What ABV do you consider a beer to be "strong"?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Smithrob9999, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smithrob9999

Smithrob9999 Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2011 Texas

When I first got into craft beer I remember thinking a 6% beer was pretty strong because it was quite a bit above the normal light beers people were drinking at the time. Then as time went on a 7% IPA or Dubbel felt like it was just trashing my palate. Even my first over 10% Imperial Stout was a huge turning point.

I feel like now after Mephistopheles, BCBS, 120 minute, etc I almost consider a Stone Enjoy By a refreshing beer and Sculpin is damn near a light beer.

Is anything over 5% still considered a strong beer, it's seems like maybe the bar should be raised to at least 7-8%. What do you guys think.

apbaj likes this.
  2. Pahn

Pahn Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 New York

above 6% is strong for me.

3. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2006 Alabama

above 8% is my personal dividing line for "high ABV". "Strong" is a bit more subjective :wink:

4. Donco

Donco Devotee (486) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

5. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

Probably 8% and up, but then again you could define strong in terms of flavor of alcohol in the beer rather than the number on the bottle.

6. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

Depends where my tolerance level is. Pretty much agree with the OP though. I used to not like beers above 7% but now I tend to enjoy sipping on high ABV beers. I generally consider 7% or higher as "strong" ... In general.

7. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,917) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Anything over 5% for me.

Just because craft brewers on average are brewing stronger beers these days doesn't mean my ability to process alcohol has risen as well. If a beer is 5.5% abv, I'm not going to have a six pack of that particular brew. Unless I'm at Oktoberfest of course, then all bets are off.

8. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,989) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I still think of 'Doppelbock Range', or around 7% abv, as where the high gravity territory begins.

9. MassiveBeerReviews

MassiveBeerReviews Initiate (120) Apr 12, 2012 New Jersey

12% and up for me.

That being said I wish there some kind of magic to make my 6-8% beers tasted like my 10-16% beers!

Always a battle between taste and abv for me.

puboflyons likes this.
  10. ParkbrauFan

ParkbrauFan Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2014 Iowa

I agree with Donco anything 12+

Donco likes this.
  11. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (668) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

8% or higher.

jrnyc, nc41, doppletheGOAT and 2 others like this.
  12. Flibber

Flibber Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 England

It's hard to say. For cask beer anything 5% and above is strong, but that's just normal for a German lager isn't it? And nothing at all for a Belgian beer.

13. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Poo-Bah (2,620) Feb 27, 2005 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I draw the line at about 8%.

14. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,161) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina

15. luisfrancisco

luisfrancisco Initiate (173) Dec 1, 2009 Mexico

I would agree on the 7-8%. I think it also depends on FG of the beer. My senses are not calibrated like a professional instrument, so the aftertaste sensation also counts. A dry beer seems more quaffable. I could say a 7% dry IPA does not go down as heavy, but might consider a 7% dubbel somewhat strong.

JayORear likes this.
  16. jj139

jj139 Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2013 California

Generally 7%

deleted_user_373835 and cherche like this.
  17. HugeBulge

HugeBulge Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2012 New York

It all depends on the style .9% for an IPA and above 15% for a stout

18. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (8,548) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

My personal take is 8.0% ABV or higher.

jrnyc likes this.
  19. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (11,464) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

20. KYGunner

KYGunner Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2012 Kentucky

This is a good discussion point...8 percent seems to be the dividing line for when beer qualifies to be aged so I would justify 8 as strong.

21. StLeasy

StLeasy Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Illinois

You might eventually feel like most/all IIPAs are pretty refreshing.

IMO, it's just an easy-drinking style. Many times, they seem just as easy, if not easier, to drink than many beers with 3-4% lower ABV. IIPA's tend to not be very prickly, the sweetness of the malt cancels out most of the bitterness, and a heavy dry-hop makes for a very bright and quickly-disappearing beer. No doubt the higher ABV helps with the more-ishness.

I consider ~7%+ strong.

Loganyoung and doowhat like this.
  22. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

It's between 6 & 7 .

23. PA-hunter

PA-hunter Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2013 Pennsylvania

I thought 6% was high when I first started with crafts, but I still classify 7% as my own dividing line when calling something "strong" in regard to it's posted abv.

24. SierraJosh

SierraJosh Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2013 California

Double digits, it's a mental thing for me.

25. gcamparone

gcamparone Poo-Bah (2,017) Dec 6, 2011 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

26. OPJohn

OPJohn Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2013 Florida

Not to be nitpicky but the term Strong can mean so many things regarding beer. OP, I think you're referring to alcohol level in your beers. Generally, I prefer mine in the 5-8% range if i'm consuming more than one.

27. JackXCI

JackXCI Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2013 North Carolina

Double digit for me

28. TravisSaps

TravisSaps Initiate (112) Feb 3, 2007 Tennessee

6.3% for me because that is what Tennessee lawmakers tell me it should be.

29. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (407) Feb 19, 2013 Kentucky
    Trader

I can drink barrel strength bourbon neat. Alcohol burn isn't a problem for me. I guess it forces me to drink less.

30. marleyr

marleyr Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2014 South Carolina

8% and above

Invinciblejets and jrnyc like this.
  31. racer2k

racer2k Devotee (421) May 21, 2004 Massachusetts

I feel like 8% is the point in which the ABV is getting high. Though drinking Heady Topper for thei first time you would never know that it had 8% abv on board given the smooth hoppy flavor in the can...There are so many main stream beers between 6.5-7.5% which seems to be the new average on the craft scene

Invinciblejets and jrnyc like this.
  32. mcrago

mcrago Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2012 Indiana

I think another question to ask is how many beers do you typically drink. I think some people may go for lower ABV beers because they want to drink a 6-pack. Personally, I think 12% or higher is strong, but I can also easily enjoy 1 or two beers and call it a day...

kinmundy77 and doowhat like this.
  33. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Disciple (316) Aug 23, 2013 Iowa

I'd. Have to say 7%. Seems to be the Mendoza line for APA to IPA/DIPA

34. jefffalcone

jefffalcone Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 Massachusetts

Yup. totally agree. Enjoy by is easy drinking, but it's still 9.4%, and that 9.4% will hit you just as hard as some boozy unbalanced thing that comes in at 9.4%. How strong it tastes, or how easy it goes down shouldn't enter into this conversation.

I would also agree that if you're talking about craft today, around 7% is definitely above average ABV.

I also agree with the op's point. Craft beer is mostly fairly strong. 6% seems to be the average, which ten years ago would have been considered strong.

I warn people who aren't beer geeks if I give them anything 8% or higher. 7% is probably stronger than they are used to, but everyone expects the fancy beer to be a little strong.

Ozzylizard, StLeasy and TongoRad like this.
  35. jefffalcone

I love you for mentioning the mendoza line. Opening day is just around the corner

36. jefffalcone

Is this heaven?
    No it's Iowa

TravisSaps likes this.
  37. jefffalcone

What is a realistic person doing here? I thought we were all ridiculous jerks

Jerkheart, doowhat and zid like this.
  38. Yellolab2010

Yellolab2010 Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2014 Pennsylvania

9% or higher is getting into that strong range which I am continually changing to the up side as I go, I'll say 10% now since this took me 20 seconds to type!

Ozzylizard likes this.
  39. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (3,413) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

Pretty much anything thrown out by us in this thread is hyper-subjective. That said, 8% or above fits the definition of strong in my book.

Aestro likes this.
  40. ChristopherShain

ChristopherShain Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2014 Michigan

The one that lays me to rest.

Pahn, dianimal, doowhat and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.