Went to Italy on vacation, had epiphany on German beer

Discussion in 'Germany' started by boddhitree, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boddhitree

boddhitree Pooh-Bah (1,765) Apr 13, 2008 Germany
    Pooh-Bah

2. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2005 Germany
    In Memoriam

Well, chalk it up to my conservative nature but I don't need that kind of variety. Too me this sounds like a bunch of collegue kids brewing up something for a hazing ritual. Should we ever meet I promise to try but to be honest, I'm very skeptical.

3. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Uh, I guess that depends on the definition of "it." If it is the Sam Adams Hallertauer IPA -- eh. It's Oktoberfest time -- more Märzen! :slight_smile:

4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

So, heretofore I was not familiar with the Saphir hop. I was able to find this information via a web search (brew-dudes.com):

“This week, I saw a few craft beers brewed using only Saphir hops. I had not heard of them before so I did a little digging to find more information. Unfortunately, there is not a lot out there. I might be pulling the trigger on this post a little too soon, but I can always add to it later once I find more.

Much of the information I found was in German. I used some translator sites but you know how that goes – they weren’t very good.

Saphir hops are a new breed that has been bred as an alternative to the Hallertauer Mittlefrüh variety. It is more disease and pest resistant.

It was bred with a Hallertau parent and probably a long list of other hops to make it more commercially viable.

I wish I had a year it was made publicly available, but I found no information. I am guessing 2005 at the earliest.

Origin: Germany
    Aroma: Refined, sweet, mild clean citrus, hint of tangerine
    Alpha Acid: 2.5 – 4.5 %
    Typical Usage: Aroma
    Beer Styles: Plisners, German lagers, Belgian whites”

It appears that this hop goes well in Pilsners. Victory Brewery had Saphir Pils available at their brewpub in 2008-2009. Unfortunately I ‘missed’ this beer; I really would have liked to have tried it. Based upon the reviews it sounds tasty in a Pilsner.

Using Sapir in a Hefeweizen sounds very, very interesting. Victory made a couple of versions: CBC Saphir Weiss, Saphir Weiss (maybe the same beer?). Also Mahr’s makes Mahr's Saphir Weiss. Since I liked the collaborative Brooklyn-Schneider Hopfenweisse I suspect I will really like a Saphir Weiss. I will definitely keep an eye out for Mahr’s Saphir Weiss. I have yet to drink a Mahr’s beer that I didn’t like.

The other German brewed beers with Saphir sound interesting too:

· Freigeist Deutscher Porter Saphir Edition
    · Schönramer Saphir Bock

Scott, thanks again for providing the information on Saphir beers!

Prost!

Jack

5. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

You asked: “How did you ever hear of them (Waldhaus)?

I previously provided a link to a blog that described the Victory Brewery Tettnanger Pilsner ‘experiment’. In that blog write-up, I took note that Ron Barchet (co-owner/brewer of Victory) was ‘inspired ‘by Waldhaus Pils when he was in Germany many years ago. So, I thought to myself: I never heard of Waldhaus brewery; I wonder who they are? I went to their website and took note that they had a “Neu” beer called Ohne Filter Extra Herb which seemed interesting (I say “seemed” since I can’t read German). I figured I would ask the BAs who live in Germany (and can read German) about this particular beer.

Based upon your post it sound like Waldhaus brewery is an ‘interesting’ brewery. If you ever get a chance to try any of their beers (particularly Ohne Filter Extra Herb) please report back. I would greatly like to hear your opinion on Waldhaus beers.

Prost!

6. Bierman9

Bierman9 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,669) Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

7. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

I read your review of the Victory Sapphire Edelbock and I actually salivated.

I am very sorry that I missed that beer. The combination of “wonderful foundation of bready malt” and “Hops are top-shelf” sound absolutely awesome!

Prost!

Bierman9 likes this.
  8. PancakeMcWaffles

PancakeMcWaffles Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2012 Germany

I am currently drinking the "Waldhaus Ohne Filter", the "Extra herb" seems to be quite rare, couldn't find that, although the supermarket had pretty much all of their beers, will check again next week and see if they have the extra herb.
    Gotta say, their beer ain't bad, I'm very excited what kind of hops the extra herb has, because the normal one already has a strong hop flavour compared to many other german "naturtrüb pilsners"...
    Here's the review: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9510/17232
    (I'm not a good reviewer (yet) :confused: )

Cheers!

boddhitree likes this.
  9. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

Thanks for your post and review of Waldhaus Ohne Filter. It sounds like a tasty “well balanced” Kellerbier to me.

If you ever get your hands on the Waldhaus Ohne Filter Extra Herb please post on that as well.

Prost!

10. PancakeMcWaffles

I got some news on the whole thing, I recently found out (and tasted some of their beers) about this brewery:
    http://www.cambabavaria.de/cambabavaria-online/index.php
    If you're interested in german brews of the "craft beer disciplines" try to get some of their beers, I really liked their IPA, still have a bottle of their Stout here!

boddhitree likes this.
  11. herrburgess

herrburgess Grand Pooh-Bah (3,053) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Looks interesting. How is their "regular" lineup? (I don't trust a brewer -- especially a German one -- that can't make a good Helles or Maerzen :wink: )

12. PancakeMcWaffles

13. boddhitree

Pooh-Bah

Thanks for posting the link. Their line-up of Ales, Porter, Nelson Weisse, Holsfass gereifte Bier (wooden barrel aged) like their Imperial Stout, Bourbon Dopplebock & Dunklelager, their Stefan Dettl Lovebeer, which they describe as a, I quote,
    - Helles Weizenvollbier
    - Rein obergärige Bierhefe (Pure ale yeast beer)
    - Spezieller amerikanischer Aroma Hopfen (Simcoe)
    - 5,2% vol. alc., Stammwürze 12,8%
    - Mango, Blutorange und exotische Fruchtaromen im Antrunk (Initial tastes: Mango, Blood orange, and exotic fruit aromas)
    - Im Geschmack eine ausgewoge kräftige und spritzige Zitrus-Grapefruitnote (The main taste of a well-balanced and tangy citrus/grapefruit notes)
    - Im Nachtrunk deutlich blumige Hopfennote (Aftertaste of clear flowery hop-notes)

They sell all these online at Biershop Bayern.

I may be ordering some when the Finanzamt sends me my refund.

14. PancakeMcWaffles

Having the "Camba Bavaria Stout" at the moment, rich flavour, thick mouthfeel, very balanced roasted malts, slightly smokey. I like it :rolling_eyes:
    As soon as not as many beers by them are "sold out" I will order some... I should really try to find an Imperial Stout bottle, Biershop Bayern doesn't sell it :slight_frown:
    Cheers

boddhitree likes this.
  15. boddhitree

Pooh-Bah

So all is not hopeless for German brewers ingenuity and creativity, it seems.

16. herrburgess

herrburgess Grand Pooh-Bah (3,053) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

17. PancakeMcWaffles

They do! Looking at the dates of the articles it seems to be a rather old story now, but I have only recently stumbled upon these "news":
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2011/feb/14/stone-american-europe/
    Stone brewing has plans to open a brewery in Europe!
    http://www.stonebrew.com/news/091222apr/index.html
    US-craft beer coming over to Europe, maybe not as good as Europe developing its craft beer scene on its own, but hey, Stone seems to have pretty awesome beer!
    Cheers!

18. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2005 Germany
    In Memoriam

That would be the modern day equivalent of Napoleon invading Russia... I guess a brewpub type of operation in a major city could have some success but with pretty much 90% of the pubs tied to a brewery there's no way in Hell they are gonna get a brewery off the ground over here unless they manage to buy up a decent sized business with an existing network.

19. boddhitree

Pooh-Bah

...which is why Germany wouldn't be the place they'd put it. If they were smart, Holland or Belgium, hell even Denmark is more interesting beer-wise for creativity.

20. PancakeMcWaffles

I don't even think that they would have a huge "keg-business" here, as Stahlstrum said, most bars are tied to certain breweries. I would think of it more as a way of distributing their beers easier and cheaper in Europe.
    I think they'd never locate it in Bavaria, Belgium/Netherlands/Denmark are probably a good guess, but I think the UK might actually be a good spot for them.
    Maybe they should take their time with this project, Europe, at least most Germans ain't ready for that stuff yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.