West Coast IPA, New England IPA, and all in-between. Where to go now?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mambossa, Jun 18, 2017.

1. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (178) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

There. The respective coasts have had their booms, and are still soaring. Brews of the California shores crashing with bright bitterness, pristinely-attenuated malt, soaring citrus, and overhwlemingly dry pine. East Coast dripping with sluggishly lavish & tropical ripe fruit, rich texture, softened edges, and taking the hop to a foreign, densely brimming plateau. Some breweries in-between are balancing both; providing us with the resinous bitterness of the west coast, and the brooding, yet enlightening pillowy, fruit-laden, full bodies of the north east.

The future of IPAs can ride this high, possibly for a long while. But where do we go from here? Fruited IPA is losing touch. Black IPA is a difficult, yet sometimes beautiful bastard child. Brewers have accomplished so much. Once the haze craze dies or, most likely, oversaturates, where does this leave us when the trend bursts?

2. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Disciple (317) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

3. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Savant (912) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I think it's reasonable to think that a new fad may take some time to emerge. I mean, West Coast IPAs are still very relevant (if not The Standard) even though they've been around for years. NE Style IPAs are riding high now and the foreseeable future has them in a great place.

Like any other trend over time, people get tired of the "same old, same old" and start to venture into the new fads. it will take time for NE Style IPAs to hit the backburner and be overtaken by something new.

what will that new style be?
    -Rye IPAs when done well really hit the spot for me
    -Wheat beer IPAs, something very smooth and clean yet well hopped
    -fruited IPAs
    -full bodied, full flavor low abv IPAs
    -very piney IPAs

If I had to guess, I think IPAs are creeping back into a lower abv range. Low ABV IPAs are already thing but I think a brewer(y) will come out with a full bodied, full flavored IPA at ~5% and blow people out of the water. I don't know who and I don't know when but I think low abv session IPAs will be the next star.

mambossa likes this.
  4. mambossa

Beer Trader

Agreed 10000000000000000%

5. mambossa

Beer Trader

A local around my area, The Brew Kettle made a session IPL called Awesome, and it was, and still is, the best hoppy Session I've ever had. I mean you could barely tell it was a lager. They clearly loaded every perceivable inch of their kettle with immense mid and late boil hops. It was beautifully obliterating. I believe it was under 5% as well.

Possibly IPLs?

Wiffler27 likes this.
  6. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Aspirant (264) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama
    Beer Trader

I agree with the low abv ipas. I used to be only all about the big 9-10% enjoy bys and hopslam and ruination etc, And still am! However instead of saving those for my. One nightcap I'd rather be outside with my kids mid-day enjoying something 5-7% casually where I can still function and drive after and not wait til I'm about ready to go to bed to enjoy

7. tlema1

tlema1 Meyvn (1,249) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Midwest IPAs, then Deep South IPAs, then Canadian IPAs, should I go on??

8. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Savant (912) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

i had a local IPL that was 7% and it was amazing. then again i've had a different big IPL and it was terrible. i think IPLs could be a new fad

9. eppCOS

eppCOS Disciple (335) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Subscriber

I'll be in the minority and say I just wish there were more widely available black IPAs. Don't care about region or coast.

beertrip, srw, MistaRyte and 4 others like this.
  10. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Crusader (708) Feb 5, 2014 Texas
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I would love to see Rye IPAs well! I also love both NE and West Coast IPAs but sometime all I really want is DFH 90 Minute.

11. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (159) Mar 28, 2011 New York

All IPAs all of the time on this site.

I predict more and more people will expand their palates as they become mature beer drinkers or just get over IPAs and other styles will creep up in popularity.

But rye and black IPAs are great already, I know which ones I like and they won't be improved by "innovation" like adding hibiscus flowers, lactose, oats or whatever people line up for these days.

maltmaster420 and ESHBG like this.
  12. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Meyvn (1,222) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

Quadruple IPA's

13. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (211) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Agreed. I love IPAs but have been cutting back on them recently (although I never drank them exclusively, always had other styles on hand and bought beers to try to do my part to show breweries that there is still a demand for beers that aren't hoppy) and it does get annoying when you want to try something new that isn't an IPA and you can't find much. Watching a solid Helles beer collect dust while a barely mediocre IPA flies off of the shelf hurts my heart. :wink:

As far as fads go it's anyone's guess but I hope that the fruit added IPA fad doesn't get bigger and I agree with the others about lower ABV ones, the DIPAs are great but as I get older and drink much less than I used to they just aren't a good choice for me for many occasions. I also think that we may soon start to see a swing back to the old school style and less of the low bitterness tropical fruit juice bombs, as what is old one day becomes new again, especially in the craft beer world.

14. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,784) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

What does "losing touch" mean? There are certainly a number of 'motivated' BAs who post their personal thought about adding fruit to IPAs but does this translate to the broader craft beer market not buying these beers?

Sierra Nevada recently released Sidecar and Stone has released a number of hoppy beers that include fruit additions. I was at a Sierra Nevada Beer Camp even yesterday and saw plenty of folks lining up to drnk Sierra Nevada Sidecar and Stone Tangerine Express IPA (just two examples).

Cheers!

yossle and Squire123 like this.
  15. BruChef

BruChef Aspirant (218) Nov 8, 2009 New York

CIPA-Chicha IPA

16. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Zealot (524) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

second MidWestIPAs - the perfect balance between juice and bitterness. Decorah is Waterbury/Santa Rosa.

[​IMG]

17. mambossa

Beer Trader

You're right, that is my personal opinion, I guess what I meant to insinuate is that it's not a new "boom style" anymore. Everyone and their mother has a fruited IPA now, it doesn't mean it's bad or doesn't sell, but it's an already well-traveled frontier in terms of IPA.

18. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (1,923) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I'm so sick of new IPAs. Just can't stand trends. Give me hops, some citrus, and pine. Keep it simple. If I want orange juice I'll drink Tropicana.
    #justpissedoffentirebeersnobcommunity

VABA, sefus12, sculls65 and 1 other person like this.
  19. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Disciple (357) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia

This. Black IPAs. More choices, more availability.

20. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (1,904) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

A sophisticated, experienced, educated and mature beer culture in the US is where we are heading. Whatever type of IPA or other styles, American brewers make better and great beers and consumers can distinguish the great beer makers from the amateurs. Local amateurs won't be supported by local fools/sheeple. That is the future and a better future.

PS: I'm a big fan of Rye ales.

#20 bubseymour, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  21. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,784) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

I personally will reserve judgement here and see how well fruited IPAs sell in 2017 (and 2018?).

I am personally not a big fan of fruited IPAs but maybe the more casual craft beer drinkers are?

Cheers!

22. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (213) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Away from IPAs would be nice.

Pantalones and Urk1127 like this.
  23. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,223) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I'd just like to see more subtle styles with subtle use of new breed of hops. Less is more for me. I work a lot and like to drink a lot and I want lowish abv beers that don't kill the palate. Ipas are fine but getting up past 7% and double dry hopping kills my taste and I'm a cook, I need my taste buds.
    This is why my favorite styles are pilsner, saison and hefeweizen, Sublety is key for me. I can drink 5-6 beers on a work night and not feel like shit the next day.

Jacobob10 and Squire123 like this.
  24. BWood

BWood Zealot (593) Jan 4, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Russian imperial pale ale....RIPA!!!!

tlema1 likes this.
  25. mudbug

mudbug Zealot (593) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

Two words, Malt Liquor

tlema1 likes this.
  26. TheMattJones88

TheMattJones88 Initiate (73) Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Shhh... More Danko for us...

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe likes this.
  27. Squire123

Squire123 Meyvn (1,289) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Pilsner IPL, yeah, that's gotta be it. Easy to remember, easy to say and it separates us on the edge from those stuck on IPAs which are so yesterday.

VABA likes this.
  28. pinyin

pinyin Disciple (310) Sep 19, 2013 New York

I would like to see more dry hopped pilsners and dry hopped german style lagers.

29. rgordon

rgordon Defender (684) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Victory and Stoudt's make some nice drier German-style beers. I've had a number of tasty IPLs. And yet, the balance and pure malt, noble hops, yeast and water of something like a fresh Augustiner is so close to perfection for my palate and drinking needs that I need not search or dream too far.

Squire123 likes this.
  30. HorseheadsHopHead

HorseheadsHopHead Savant (939) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Dessert IPAs are becoming a thing. Tired Hands, Omnipollo, and a bunch of other breweries keep putting out IPAs brewed with lactose, flour, vanilla, fruit, etc. I guess it's sort of an evolution of NE-style IPAs and fruited IPAs.

31. pinyin

pinyin Disciple (310) Sep 19, 2013 New York

Stoudt's Gold and Victory Helles are both good for the style, but too sweet, under attentuated and don't use dry hopping. I guess IPL would probably more so describe what I am looking for, but the problem with many commercially available lagers is that they are not fermented long enough.

32. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (215) Sep 7, 2006 Kentucky

Count me as one who hopes this does NOT become the next big trend (no offense at all, btw).

I would LOVE if some of the newer IPAs would get back to being in-your-face with the piney/weedy flavors of years past, especially if they can do it at 6% abv or under. Add in some rye to the grain bill and I'm all for it. Side note: I recently had an AlRyed AlRyed AlRyed by Sun King. It's a rye IPA brewed with crystal hops and the subtle dank notes were exquisite.

If we are talking trends in general, I just want more well-made lagers, especially of the German/Czech variety. SN Summerfest is a go-to of mine in the summer (especially in cans) but I really wish more American brewers could nail these styles. Heading to Chicago in a few weeks and I hear good things about Dovetail and their lagers, so maybe there's hope. Cheers!

ESHBG and ecpho like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.