Went to Aldi's and picked up a couple beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jonpk, May 6, 2019.

1. Jonpk

Jonpk Initiate (15) Apr 14, 2019 Florida

The first one is FeldschloBchen Maibock. Labeled as a seasonal German craft beer. The second is Imperium, a Belgian lager. Any comments?

2. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,226) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

While not typical to a Bavarian Maibock, the Feldschlößchen is a decent beer -- especially at the Aldi price-point.

I actually forgot I had a few cans left from a couple weeks ago and am drinking one now; malty sweet up front, in a good German malt lusciousness, finishing very dry -- more so than a lot of other Maibocks. Also a bit hot at 7.2 ABV.

Not familiar with the Imperium.

#2 steveh, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Ford, Milktoast75, FBarber and 2 others like this.
  3. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Aspirant (207) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

ALDI has some good German beers for a good price.

I wasn't a fan of Imperium but I think that's one my friend liked.

Wernesgrüner is quite a good Pilsner and it has higher turnover than imported Pilsners at the normal beer stores so I can regularly get it more fresh. Plus it's the cost of a Budweiser six pack.

They have seasonal beers from Feldschlössen periodically around the year. I know of a Schwarzbier, Urbock, Dunkelweizen, and I think another couple that I can't remember.
    I like their Maibock this year. My wife picked me up a case of it and it's been drinking fairly well.

FBarber and JimboBrews54 like this.
  4. Roadkizzle

I bought a six pack of the Hofbrau Maibock because I was seeing a lot of people here talking about it.
    I'd take this year's Feldschlössen Maibock any time over the two HB Maibock's I've drank so far.
    The HB have got a big alcohol bite along with the sweet caramelly malt.

The sweet bready pale lager is what I know of most with Maibock's.

Are Maibock's even Bavarian in origin? I thought they were more part of the Dunkel Bock tradition like was known from Einbeck while Bavaria had the Doppelbocks.

5. Buckeye55

Buckeye55 Poo-Bah (5,860) Jan 11, 2019 North Carolina
    Society

I've had the Imperium, it was ok, I'd rate it little over 3 out of 5.

6. steveh

Went to Aldi's...

You aren't a Chicago transplant, are you? :grin:

gopens44 and FBarber like this.
  7. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,624) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Good to know because I was there the other day and looked up ratings for it, but those aren’t always real useful when it comes to lagers. Think they were $6 for the 16 oz 4 pack

Buckeye55 likes this.
  8. JimboBrews54

JimboBrews54 Champion (859) Apr 22, 2018 Michigan
    Trader

Aldi makes beer?

9. Buckeye55

Society

Yea, they mainly do collaborations with SN

KarlHungus, BruChef and JimboBrews54 like this.
  10. rgordon

rgordon Savant (960) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I agree, the Maibock is pretty good. I'll get some tomorrow. I've not had the Imperium either. I usually pick up a couple 4-packs of the German seasonals and drink through them slowly. Great price.

Buckeye55 likes this.
  11. Roadkizzle

My mother in law ALWAYS pluralizes ALDI (or uses the possessive I guess) even when she's just talking about one store.
    My wife and I have never been able to figure out why she always says Aldi's.

But she has lived in Texas her whole life even though she was born in El Paso so has some more Mexican mannerisms.

They sell beers. And they sell beers that I can't get anywhere else. I never said that ALDI makes the beers only that they have them so that I can buy them.

They are the only stores in Texas that carry Feldschlössen, Wernesgrüner, Imperium, Holland, Broegel, and a few others. So yes they do have those brands of beers.

12. Ceddd99

Ceddd99 Initiate (147) May 14, 2018 Michigan
    Trader

People do that all the time, Kroger's, Meijer's it drives me nuts. Even people who work there say it how do you not know the name of the place you work?

WesMantooth and JimboBrews54 like this.
  13. rgordon

rgordon Savant (960) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I read the other day that Aldi is the first name of the owner of Aldi and who is the brother of the founder of Trader Joe's. I've also heard people refute the connection.

Buckeye55 likes this.
  14. Buckeye55

Society

Theodor Paul "Theo" Albrecht (German: [ˈalbʁɛçt]; 28 March 1922 – 24 July 2010)[1]was a German entrepreneur, who in 2010 was ranked by Forbes as the 31st richest person in the world, with a net worth of $16.7 billion.[2]He owned and was the CEO of the Aldi Nord discount supermarket chain. In the US he owned the Trader Joe's specialty grocery store chain. His brother Karl Albrecht owned the Aldi Süd discount supermarket chain. The two chains originally were a single family enterprise until a friendly division of assets in 1960. Aldi Süd operates the Aldi groceries in the United States. Aldi and Trader Joe's, while owned by the brothers, have separate and distinct ownership and operations.

15. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,866) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

We pluralize it as well, hard to break.

Buckeye55 likes this.
  16. Buckeye55

Society

I am guilty of this also. Now that I know it bugs people, I will do it more(s)

17. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,824) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

Those are WX brands (formerly known as Winery Exchange/World Brews), the US brewed ones tend to be brewed at Genesee, but IIRC they've also done some a City brewery. They sort of specialize in private label brands, working as middlemen between the brewery and, usually, chain stores, giving the chain "exclusive" brands depending on region. (Looks like the individual brand websites are defunct.) They do use a number of different 'dba', like "Custom Tap Brews" .

18. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,558) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I think it's pretty standard when business is or sounds like a person's name. We have a local drug store chain around here called Lewis Drug, and a lot of people call it Lewis's.

Buckeye55 and meefmoff like this.
  19. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,866) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Actually I’ve never given it a thought,,,, before I read this thread. Even if I know better I’ll still say to my wife need to go to Aldis.

Buckeye55 likes this.
  20. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (713) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

The Aldi here carries no beer, the Trader Joe and Costco don’t either.

Enjoy

21. bbtkd

Society Trader

Probably against state law, or requires a license they can't/won't get.

FBarber and Buckeye55 like this.
  22. Buckeye55

Society

I now know three stores not to visit if I'm in PA

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  23. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,511) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Trader Joe's actual name IS Trader Joe's... :wink:

24. steveh

That's not pluralization, it's possessive. Big thing in Chicago to add an apostrophe 's' to things -- just because.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  25. bbtkd

Society Trader

Like da' Bear's?

26. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,511) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

FIFY.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  27. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,098) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

A given Aldi, Trader Joe or Costco store would need to obtain a beer retailer license akin to what the supermarkets near me obtain to sell beer. I can purchase beer locally from a Wegman's, Acme and Giant supermarkets. There is even a Wawa in PA (near Chads Ford) that has the license to sell beer:

https://www.pennlive.com/food/2017/02/wawa_is_selling_beer_at_one_pa.html

It appears that shortly a Wawa in Philly will be obtaining a beer retailer license:

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2019/04/01/wawa-beer-philadelphia/

Cheers!

P.S. For those of you unfamiliar with the chain of Wawa it is a small-ish convenience store (and some sell gasoline).

Shanex and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  28. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,624) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

I always assumed it was a midwest thing. JC Penny’s was always a big one. It’s weirdly applied though. Never heard a Wal Mart’s.

#30 WesMantooth, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Buckeye55, PapaGoose03 and FBarber like this.
  29. miwestcoaster

miwestcoaster Savant (955) Jan 19, 2013 Michigan

30. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (713) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Jack,

This can only be a good thing. As more and more stores sell beer the prices have to get competitive, yes?

I can pretty much guess as prices come down stores will sell more.

Enjoy

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  31. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,098) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

You let me know if you witness this. So far I personally have not seen prices at PA retailers as low as they are in our neighboring state of Delaware.

Cheers!

nc41 and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  32. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,824) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

OTOH, in the northeast/mid-Atlantic, there's the Wegmans Food Markets (no apostrophe) chain, operated by the Wegman family. But folks feel sorry for them, so they give 'em the apostrophe anyway...like this Forbes (Forbe's? Forbes'?) editor - This Fall, New York City Will Finally Experience The Joy Of Wegman's

Ain't just Chicago or even the ol' (< yes, apostrophe!) USA, fellas - happens elsewhere, too - this Brit had one answer-
    BBC - The self-proclaimed "grammar vigilante" goes out undercover in the dead of night correcting street signs and shop fronts where the apostrophes are in the wrong place.

They tried to do one at the Aldi brewery, but the Sierra Nevada crew didn't bring enough quarters to use the various equipment.

#34 jesskidden, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Ozzylizard, cavedave, desint and 6 others like this.
  33. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Disciple (393) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Wish the Aldi I go to here in PA carried beer. PA sucks as far as actually obtaining beer as well as the pricing. Fortunately, I've noticed some of the local breweries are selling 4 packs of 16 oz cans between $10-12. Can't beat that IMO.

34. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 Devotee (453) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

Well I’ll be damned.
    Just looked up my local Aldi and lo and behold, they sell wine and beer.
    Now a reason (see beer list above) to swing in for a visit. Wife has always wanted to give them a try for groceries.
    Gosh, now I want to go for some reason. Wink. Wink.
    Thanks for the post @Jonpk! And all the beer info fellow BAs.

35. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,339) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

I haven’t set a foot in the US in many years so just pretend I’m dense, but do LIDL also exist on your side of the pond?

I’ve had a few worthy and fairly cheap German beers, from various style but haven’t had much luck with my local ALDI.

Buckeye55 likes this.
  36. Buckeye55

Society

HAHA, Too funny, but unfortunately probably true.

PapaGoose03 and Shanex like this.
  37. Buckeye55

Society

LIDL has recently moved in to central NC, haven't had a chance to check them out yet

Shanex likes this.
  38. Roadkizzle

I know there are some LIDL stores on the east coast. Their US headquarters is in Arlington Virginia (they had some job postings that kept on showing up for Arlington TX but they were actually for VA).

But there aren't any LIDL stores in Texas that I know of.

When I lived in Germany for a summer the closest grocery store was a LIDL and they carried the worst beer I've ever had... But I think some of the others weren't as bad but I don't remember any good ones there.
    I don't remember what beers were available in the German ALDI though. But that was ALDI Nord and ALDI Süd runs the stores in the US.

Shanex likes this.