Belgium Westvleteren news!

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Brabander, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Brabander

Brabander Oct 10, 2009 Netherlands

I got the news from brother Michael a few weeks ago but now it's final! The beerpickuppoint from the abbey is going to sell sixpacks (and a sixpack with two small chalices) for the visitors! Doesn't matter if you have a reservation or not, you can buy the sixpacks as long as they have them that day. I don't know what the costs will be but this will make it easier to get Westvleteren ath the abbey than before.

Check the site: http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/brouwerijactueel.htm

Cafe In de Vrede sell sixpacks now and then but this new selling idea from the abbey seems to be more frequent and constant.

Thijs

2. Ruds

Ruds Sep 15, 2008 United Kingdom (England)

Timed that badly - I'm over next Saturday so only the 3 packs of mixed available!

In your experience do the supplies of these tend to last the day or do they run out?

Also - is it worth asking for a 6 pack next Saturday (20th) or do they tend to be pretty strict and sell only what they advertised?

3. Brabander

You can always try i guess. It seems that the bricks are also for sale. If you want to ask do so when there are no other people at the beerpickuppoint.

Good luck!

Thijs

4. Ruds

Cheers Thijs - how much do the bricks sell for and is that at de vrede or the brewery?

5. Brabander

I just mailed brother Michael for the prices. When i have an answer i will mail it. The beers will be sold at the beer pickup point. When you are really lucky the shop of the Cafe In de Vrede will also sell 6-packs....

6. Flyingfish

Flyingfish Oct 20, 2012

Hi All - this is my first post.

Picked up a crate of TW12 at the abbey on Oct. 13th. At the time, they were also selling mixed (blond/8/12) bags of six bottles. Not sure if there was a limit. They were also selling boxes of six glasses for 20 euros. In addition you could buy yeast tablets and jam/jellies at the cashier.

The bits:
    Since I was only in the Holland/Belgium for four days and only the last two days was in Brussels (I had to attend a conference in Holland), my window of opportunity was narrow. I tried calling to make a reservation for TW12 for pickup on the 13th. Couldn't get through using my mobile phone - kept getting a "call failed" error. Could never figure out what was wrong and tripled checked that my caller ID was not blocked (?). Luckily the refreshed reservation calendar indicated that there might be another opportunity to reserve TW12. So I tried again using a land line at a friend's place and got thru! But the only date for pick up was four days after my return flight! I had read somewhere else that an early pickup is possible as long as you are clearly on the list for pickup at the later date. This may be at the discretion of the monk at the pickup point. Bottom line is that the monk didn't give me any grief. He just confirmed I was on the list at the later pickup date and I purchased the crate of TW12. I wrapped each bottle in bubble wrap and put each in a ziplock bag. Everything made it home intact.

Other notes:
    I had purchased two large Westvleteren glasses at the cafe (didn't really need six) at 4 euros each (happened to be very last two glasses they had). Brought the wooden crate home, too. I had rented a car throughout the trip. Bring a GPS device to navigate through the country roads.

Anyway, hope the info helps others making the pilgrimage!

7. doopiedoopiedoo

doopiedoopiedoo Oct 2, 2010 Netherlands

Wow, you were very lucky to get through and get a reservation. Devine intervention?
    Good for you.

8. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Beer Trader

I wish they would brew the Special 6 again.

digita7693 likes this.
  9. Brabander

It´s funny you are mentioning this...i wanted to ask brother Michael and brother Benedict if there is a chance that they will brew the six redcap for once.....would be nice!

Thijs

10. Ruds

Visited the pick up point last Saturday - Six packs on sale

The six pack is in effect 2 x 3 packs (one of each beer) in a plastic bag

Cost = E18

No bricks or beer and glass combos available at the pick up point or at in de vrede

11. Brabander

What you have bought was the old configuration of the threepack. The abbey stated it was only possible to buy the threepacks that saturday. I guess they will start selling this week. Wednesday i will know more because i will visit the abbey

12. Brabander

I was at the abbey two days ago and the sixpack were sold for 20 euro. Not only in the Cafe In de Vrede but also at the beershop of the monks. You can buy two per person at eacht shop....

The also sell a kind of brick for 24,50 euro. Six bottles of the 12 and two small chalices.

Thijs

13. BobZ

BobZ Jun 24, 2009 Massachusetts

Hi Thijs,

It's interesting that the brick sells for 24,50 euro at the Abbey. That equates to about $32.00 currently.

The release of the "bricks" in the U.S. has been delayed multiple times with no one really knowing when they will be eventually sold, the latest rumor is November. The price for a brick here is the U.S will be a minimum of $85 (about 65,50 euro) although that is the distributors "suggested" price meaning many retailers will most likely try to sell them for more.

Of course most Belgian beers sell for a premium in the U.S.; however, this price will still be seen as high and it will be interesting to see how quickly they sell!

Prost!

Brabander likes this.
  14. Lutter

Lutter Jun 30, 2010 Texas

Well, it'll certainly be cheaper than a roundtrip plane ticket to Belgium and a rental car! :)

Of course Texas isn't even going to see those overpriced bricks, so the point is moot.

15. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

The title of this thread kind of got my hopes up. Before I read it I thought "maybe they're finally exporting to the states!"

16. GoodOmens

GoodOmens Feb 18, 2011 Virginia

Do they sell six packs every day or just specific ones? Any tips to get one ie get there early?

Considering going on either a Wednesday or Thursday.

17. Brabander

The ways of the monks are not always clear! It is not to say if and which beer they will sell. This is 'as long as they have the beer available' in the sixpacks. With some luck you will be able to buy not only at the abbey but also in Cafe In de Vrede! Cross fingers when you go and do not forget to check this site to be sure they are open:

In de Vrede: http://www.indevrede.be/languagee/index.htm (Thursday closed!!!!!!!!!)

The abbey: http://www.sintsixtus.be/nl/brouwerijactueel.htm

Thijs

18. listenatjoes

listenatjoes Oct 22, 2009 Pennsylvania

Well they day of reckoning has finally arrived in the US: 12.12.12. Some have acquired their Westy 12 bricks already when stores sold them ahead of time but today is the official release date in select locations in the US (sadly not in PA). But that's OK to me - a special BA (call him the patron said of beer trades) helped me to acquire Westy 6/8/12 on my last visit to Brussels over a year ago. And those beers continue to put smiles on the faces of those who try them!
    But what I really came here to post is this question: Is this you Thijs who is mentioned in this NPR article that millions of Americans heard/read this morning?
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...-needing-new-roof-monks-sell-rare-beer-in-u-s

boddhitree likes this.
  19. yinzer

yinzer Nov 24, 2006 Pennsylvania

Interesting article, but some of the comments make me very sad.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe