We're Having an Emoji-tional Day.

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,578) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

We missed World Emoji Day (July 17), but today we show our love for emoji. :heart_eyes:

For years we've been forced to use the same twelve default "smilies" when posting in the forums and private conversations. They were old, boring, low quality, and didn't use standard emoji shortcode. They were :poop:! I had no love for them. :neutral_face: In fact, I hated them. :angry:

But no more! :grin:

This week I've been testing out some emoji sets and have finally settled on the following...
    • We're now using Twemoji from Twitter's open source emoji project, which currently supports Emoji 5.0. (Thanks, Twitter. :kissing_heart:)
    • Emoji are in Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) format so they look crisp and clean; zoom into an emoji and check it out. :sunglasses:
    • All emoji now support shortcode standards. You don't need to worry about this if using the Smilies option in the message editor. :nerd:
    • Emoticon support will eventually be phased out in favor of shortcode, and to avoid erroneously forcing the conversion of certain punctuation, number, and letter combos to emoji when not wanted. :grimacing:
    Emoji Overload! :crazy_face:
    Yeah. We've added a ton of new emoji, but don't worry. For starters, you don't have to use them. But for those who want to, we've broken them into tabs in the message editor to help you ease into them. In the first tab you'll notice the original gang of twelve faces (but updated), followed by new faces, and then some random emoji that we've added just for fun. And hopefully this will deter some of you noobs who can't follow our no memes rules. Post an emoji instead! :popcorn:

Anyway. Use them, or don't. But please refer to our Code of Conduct for general usage guidelines, which I'm pretty sure I just broke with this post. :cold_sweat:

Cheers! :beer:

2. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,311) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

To be totally honest Todd, I'll miss the precious emojis, especially the smartass green guy. I thought they were overall better, or maybe I need some times to get acclimated to the new ones...

This one is good, and probably the only one I'll use. Cheers! :beers:

beertunes likes this.
  3. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,480) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

When they started changing a few days ago, I noted that they were pretty small, and I was having trouble picking out the wink. I mentioned this and now note they are larger again - thanks. I too liked some of the old ones, particularly wink with the head tilted. The new wink :wink: looks more like a wince, perhaps poked in the eye. Probably no good way to change one though and it's great having a palate of them. We do need more beer colors though - at least a stout! :beer:

Shanex likes this.
  4. PrimustheOne

PrimustheOne Initiate (72) Nov 23, 2016 New Hampshire

It would be great if you could add a thumbs up emogi!

5. officerbill

officerbill Aspirant (266) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

How about adding a “thumbs up” emoji for when we really like a post or want to reply to, and show support for, one part of a comment?

mickyge and Todd like this.
  6. Todd

:+1: Done!

Also added support for:

:-1: (thumbs down)
    :ok_hand: (okay)
    :clap: (clap)
    :heavymetal: (sign of the horns / heavy metal)
    :fire: (fire)

Shanex, Harrison8, loebrygg and 9 others like this.
  7. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,480) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

@Todd, is there any way you can make emojis a little bigger? They can be difficult to tell apart on my laptop (and it's high-rez), and near-impossible to make some of them out on a phone. :beer:

8. Todd

Not without impacting text spacing, etc.

officerbill and bbtkd like this.
  9. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (584) Mar 28, 2009 California

10. officerbill

officerbill Aspirant (266) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Thanks
    :+1::clap:

mickyge likes this.
  11. mickyge

mickyge Champion (843) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader