West Coast IPAs in the Northeast

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by HorseheadsHophead, Dec 30, 2021.

1. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Me too. Earlier today while grocery shopping at my local Wegmans supermarket I had a six-pack of Head Hunter IPA in my hand but it was not exactly fresh so I decided to place it back on the shelf; I have a fresh batch of homebrewed Ekuanot IPA available now so...
    I understand what you are saying here. My speculation is that many (most?) craft breweries are producing their non-hazy IPAs to still have a softness aspect to motivate the Haze Bros to purchase those non-Hazy IPAs too.

I am still waiting to see if in my area Cold IPAs will become a 'thing' since they represent the ultimate in clean and dry, a west of West Coast IPA sort of beer.

Cheers!

P.S. On a related note I just added the dry hops to my homebrewed batch my version of Pliny the Elder earlier today. That beer will be very bitter, dry and aromatic from 'traditional' American aroma hops (Centennial, Simcoe, Amarillo and Chinook).

Rug, AlcahueteJ, Trumpetguy and 2 others like this.
  2. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Agreed. Most I try now from locals are more bitter but that’s about it. I really dislike how the appearance is still hazy.

DrStiffington and jonphisher like this.
  3. jonphisher

jonphisher Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I agree this tends to be the main thing in some of them and I’ll add to that…more bitter but not bitter enough. I understand that too which is why I’m happy many good ones do still exist.

AlcahueteJ and DrStiffington like this.
  4. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

I just remembered a good one! Maybe I or someone else mentioned it earlier, I can't remember. I don't know if you'd want to call it west coast style or just "classic American", but man oh man, Loose Cannon IPA from Heavy Seas is so underrated. I just remembered how great it is. Piney, citrusy, incredibly bitter but with a nice malt backbone. That's a great shelfie IPA on the east coast that gets overlooked and forgotten.

jonphisher likes this.
  5. Jcorn

Jcorn Jun 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I am having a hard time remembering many that I have tried brewed by East Coast brewers. You're right, I think they just don't really do them very often. But one I did really like is Serra from Resilience(Schilling) but I haven't seen it in a while.

6. Jcorn

Jcorn Jun 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

also a little love for Notch Left of the Dial. seems to be a forgotten beer but I still enjoy it, especially on tap.

7. OffTrail

OffTrail Aug 12, 2012 Washington

One of my favorite IPAs back in the day was Smuttynose Finestkind. I would be curious to hear where people place that on the spectrum. Mind you, it has been nine years since I had one, and I don't know if the formula has changed.

8. jonphisher

jonphisher Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

It disappeared here for a little, where I go, then saw again, now I never see it.

I used to refer to that beer as hop juice way back when, oh how the times have changed.

9. celtsfan33

celtsfan33 Nov 12, 2019 Massachusetts

Pretty much rotting away on the shelves sometimes here. I picked up a Sixers the other day, saw it was bottled in June, and promptly put it back. That being said, it may not be the same as it once was, but still really good when fresh.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  10. TheMattJones88

TheMattJones88 Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I found a six of it at Table and Vine recently that was bottled in Mid-October. Tasted incredible.

AlcahueteJ, Sheppard and jonphisher like this.
  11. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

I'm starting to think there might be a WCIPA revival in the northeast/east coast, even if it's just a small one. KCBC, mostly known for their fruited sours and NEIPAs, has started regularly releasing WCIPAs, which they staunchly defend and praise. And I heard Frequentem (a haze/smoothie brewer from Canandaigua) has started releasing some WCIPAs after a trip to San Diego.

If I'm ever in MA I will definitely be trying Wormtown. Also, yeah, I remembered that Troegs Perpetual IPA is a great one. I used to drink that pretty regularly when I lived in NY.