Belgium westvleteren crate dimensions

Discussion in 'Europe' started by pturrr, Apr 5, 2013.

1. pturrr

pturrr Oct 15, 2012 Russian Federation

Can anyone please post here dimensions of empty westvleteren crate. I wonder if it could be taken aboard like a carryon?

Thanks

2. Brabander

Brabander Oct 10, 2009 Netherlands

In centimeters: 49 by 34 by 24 (high) cm. I don not think you can take it with you on board because of the fluid inside the bottles....

Thijs

adamstivala likes this.
  3. pturrr

Thanks! No, bottles will be in a luggage while empty crate on board :)

4. Brabander

Brabander Oct 10, 2009 Netherlands

Ah i understand; one crate is 9 centimeters high so you could put the two crates on each other!

5. pturrr

Thanks, Thijs.

6. ventura78

ventura78 Nov 22, 2003 Massachusetts

I've put the whole case with beers in it, in my suitcase before. worked out well, but it weighed a lot.

CaptainPiret likes this.
  7. SammyJ

SammyJ Mar 14, 2013 North Carolina

Trying to figure out transport options myself. The empty crate fill fit onto a carry on. Thinking I wrap each of the bottels in a tshirt or something and put them individually in the hardest part of my suitcase and tape the word "Fragile" on it. Don't know for sure.

8. DStoked

DStoked Sep 28, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Buy some beer shippers.

9. pturrr

we've carried two crates in a luggage and bottles were wrapped into socks and t-shirts in a suitcase . all went just perfect

10. SammyJ

SammyJ Mar 14, 2013 North Carolina

So I'm assuming you took the bottles out of the the crate, wrapped each individually and threw them into the middle of the suit case. You had 24 bottles in a suit case? Quite heavy, no?

Did you put the wooden crate in there as well?

11. pturrr

Yes, we wrapped each bottle individually and put them into suit case. We had 2 suit cases and 15 bottles in each. I've put wooden crates into a big packet, wrapped it in polyethylene and banded it with tape

12. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Apr 5, 2006 California

have you had luck buying beer shippers in Belgium?

DimensionX likes this.
  13. DStoked

Beer Trader

14. mrkrispy

15. DStoked

Beer Trader

I doubt they are selling just the bottom...why would they do that? The guy who shared said he always uses it for trades and that boxes are easily obtained at supermarkets. Seems like it should work just fine.

16. DStoked

Beer Trader

David_MrBox likes this.
  17. mrkrispy

I guess you found your answer in the other thread before I got a chance to respond (they do not come with tops).
    Doesn't seem like a good way to go vs. the risk and having to spend time hunting down a cardboard box while on vacation.

That is a bummer because British Airways wants $100 to check a second bag roundtrip.

18. DStoked

Beer Trader

Yep. I'm going in two weeks, and I think I'm going to buy these and bring them with me. BTW, shipping back to USA from Belgium will be WAY more than $100, from what I can tell. I'm checking a box of 12 and paying the $100.

http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Boxes/Kitchen-moving-boxes/Wine-Shipping-Kits?mid=169

19. mrkrispy

20. jfh

jfh Apr 25, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

This might not apply to your situation, but it might. We travel with a regular cooler (Thermos 34, roughly 12x12x22 inches) and bring beers both ways on trips. Perhaps you could buy one in Belgium and pay the bag charge one way? Counts as one bag, the big thing is weight. I tried to carry a case of Pliny, but it's over 50 pounds, so I cut down the number of bottles. We've carried all size bottles and growlers, never had a problem. Here's how we do it: Go to a thrift store and buy bath towels. Rip them into pieces that are big enough to go around a bottle. Use a thick rubber band (like from a bunch of broccoli or asparagus). to hold the towel around the bottle. Fill the cooler, with absolutely no space for things to move around. Use bubble wrap or newspaper or clothes to fill the space. Stand bottles up or lay them down, it doesn't matter. I duct tape the cooler shut and have a nylon strap around it to keep the lid on. My cooler's been on numerous trips to NYC, to San Diego and to Denver. Next stop for me is Amsterdam/Belgium in a couple weeks. cheers,

CaptainPiret likes this.
  21. ventura78

I've used Armaflex insulation to bring a lot of beer home from Belgium. It looks like this

http://www.johnstonesupply.com/stor...on/c1027909-c1027706-c1026962-b200744-p1.html

It comes in 6' lengths. The size that fits 12oz bottles is 2 1/8" ID. Cut them into 1 foot lengths and stuff them into your suitcase on the ride over. For added protection you can bring a bit of packing tape with you to seal the ends. The stuff works great, 1/2" foam wall around your beers. You will have to find a local Air Conditioning supply house to get some. Don't buy the kind that is already split.

jfh and DStoked like this.
  22. DStoked

Beer Trader

Damn, I love this. Price? Gotta be pretty reasonable right?

23. ventura78

I think it was like $1 per foot. maybe cheaper.

24. mrkrispy

If we could get them for Cantillon bottles we would be set!

25. ventura78

26. riko

riko Jan 18, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

Wouldn't bubble wrap and rubber bands work just as well, cost less and use less space?

27. mrkrispy

IME bubble wrap needs a lot of packaging tape on the ends to keep from sliding off. I didn't have luck with rubber bands (I used the kind that come on broccoli and stuff in the supermarket)

28. riko

riko Jan 18, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

Odd, I've never had bubble wrap slide off. I use rubber bands that come on the newspaper. I also pack all the bottles snugly in the suitcase so they don't slide around.

29. ventura78

Space wise I think it comes out about the same. Cost wise, you usually throw away bubble wrap, armaflex can be used over and over again, and you can't pop it. All you have to do is slip the beer in, tape the ends if you want and you are done. I trust it more .

30. adamstivala

adamstivala Jun 29, 2014 Florida

I'm going to attempt just using cardboard boxes as checked bags this weekend purchased from a storage company nearby, has anyone tried this? thanks!

31. atpca

atpca Jun 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I've checked bottle shippers dozens of times without any problems. Some times the cardboard gets too beat up to reuse but I've never lost a bottle.

32. byronic

byronic Nov 8, 2013 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Speaking of cardboard. I just shipped 9 bottles individually wrapped in bubble wrap, in a plastic bag inside of a cardboard box, inside of a suitcase. Unfortunately I lost one bottle. I can only assume that the suitcase was inspected and the bottle was dropped as it was completely shattered.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe