What are some of the harshest beers you've had?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Derranged, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derranged

Derranged Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2010 New York

Now I'll point the obvious that people probably have different ideas as to what "harsh" means. For me, I guess something that's boozy, has alcohol burn and as a result was not easy to drink/flavor was overwhelming. But just because something is boozy, it doesn't mean its harsh. For instance, Aventinus Eisbock and DFH WWS were boozy as hell but went down smooth for me. Of course this is all subjective.

The harshest beers I've had to date were

Smuttynose Wheatwine 2010 12.0abv.. That might have been the worst culprit, I felt the alcohol burning me stomach.

Bezelbuth, 13.0abv.

Samichlaus Bier bottled 2009 consumed in August 2011, 14.0abv.

EDIT:

How the hell did I forget Hair of the Dog Adam? This was absolutely brutal but some argue that I may have had a bad bottle. You have to read my review for this one:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/173/945/?ba=Derranged

2. burns3558

burns3558 Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2009 Massachusetts

2011 bourbon barrel quad was a harsh boozy mess

3. Derranged

Double Bastard was also a bit hard to drink but mostly because of the hops and sweetness, not sure if I'd consider it harsh.

gustogasmic and Beerontwowheels like this.
  4. DrDoitchbig

DrDoitchbig Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2009 Michigan

Stack High Gravity Lager. Smelling it made me shudder like I was about to drink cheap vodka, it may have singed my nose hairs. It's the closest thing to rubbing alcohol you can consume without death following.

Homebrew35 likes this.
  5. Derranged

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/21678/54660 Yikes.. Beers that cheap and that strong are scary. I'd still have to try it if I saw it, just for the novelty.

6. Rekrule

Rekrule Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Sam Adams Imperial White. Harsh in a terrible way.

Homebrew35, pschul4, afrokaze and 2 others like this.
  7. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2010 Arizona

2012 SN Bigfoot. Great flavors but man is this thing hot! Alcohol is a little much, could use a year or three.

WassailWilly and barleywinefiend like this.
  8. Derranged

I liked that beer, I didn't find it harsh. Although there was nothing to suggest it was a wit at all, definitely a fruit beer.

9. Gosox8787

Gosox8787 Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2009 New Hampshire

Great call on this one. I had it once and couldn't wrap my head around it at all. Just a weird, hard to drink, confusing beer. I never understood why they tried an Imperial Witbier for that series over an Imperial IPA.

10. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2011 Missouri

The harshest beer I have ever had is Devil Dancer. Just absolutely awful in every manner. They turned the dial up to 11 on every aspect of that beer. Brutal. If you think Big Foot or Double Bastard are rough you ain't seen nothing yet. Those are tame by comparison (and delicious I might add!)

11. keithmurray

keithmurray Pooh-Bah (2,943) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society

Smuttynose gravitation - for a quad, just unbalanced and tough to drink or enjoy

Primator dopplebock - flavors just didnt mesh, leading to a harsh beverage

12. JrGtr

JrGtr Pooh-Bah (1,689) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Avery's Mephistapheles, when fresh. I understtand that it's good with a couple years on it, but I've never tried it.

13. abraxel

abraxel Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2009 Michigan

I'll second Samichlaus, I could barely drink it! Of course, that was pretty early in my craft beer odyssey, so I might have a very different impression now that I'm a bigger fan of (well-crafted) big, boozy, and malty-sweet.

Duff27 likes this.
  14. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Harsh, huh? But it says "Smooth" (twice!) right on the can!

[​IMG]

15. muletrane

muletrane Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2006 Pennsylvania

Lost Abbey Angel Share (Bourbon Barrel Aged) Draft

Horribly unbalanced. Watered down bourbon flavor dominated the palate. Where's the beer???

16. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2011 Texas

Left coast asylum tripel

17. DrDoitchbig

DrDoitchbig Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2009 Michigan

Yeah and Popov is a smooth premium vodka.
    [​IMG]

afrokaze and shand like this.
  18. Rekrule

Rekrule Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I'm glad you liked it. Wish I had. I just found it combination of tart and boozy that didn't agree with my likes.

19. Derranged

Different tastes for different mates I reckon. For something like one might as well have a strong vodka and cranberry/sprite mixed drink.

20. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2010 Arizona

I am actually currently sipping on this. What a boozy mess this beer is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.