What American beers have you seen consumed abroad?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by EBeckett3, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EBeckett3

EBeckett3 Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2013 New Jersey

Not asking about your consumption, but about availability of American product abroad and the consumption of the same. Curious about how well-travelled our better beer is, particularly in countries with strong brewing traditions.

2. EBeckett3

Not asking about your consumption, but about availability of American product abroad and the consumption of the same. Very interesting that you found the Italian brewing so good - might be a future trend, just as Italian wine importers began to feature "local" wines along with the featured (and higher priced) items. Lol at the hop fix - yes, we have become more than obsessed!

3. LotsofLupulin

LotsofLupulin Initiate (0) May 5, 2012 Colorado

Had some Arrogant Bastard and SNPA in Sri Lanka. It was a god-send after weeks of Lion Lager and Carlsberg

HawkIPA and EBeckett3 like this.
  4. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,330) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Yeah- I kinda did get what you were looking for at first, but then gave in to thread-drift temptation.

Honestly- either in Rome or the south, I didn't see anything American- neither BMC or craft. Like another poster mentioned, it's there but you have to know where to find it. Based on the Italian craft scene I saw, though, we are making inroads in that part of Europe. Some of the beers I had at Open Baladin were heavily inspired by American ales.

EBeckett3 likes this.
  5. EBeckett3

That is another fascinating topic - what influence are American brewers having world-wide? I find the collaboration phenomenon incredibly rich - DeMolen Rook & Leer on tap at Monk's in Philly a prime example; as well as Gnomegang; Brooklyn-Schneider Hopfen; BrewDog and Dark Star in UK, use of American hops in Europe, etc. There really is a brave new tradition being born!

TongoRad likes this.
  6. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (165) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

When I was at the White Horse in London getting tuned up before the Fulham-Newcastle match, the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale tap seemed to be getting a plenty of attention. Not by me though.

herrburgess and EBeckett3 like this.
  7. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,779) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming

Doesn't the UK brew their own Bud? I could be wrong.

8. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,354) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Mortlake, now closed. Where brewed?

9. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,779) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming

The Stag brewery used to. I got this on a Google search: "Budweiser is brewed by Diageo Ireland under license from AB InBev and has become a firm favourite since its launch here in Ireland in 1986."
    ?

10. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,021) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

To that, my answer is the same - zero. I saw some advertisement here and there, but no consumption in the visits I've made to Europe.

11. LikeHelles

LikeHelles Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2012 Texas

I found Victory Hop Devil in Vienna's first district.

EBeckett3 likes this.
  12. rickyk76

rickyk76 Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2013 North Carolina

When I was stationed in Okinawa in the 90s, I would pay my karate Sensei in Coors and once paid a mechanic with 5 cases of Bud to replace a broken rear window on my car. Cases were $11 each on base. They loved it.

EBeckett3 likes this.
  13. McStagger

McStagger Crusader (780) Jun 2, 2005 California

It's good for what ALES ya! Guys? Guys?

14. GuinnessAtRogerWilco

GuinnessAtRogerWilco Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2013 New Jersey

While in London last August (damn, that was a year ago?) I looked up and mapped out the beer bars around the city (London Underground, possibly the most efficient thing on the Planet). There were a few around the London Bridge wharf area, which was a great place to visit on a Friday late afternoon on a 75-80 degree sunny day. They have this one pedestrian street with bars and eateries lining both sides and the office crowd was out in full force standing outside the packed establishments with pints in their hands.
    I had Odells at one bar where I had lunch and they had other US craft beers I had heard of that don't distribute to NJ. There was this small craft bar near the outdoor market where loads of customers stood outside holding pints. They had a pretty nice draft and bottle selection, though I don't recall the 2 that I had there. I know I was selecting beers I couldn't get back home.
    A couple days later I was in another part of London within walking distance of King's Cross and they had Cigar City Jai Alai IPA. Yes, please! I ended up talking with the 2 bartenders and one of their best regulars for the next few hours while we bought each other rounds. Great lads. Rich and Ash were the bartenders and Paul was the regular and was from Ireland. We drank a lot of Belgian Sours/Lambics. I stumbled to King's Cross, still amazed I found my way back to my hotel. I think I had one of the Cantillon beers. It's a bit of a blur.
    If any of you visit London I recommend visiting the London Bridge wharf area. That was my favourite day in the city. I also visited a very small wine shop and knocked back a few samples of English wine. Yep, had loads of fun that day.

15. bobhits

bobhits Meyvn (1,168) Oct 31, 2006 Kentucky

How can the answer be zero if you saw marketing, which means it is there? Yeah I saw the mcdonalds sign but I didn't go in so clearly zero mcdonalds is available in america.

16. GuinnessAtRogerWilco

Addition: While in Dublin I pretty much saw the same 12 beers on draft, and most of them were what I would call generic Euros, like their versions of BMC. The one 'beer bar' I went to, the one bartender didn't have an understanding of what a Dunkel was. London's craft scene is light years ahead of Dublin's. If I had the money to open up an establishment there, I'd rule that town.

17. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,270) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

I thought ABInBev postponed* or cancelled closing The Stag Brewery in Mortlake (which was announced soon after the AB - InBev merger, IIRC). It's still listed as one of their 3 breweries in the UK on their Fact Sheet, and here's a recent (3/13) story on their corporate website about employees at Stag which ends with:

* EDIT - Looks like the closing was postponed: Mortlake's Stag Brewery to stay open until 2014

Bitterbill and hopfenunmaltz like this.
  18. StJamesGate

StJamesGate Poo-Bah (3,665) Oct 8, 2007 New York
    Beer Trader

Trust me, I live there. :wink:

EBeckett3 likes this.
  19. StJamesGate

Beer Trader

This was last August? You didn't do your homework:

There are now at least a dozen pubs in Dublin that specialize in craft beer, and 29 Irish craft breweries to go with them.

London is still ahead, I admit, but only because of the explosion of breweries they've had in the past 3 years.

20. steveh

The answer is zero based on the question:
    What's so difficult? I saw no American beers being consumed on my trips abroad. Everything I saw being ordered and consumed was native -- except for the 2 Ayingers my friend and I bought in London to change the pace -- and the last I looked, Ayinger is not an American beer.

21. GuinnessAtRogerWilco

I did Google beer bars for both London and Dublin. The London list was much longer than the Dublin one. I stayed in the Temple Bar area and Porterhouse is there. I have 2 of their Stouts at my store now. The bar that had the less than knowledgeable bartender was Bruxelles, which was touted as the best beer bar in the area. They had no craft beers there. Just the same dozen beers on tap I saw at every bar I was at in Dublin and some bottles of mostly German beers. I opted for a Dunkel, drank it and left disappointed. I'll admit I didn't get around Dublin like I did London because 1-my stay in London was longer thus I had more time to go exploring, and 2-Dublin doesn't have London's Underground. I didn't visit every bar off the Google list, but the ones I did visit were meh.
    The ones in London all had a good variety of US beers, not just the new breweries of English craft, though they had them as well. It was a good variety.

22. StJamesGate

Beer Trader

Why Google?

Not to state the obvious, but: http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/list?start=0&&c_id=IE&city=dublin&sort=rating

And agreed; Bruxelles is a horrible pub (though one of the few open til 3am), I can't imagine who said it was in any way a beer bar.

EBeckett3 likes this.
  23. EBeckett3

As Poldy mused "a good puzzle would be to cross Dublin without passing a pub". I lived in "Hurdle Ford" in '95-96 and drank mostly Guinness and Irish whiskey. While Dublin may not be cutting edge when it comes to beer selection, it more than holds its own in terms of consumption, conviviality and craic! Up Dublin!

24. Hanglow

Hanglow Defender (638) Feb 18, 2012 United Kingdom (Scotland)

London is a world city, it's not really fair to compare it to Dublin really

And as was said in the UK+Ireland forum, the UK had a head start on Ireland in terms of breweries but Ireland has improved drastically over the recent past by all accounts

EBeckett3 likes this.
  25. PeterJ

PeterJ Initiate (69) Dec 5, 2012 California

Now that I think about it, I've never had an American beer outside of the USA. In trips abroad (HK, PRC, Syria, Lebanon, UK) I've never ran into an American beer I wanted to drink. I did consume copious amounts of Cigar City while I was in Tampa. Does that count? :slight_smile:

26. Finn

Finn Initiate (119) Nov 20, 2003 Pennsylvania

When I was in England a couple months ago the guys I was hanging with broke out a Firestone Walker 16. I also had some Deschutes out there, and a bunch more West Coast beers. But I mainly stuck to the cask ales....because...well, they're fresh and tasty there.

27. Dreizhen

Dreizhen Aspirant (263) Jun 6, 2013 District of Columbia

Honestly, for the price they were charging it wouldn't surprise me if it made it over in someone's carry-on luggage.

28. crossovert

crossovert Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

Sam Adams and Victory

29. crossovert

crossovert Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

so drink only american beers in america?

sacrelicio likes this.
  30. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

Better distribution than a lot of states here.

31. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

The OP said "have you seen consumed" not "have you consumed". And besides, why not get an American IPA or stout if you feel like it?

32. steveh

Yeah, and if you'd continued reading you'd have seen I addressed that as well.

Why not get an American IPA or Stout? Because most of the people I saw were happily drinking beer made in their own countries.

33. Zimbo

Zimbo Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)

At an Edinburgh tasting earlier in the year I took my place in a Darklord vertical. Very nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.