Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

British Columbia Westvet 12 and 8 Sighting in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Canada' started by FondueVoodoo, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FondueVoodoo

FondueVoodoo Feb 12, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Firefly tweeted today that they have a very limited one time shipment in of Westvleteren 8 and 12, single bottle sales.

2. Torontoblue

Torontoblue Jun 12, 2005 Alberta (Canada)
    Subscriber

Grey market offerings again?

3. Lurkaholic

Lurkaholic Jun 14, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Nice! I'm still holding onto a few from last year so I'll probably pass this time - very cool that more are coming in, though. Wonder what the bottle date / pricing will be like? I think the 12s were close to 20 in legacy when they were last here, and the 8s around 15. Found myself preferring the 8s fresh, but the 12s are starting to get delicious with a bit of age on them.

4. FondueVoodoo

Beer Trader

$22 for the 12 and $20 for the 8.

5. Lurkaholic

Beer Trader

Oof. Thanks for the info - think I'll stick to $7 Rochefort 10s this time around :) Good to know though!

OakedCanuck likes this.
  6. Lurkaholic

Beer Trader

7. FondueVoodoo

Beer Trader

And Brewery Creek - 3.35 per bottle cheaper.

8. kjyost

kjyost May 4, 2008 Manitoba (Canada)

... still pricey. IIRC I preferred my 8 over the 12 when I had them side by side.

9. FondueVoodoo

Beer Trader

It is a cheaper entry point than the previous brick release, especially if you are not looking for 4 bottles plus glasses. If I recall correctly it was $75 for the brick in BC which would be the same price per bottle for the 12's (ignorning the glassware).

10. Lurkaholic

Beer Trader

There was a grey market release around this time last year too (at least in Legacy) with 12s and 8s as well, before the bricks showed up around... February was it? Legacy mentioned at the time that their european supplier liked to give their accounts a crate of westies every year as a thank you, which I think is what's happening this time too.

11. Hornet2003

Hornet2003 Jan 26, 2006 British Columbia (Canada)

Save your money people, unless it's a curiosity. Rochefort 10 is incredible for just over 1/4 the price of the Westy 12.

I will admit that the price of entry for someone who has never tried it may be a little more attractive. $22 for one is probably a decent deal instead of being stuck with 3 more bottles (especially if you feel it is not a superior brew) and having to pay $75 total. Either way, worth trying if the price is right for you.

12. Rutager

Rutager Oct 18, 2010 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

There were 6 bottles in the bricks and that was still crazy expensive. Like others have said, it's nice to try once but at those prices once is enough. There are much better choices for your hard earned $.

FondueVoodoo likes this.
  13. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Oct 24, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

6 beers in the bricks. 16ST has the 12 for $17, or at least they did

14. papat444

papat444 Dec 28, 2006 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Will eventually get around i imagine to trying the 12 but that is an expensive price point for one bottle (for me anyways)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe