What are some of the harshest beers you've had?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Derranged, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bugdoc

bugdoc Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2011 California

Coffee is for amateurs, right? :wink:

I'd put in a vote for one or both of those Brewdog monstrosities, Tactical Nuclear Penguin or Sink the Bismarck. Just yikes.

yamar68 likes this.
  2. oldp0rt

oldp0rt Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2011 Canada (QC)

3. djs467

djs467 Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 Colorado

DFH Olde School Barylewine is waaay to hot for me.

Tony412, aorloski and match1112 like this.
  4. aficionado

aficionado Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2011 New Jersey

Those damned harsh, oaky Innus & Gunn beers are an absolute mess IMO.

[​IMG]

szmnnl99, dachshunddude86 and raymo55 like this.
  5. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

I have to go with Nogne O Red Horizon. It was a different sort of boozy burn... That beer taught me that Sake yeast belongs in Sake.

dachshunddude86 and Etan like this.
  6. BrianTheBrewer30

BrianTheBrewer30 Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2009 Massachusetts

7. cbutova

cbutova Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

I had the first batch of Avery Samaels last year and it really just tasted and smelled like raisins, not overly alcoholic but my god it was an intensely harsh raisin flavor, its like extracting pure raisins to a 15% alcohol tincture. The first time I had Dogfish Head Raisin d'Extra and a 4 year old 2007 Fort I thought they were pretty harsh in both alcohol and flavors.

8. mindfuldave

mindfuldave Savant (1,089) Mar 22, 2011 New Jersey

Had this early in my beer drinking career but i thought fresh stone IRS was pretty rough, had another with some age on it and thought it was much better. Also, fresh DFH Old school barleywine was pretty hot.

9. Domingo

Domingo Grand Pooh-Bah (4,146) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout and Beerlao Dark came to mind. Both tasted like they were made with some kind of harsh chemical.
    Nogne 0's Sweet Horizon was sweet to the point of being torture to drink, but I'm not sure I'd call it "harsh."

10. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2010 Arizona

I work graveyard, so I just got off work. Is it abnormal to have a beer after a days worth of work?

/didn't think so.

11. herrburgess

herrburgess Grand Pooh-Bah (3,053) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

New Holland Charkoota Rye. Tried to employ the Schlenkerla prescription and drink the equivalent of 3 pints to see if it would mellow, but it was more or less 100% Band-Aid phenols 100% of the time. Had a major headache after that session...not from the alcohol, but from the stress and muscle tension sustained with every sip.

jmgrub and Beerontwowheels like this.
  12. nrs207

nrs207 Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2011 Pennsylvania

I tasted the alcohol, but didn't think it was out of control. I got 4, and I'll be keeping my last 3 for a much later date. I'm interested to see how it ages. Thought it was good fresh though.

Double Bastard fresh was hard to drink for me. I have another bomber I'm going to save for at least a year. So much alcohol. Hopefully it ages like Old Guardian. 2008 is drinking great and I have a 2009 yet.

13. Zimbo

Zimbo Pooh-Bah (2,281) Aug 7, 2010 Scotland
    Pooh-Bah

More pain than pleasure in that bastard.

davelag likes this.
  14. teorn88

teorn88 Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2010 England

Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot was a sweet boozy mess drain pour to me.

And t'Smisje Catherine the Great Imperial Stout was nothing like a RIS. Once again a sweet boozy mess. My friend and I had both to dump it.

Lastly, Tuverbol tasted like lambic mixed with cheap vodka. It was full of chemicals and boozy. My third and last drain pour.

jlenik likes this.
  15. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

I know Sam Adams Triple Bock gets a lot of shit talking around these parts but when I tried my bottle of the 1997 it was the only time I have ever started to feel my stomach turn while drinking beer.

16. SageO

SageO Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2010 California

I don't consider most high-ABV beers "harsh", but for some reason when you mix high ABV with bourbon barrels they sometimes come across as harsh to me. No idea why, and I haven't run across the same issue with other barrel-aged beers yet. A few of the Lost Abbey beers have come across as harsh to me.

Blueribbon666 likes this.
  17. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) May 30, 2011 Alaska
    Deactivated

I'm not sure if this is the harshest, but that Amstel Light from what I remember of it was pretty hard on my tongue.

Winston_Smith and Blueribbon666 like this.
  18. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

[​IMG]

Instant hiccups. Tastes like carbonated HOT sauce. Had this at the Better Beer Authority (off camera). Thanks to Bogforce for sharing it, it was definitely an experience!

19. afrokaze

afrokaze Pooh-Bah (1,933) Jun 12, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

Double Bastard was a bit harsh but I still liked it. For whatever reason it got me way more drunk than any other 12% beer I've ever had though.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  20. wcintula

wcintula Initiate (0) May 2, 2010 New York

I hope this beer gets dropped from the Imperial Series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.