Westvleteren 12 vs Rochefort 10 and Bernardus 12

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bochman, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bochman

bochman Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2006 Florida

I am having a blind taste test to see if the most talked about beer is really all that it is cracked up to be. Three glasses 1,2,3. Three beer bottles hidden in the next room marked 1,2,3. There will be three rounds and evaluations made. It will be recommended to consult Beer Advocate or any other site for help. Have any of you done the exact same test or something similar. I am an old guy beer veteran and my two co-tasters will be young twenty something's. Let's see what happens. I will post the results here later today.

sholle, spookyspeeg and itchytasty like this.
  2. JWing

JWing Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2012 Virginia

Having tried the Rochefort 10 and Bernardus 12, I am very interested to see your results.

3. bochman

bochman Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2006 Florida

The results were close. Westy was by far the most distinctive, easiest to recognize and it was my favorite overall pick. One other picked Westy and another chose the Rochefort. I am still undecided if the difference in quality that we noted justifies the $15 per bottle and rare availability as well. These three were all great brews. What do you have to say out there in beer land?

4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Did you shoot a video like this guy?

Cheers!

5. RobertColianni

RobertColianni Pooh-Bah (1,705) Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Rochefort 10 wins every time in a landslide.

6. RyFikes

RyFikes Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 New York

I haven't had all three, but Rochefort 10 is the greatest beer I've ever had.

7. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2012 Missouri

We did it and added Chimay Blue to the mix. Westy 12 won.

azorie, hallandoates and Jugs_McGhee like this.
  8. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

I did this recently. Rochefort had a slightly better flavor (I'm a huge fan of their yeast strain). But St Bernardus won overall based on mouthfeel (so creamy!). Westy came in third.

Happy too see other opinions here and excited to see how your tasting goes!

FlussigkeitMut and semibaked like this.
  9. YieldToNothing

YieldToNothing Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2013 New York

i have tried all 3, never in a blind taste test though

my order is
    abt 12
    rochefort 10
    westy 12

10. matedog

matedog Crusader (421) Jan 25, 2010 California

The important take away is that the hassle and money required to obtain Westy 12 is not really worth it.

11. YieldToNothing

YieldToNothing Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2013 New York

this. i only bought two bottles because i was in a bottle shop in brussels that had a few on the shelf. 15 euro a pop. drank one after i got back to new york and liked it a lot, but not best in the world status.
    still sitting on another one, hoping it blows me away but its doubtful

12. beerme411

beerme411 Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2010 California

Blind tastes test should include at least 2 glasses of each beer. You can split the bottle between two glasses. Or even have the number of glasses be unknown to the tasters and have them sort out which ones are similar. Like have 1 glass with west 12, 3 with rochefort 10 and 2 with abt 10. That way you can see if there really is as much of a difference as you think.

13. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2012 Missouri

If you have Westy 12 on draft at the monastery, you will absolutely determine that it is the best beer in the world and there could not possibly be a better beer in existence.

14. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2008 California

I did this on New Year's. Westy won in a landslide, with La Trappe Quad coming in second. Chimay Blue was a distant last, and Rochefort 10 just barely ahead of it -- everyone hated its sticky sweet finish.

15. highdesertdrinker

highdesertdrinker Pooh-Bah (2,492) Nov 5, 2012 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I haven't had the Westy but I prefer the St. Bernardus over the Rochefort by a slim margin. I think the St. Bernie is a little sweeter and I can pick the fruit out a little better on my pallete while the Rochefort has a little more of a Cognac/Brandy flavor with some serious heat. I would happily take either one anytime.

16. jbertsch

jbertsch Pooh-Bah (2,710) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

A while back I did a quick side-by-side test (not blind) between Westy12 and St.B 12. I chose Westy.

But this weekend I'm doing a proper blind test and throwing Pannepot into the mix.

17. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2012 Minnesota

What kind of IPA are these beers?

KBlodorn, archimon, MrDell and 65 others like this.
  18. kodt

kodt Pooh-Bah (2,262) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I did this same test, but also included La Trappe Quadrupel.

Westy 12 won, I think three placed it first and one placed it second.

Rochefort 10 was second, with one first place, two second place, and a last place.

St Bernardus Abt 12 was third with four third place rankings

La Trappe Quadrupel was fourth with three fourth place and one second place.

One guy for some reason changed his ranking on La Trappe right at the end to move it up to second and move Rochefort to last... I think he was just sick of drinking. Shortly after he collapsed on the couch. Probably shouldn't have have started with 2 Hopslams and a Lagunitas Sucks...

19. Rohkey

Rohkey Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2013 Michigan

I can't imagine how good these must taste. I disliked quads the first time I had one a few months ago, but my taste has evolved and La Trappe's quad is probably the best beer I have ever had. I have a couple St. Bernardus 12s and Rochefort 10s in my cellar, but am waiting for a friend to come over to enjoy them with...

20. tectactoe

tectactoe Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

Did Westy 12 and Abt 12 side by side once. Could barely tell a difference - both were amazing. That said, based on availability and price, Abt 12 was the winner. I like both of them more than Rochefort 10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.