Germany Weyermann

Discussion in 'Europe' started by JonathanL7890, May 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonathanL7890

JonathanL7890 Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

I'm going to Bamberg at the end of July and would like to tour Weyermann Malting. I also hear that there is a small brewery on-site.
    Has anybody done this?

thanks!
    Jonathan

2. papagobrewing

papagobrewing Initiate (19) Sep 8, 2009 Arizona

I've been there a number of times. Great hospitality and yes they do have some nice beers in their pilot brewery. Unless you are with a group the only public tours are on Wednesday afternoon.

Cheers, Ron

3. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,016) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry Beer Trader

I have, but it was a privately arranged tour. Not sure if they just open tours of the maltings up to the public. Their gift shop, where you can buy their beers from the pilot brewery (and some pretty cool schwag), is open to the public. The on-site pilot brewery is my dream set-up:

[​IMG]

4. Jwale73

Jwale73 Poo-Bah (3,552) Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Stop by Cafe Abseits - they had a really good Weyermann experimental brew on when my friend and I visited last month as well as awesome, fresh Franconian beers. It's also walking distance from Weyermann. We were only able to visit the gift shop when we stopped by though.

5. Bierman9

Bierman9 Poo-Bah (4,194) Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

I toured Weyermann with my daughter in 2010, with a Japanese brewing intern. It was arranged by a brewing friend from here in the states. Unsure if they do tours for the public...... Got to see their malting set-up, and their mini-brauhaus... As mentioned, Café Abseits has some Weyermann brews available.... Prosit!!!

6. JonathanL7890

Beer Trader

Thanks guys. I'll try and contact them for a tour.

7. TreinJan

TreinJan Initiate (135) Apr 13, 2006 Netherlands

8. JonathanL7890

Beer Trader

The tour was a bit of a disappointment. We had a mixed group of German and English speaking people (mostly English) but it was mostly in German. We visited the roasting room but they were unable to take us to the other process rooms (germination, drying) due to manufacturing/safety issues. I understand that they have to run their business but it made for a crappy tour. The beer at the end was good but you can buy that at the fan store or Cafe Abseits.
    I wouldn't go again unless it was through a contact on their technical staff.

boddhitree likes this.
  9. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Disciple (390) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

Sorry you didn't have a great time but thanks for reporting back. Any chance we could talk you into a full Trip Report for your stay in Bamberg?

10. boddhitree

boddhitree Devotee (482) Apr 13, 2008 Germany

ditto…. hope you took notes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.