West Dover, VT / Mt. Snow Vicinity

Discussion in 'New England' started by Mbarry7, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mbarry7

Mbarry7 Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2012 Massachusetts

I'll be making a 2-night trip but I'm lacking any beer-worthy knowledge of the area. Yes, I know the Waterbury area, Hill Farmstead, etc. is worth the trip but we have to stay somewhat in the area. Any good spots worth stopping at? Any spots in Brattleboro as we'll be passing through it. Also, is this too far south to pick up any Vermont rarities at a bottle shop?

Cheers.

2. mjeffri1

mjeffri1 Aspirant (260) Sep 4, 2008 Massachusetts

For VT standards its a pretty lackluster beer area. I do however recommend checking out out Apres Vous and Maple Leaf Malt and Tap, which are both in Wilmington (town directly South of West Dover). Apres Vous has a very solid selection of 20 or so taps which are always changing. Maple Leaf has around 10 all Micro taps with a few interesting choices.

Your best bets in Brattleboro for a bottle shop is the CO-OP and West Brattleboro liquors on Route 9, although you wont find any crazy rarities at either. McNeills is always a good bet as well.

If you find yourself heading to Manchester both Meulemans Craft Drafts (in Rawsonville essentially on the way) and Manchester Discount Bev are good spots (both used to carry Heady when it was more plentiful)

FrankLloydMike likes this.
  3. dumpstation

dumpstation Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2011 Vermont

pizza stone in chester 40 miles north is the shiiiit. can't take anything with but cool tap list and the food is great.

4. deanhead

deanhead Savant (1,176) Sep 2, 2005 Vermont

Brattleboro also has the the Whetsone Station which has some mighty fine beer on tap. Highly recommended you stop by this place if you get over here to the big city. http://www.whetstonestation.com/
    Flat Street has some good beer on tap, mostly BBC products. These two place are within walking distance of each other and the COOP.

The Pizza Stone is a stretch from West Dover. While it's only 40 miles away, it is at least in hour in the car. I'd recommend Brattleboro instead. It's only thirty minutes.
    If you do decide to go to The Pizza Stone consider hitting up Medetrina. It's a wine and beer shop with a solid selection of beers.

Have fun and enjoy the colors which are starting to show.
    Which route are you taking to get here?

5. Jwale73

Jwale73 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,942) Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Nothing to add, but Brattleboro is so small, it's all walkable. McNeill's and Whetstone are a must. The Co-op is your best bet for a bottle shop and is also downtown. Only hit Flat Street if you want BBC products - not sure where you are from, but personally, I would skip it. Definitely hit McNeill's - I love that place. If you are coming up 91, hit Ryan & Casey's in Greenfield for Bottles and the People's Pint brewpub beer and chow. Cheers.

6. Mbarry7

Mbarry7 Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2012 Massachusetts

Thanks guys. I'll be coming from Boston so I will coming up 91 and have to stop in some of those spots.

7. deanhead

deanhead Savant (1,176) Sep 2, 2005 Vermont

If you take the Mass pike consider stopping at Table and Vine in West Springfield. Their selection is better than Ryan and Cassey's. It's an alcohol supermarket. Stop for a bite to eat and some fabulous beer in Northampton. Consider the Sierra Grille or the Dirty Truth, both places have an excellent beer and good food.

If you are in the route 2 corridor than follow Jwale's Greenfield suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.