fuel consumption. Road wear. equipment wear. So many ways it just makes economic sense to do it.
    More succinctly. Shotgun fridays are a lot easier when pulled from a can.

Squire and JackHorzempa like this.
  30. Klister

Klister Aspirant (238) Oct 27, 2010 Maine

zero interest

DISKORD and TonyLema1 like this.
  31. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,370) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

No question there have been major shifts in sales patterns, but none of those mean there are not still lots of AAL drinkiers, say those who drink Coors all the time, who are picking up some flavorful beer. That segment may have gotten smaller, as suggested by some of the examples you describe but that doesn't mean there aren't still many buyers who fit the same pattern they did 3-5 years ago. The market place as a whole has gotten more complex but some people still fit their long term patterns.

AlcahueteJ and JackHorzempa like this.
  32. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,446) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

There is no doubt that the craft beer market is dynamic.

For those of you with interests in ‘labeling’ and marketing of beers I would strongly suggest you watch this recent presentation by two Nielsen marketing folks:

Lucular and donspublic like this.
  33. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,256) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Not necessarily:
    MAY 21, 2011
    "(Boston Beer Co.) issued a brief statement this week saying that it will receive a windfall of $20.5 million by settling all recall-related claims with its former glass supplier...
    In a recent annual report, the company said it spent nearly $9.5 million on recall-related costs back in 2008. If the Owens-Illinois settlement truly comes out to more than twice what the company originally spent to handle the recall..."

I image negotiations between SN and OI might have happened, looking for a similar outcome - I notice that no stories on the SN recall mentioned that Owens-Illinois was the bottle manufacturer (I only knew because I looked at the bottles when the recall happened).

#33 jesskidden, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    DonicBoom likes this.
  34. Averwo

Averwo Disciple (371) Jul 4, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Naw. There is still plenty of Tropical Torpedo and Sidecar from this winter on the shelves. I didn't buy that and I'm not buying this.

35. ecpho

Maybe related to the discussion about what new craft drinkers are interested in - there's a public poll on SN's Facebook page asking people to vote on the next spring seasonal. There are only 3 choices - DIPA, IPL and a raspberry wit (!?). Shows they are still pushing hops (that raspberry wit has no chance)
    There is some push back in the comments section from all of the IPAs on the shelves. At least some others besides us here want to see something besides an IPA/IPL.

36. MostlyNorwegian

That is the course of action I would have taken if I were the brewery holding the bag for someone else's problem and having to dump my product from their vessels. But, the actual point I was making was the consumer is going to dump on the brewery for bad glass in their beer. Hence the snarky response to a store employee lacking the curiosity in getting to the bottom of why they STILL do not want to drink SN product months after the fact when all they have to do is find out the bottle supplier is the one that fuct up.

JackHorzempa and jesskidden like this.
  37. crisis1290

crisis1290 Initiate (198) Dec 5, 2015 South Carolina

Very simple reason as to why Sierra is selling this package. Tropical Torpedo and Side Car are not very good in regards to sales. In fact they might be tanking.
    One reason the numbers suck is due to the recall that occurred when this beer was initially released. This recall caused major problems for the brewery, the whole salers , the distributers and the other retail locations /grocery stores/bars/restaurants and so on.
    In reality, both beers are not that exciting and people are not that hyped up over another Tropical IPA or and Orange Pale. I am a huge fan of Sierra. Sierra is one of the craft beer companies that should be on the Mount Crushmore of Craft Beers. My guess, Sierra Pale was one of the first craft beers that many of us tried back in the day. Sierra produces some amazing products and at times, they push the limit , in terms of creativity. Unfortunately , not with these two , which are now year around core products. I wonder if some of our craft beer breweries take the consumer for granted in terms of not being very creative. In our area, we are seeing a big push towards local/regional products, but in the lobg run Sierra will be back and they will come back stong !

Badfish and johnnybgood1999 like this.
  38. crisis1290

crisis1290 Initiate (198) Dec 5, 2015 South Carolina

Thank you for this post. A vast amount of info available for those who watch !

39. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (248) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Odd that this pack is not featured on their site but is in the beer finder. I am starting to see it pop up near me and the more that I think about it, it would be an interesting pack to grab to do some side by side tastings with...

40. i_run_far

i_run_far Initiate (69) Aug 11, 2016 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

It's there, http://www.sierranevada.com/release-dates

I'll be passing on this one, just like all the other mixed packs they've done this year.